Its not that we dont like it, we just can not base a whole process to a single guy experience. We like science which is reproducible each time around, and copper has not demonstrated that. We have not told you to stop using it, we just dont want other people to think its alright.If you don't like my experience, well, it is what it is
Please don't take everyone's differing opinions personally, there is a wealth of community knowledge here. I would defer to them just due to years of combined experience they bring to the table. I just wanted to point out that just because you are suppressing your algae with one process (copper), it's not the same thing as sanitation against bacteria. It doesn't mean you can run your FC lower because you think the algae is being controlled with your ionizer. You still have to follow the FC/CYA chart.I'll make a point of not sharing unpopular viewpoints or experiences on TPF again. Point taken. I figured people would be a bit more respectful that I was just sharing my experience, without advocating anything. My mistake.
Hmm. I'm curious on this statement. Can you elaborate a bit more? What FC and CYA level do you typically keep your pool at, and what did you increase the FC level too when your kids complained about irritated eyes? What was the CC level before and after the FC raising?Actually the few times I've gotten more chlorine in the pool, my kids have complained about irritated eyes, etc.
Repe, while some of the comments here have unfortunately been snarky, from what I've read (and I've read for countless hours on this site) is that the science doesn't back up the usage of any sort of ionizer, UV, or ozone for an outdoor pool. Ultimately you need chlorine for an outdoor pool. Maintaining proper levels of chlorine will result in the lowest overall chemical usage on your pool while maintaining it to a proper level of sanitation.If anyone have or know someone with similar system, I would be greatly appreciated if can share tips and tricks need to know and how system been working generally.
There isn't such a thing as a chemical free pool. All things you add are chemicals. Copper is a chemical. Copper has known downsides, such as staining pools and turning hair green.Its not Ozone system and system are not allowed add CYA, Copper levels are to be kept 0.2-0.5ppm that amount should not stain pool. Do you have first hand experience or know someone with chemical free pool? I'm askin here if someone can share experience with similar system.
Actually they state in their website that unit makes chlorine, if heavy bather load can use OXI boost function to increase chlorine generation.What I'm actually finding while browsing their site is a couple things that don't look good. First off, they claim their system produces no chlorine. This is an issue as chlorine, bromine, and baquacil are the only three types of sanitizers approved by the EPA due to sufficient bacterial killing power. The EPA has approved certain other systems that work in conjunction with chlorine, such as the Spa Frog @ease system, but the key point is they still have some chlorine or bromine to act as the primary sanitizer and maintain sufficiently quick bacterial kill times to maintain sanitary water.
They pretty clearly says site too that basic chemistry need to check regularly. Including alkalinity, ph etc.. Maybe we looking different website.Another odd statement I saw on their site is that if you are filling your pool with pH controlled city tap water to never adjust your pH. While city water is pH controlled, once it is exposed to air carbonates start offgassing, which causes pH to climb.
Also, this description of how a salt water chlorine generator is complete, 100% utter BS. Well, it's BS with enough truth that it looks true if you don't understand what actually happens. This is straight from the above website, and I can't help but break down some of the falsehoods. Wow.If you are on City Water your pH has been adjusted by your Municipal Water District; don’t add any chemicals to change it – ever.
No. They produce chlorine gas, hydrogen gas, and hydroxide ions (OH-). Now, if you take sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and dump it into water, it dissociates and makes sodium ions (Na+) and hydroxide ion (OH-), just like dumping salt (NaCl) into water gives you Na+ and Cl-. Hydroxide ions do lower the pH of the water, but guess what? When the chlorine dissolves into the water, it makes an H+. The H+ and the OH- combine into...water!Salt water pools work by adding 300-400 pounds of salt to your pool water, then adding more every year. An electrolytic chamber with up to 27 very thin titanium plates is plumbed into your pool plumbing, usually in the return line. When the pump is running the power supply for this chamber is energized, sending a low voltage DC electrical charge to the chamber. When the salty water flows through this energized chamber the sodium chloride (salt) in the water is separated into sodium hydroxide (soda ash or Lye) and chlorine gas. The chlorine gas does what it does to keep the water clean, and then it gasses off or forms calcium chloride or turns back into salt.
So while hydroxide ions are made, with is to some extent like adding lye, they are immediately turned around and converted back into water.2H2O + 2Cl- --> Cl2(g) + H2(g) + 2OH-
Cl2(g) + H2O --> HOCl + H+ + Cl-
H+ + OH- --> H2O
Nope, it doesn't feel soft because of the "Lye" cause there is no Lye. It has a different feel because of the salt. Full stop.And the water feels very soft; this is because of the Lye in the water. But Lye is not good for your eyes or your skin, now matter how good it feels.
What? Where did this high alkalinity come from? That has only to do with your source water, and nothing to do with a SWCG. You always have to manage alkalinity, pH, and hardness to prevent scaling, pool damage, or skin/eye irritation, no matter how you sanitize (or don't sanitize) your water!The increased hardness of the water and high alkalinity levels also make it very caustic, so you are not saving your pool from long term damage. You will need to regulate the alkalinity, the pH and the hardness, and that means regular testing and more chemicals. Now the rest of the story: the electrolytic chambers are guaranteed for no more than 5 years, and they rarely last much longer. They need regular cleaning and are somewhat fragile, so be careful. They cost from $400 to $700 each.
This is totally wrong. You can get the same comfort by adding salt to any pool without a SWCG. You totally do have less work (rarely, if ever, adding chlorine manually). Because of the steady addition of chlorine you have less testing to do as well. Damage to the pool is avoided by proper CSI management, not by any SWCG or the lack of it.So what are you buying when you buy a salt water pool? Comfort - Period. Not less work - Not less maintenance or less damage. Not less chemicals. Certainly not less money. It’s no wonder the pool industry loves these systems.