Does running pump 24/7 decrease life span?

Hi. I was worried about wearing down the pump and kept it running between 5-6 hours a day but if it will not cause additional wear then it makes sense to run it longer at a lower speed. I would consider 24/7 if the electricity was about the same, but I hope to get to 8 hours--then to 12 especially for the swg when it's warmer.

Reactions: markayash
Hi. I was worried about wearing down the pump and kept it running between 5-6 hours a day but if it will not cause additional wear then it makes sense to run it longer at a lower speed. I would consider 24/7 if the electricity was about the same, but I hope to get to 8 hours--then to 12 especially for the swg when it's warmer.
I wonder that also. I know some electronics last longer if they stay on but not sure about a pump

Reactions: Cena_sea
Pumps fail because leaks cause corrosion in bearings.

Electronics fail due to stresses from thermal cycles.

There is nothing in a pump to ‘wear out’ if it is leak free and running it 24/7 eliminates thermal cycles that stress the electronics and motor windings.

Constant cycling of a pump will lead to failure quicker then running it 24/7.

Builder had set pump to run 6hrs (1750 pool and 2750 spa) but I moved it back to 5 hrs based on pool maintenance’s (via builder) recommendation. I also didn’t realize the electricity usage is less than I ever expected.

So running 24/7 will not affect lifespan of swg then either? I also leave solar heat enabled. Thanks!

So running 24/7 will not affect lifespan of swg then either? I also leave solar heat enabled. Thanks!

Nope. SWG life is de[pendent on chlorine generated. If you generate the same amount of chlorine in 6 hours or 24 hours it uses the same amount of life.

Reactions: Cena_sea
Builder had set pump to run 6hrs (1750 pool and 2750 spa) but I moved it back to 5 hrs based on pool maintenance’s (via builder) recommendation. I also didn’t realize the electricity usage is less than I ever expected.

It amazing how energy efficient pool pumps have gotten over the old style. Mine says it’s using 330 watts which is crazy to compare that to 3 100 watt light bulbs we all used not that long ago

Mine drew about 120 Watts while satisfying the SWG. Without it i would have been well into the double digits. I'm interested to see if my new pump does even better, or if my 10 year old one was one of the first really efficient ones.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.