Do I need to shelter the panel? SWG Install questions.

I would use the vertical install kit and go up after your pipe comes out of the filter.. Put the flow switch right of the outlet.. "your supposed to put the flow switch after a 12 inch straight section but I do not and it works fine" :)

This way with the install kit
View attachment 400391

This way without the kit, I am not sure if there is enough room so you would have to measure..

View attachment 400394
Thank you for the drawings. So, that pipe on the left is my return water pipe? Things I should already know... lol.

Another question for you guys.

Reading about SWG, it says never adjust your PH with PH down dry acid. I've done that once or twice in the new pool water. Probably equal to a whole jug of the "ph down", which is 4lbs or so.
Is that going to be a problem, or is it fine so long as I never use it again.

Goodmorning Strawberry.
My electrical is set up almost exactly like yours: One electrical outlet, one on/off switch. I just happened to already have an Intermatic mechanical timer there for the one speed pump I used to have. I ended up needing to replace it because the old one was old old and beat up.
I have it wired now to always have power to the variable speed pump (pigtailed off the lines), and to schedule the SWG. I ended up rewiring the entire pad from the ground up because everything was original and ancient.
As far as where to put the SWG...it looks like you could possibly put the flow switch on that horizontal run on the return side, and the SWG cell on the vertical run going down and out to the pool. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I went with the vertical kit myself.
And ALSO like you, my equipment pad is a little island out in the yard with no structures around it. I'm still trying to come up with a plan to fashion some sort of shelter for it. I'll include some photos for your enjoyment :)
PS: on my vertical install kit in the photos, I have the dummy cell in, instead of the live cell. This was immediately after installing everything and I wasn't ready to run the system yet. That dummy cell came in really handy with the install.

Attachments

• 20220225_143517.jpg
    20220225_143517.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220225_160015.jpg
    20220225_160015.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220225_160025.jpg
    20220225_160025.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: newdude
Guys... I did it! Haha. I convinced him to buy the SWG this year :D

I ended up going with the Core-55
But it was 1,699 (no tax! woo!) with the $10 upgrade deal.

I think the RJ60 plus would have been better overall, but I was really concerned with the amount of space I have and frankly the ability of us to DIY if it needed rearrangement/lots of electrical stuff lol. We are not that savvy. This one seems super simple and compact.

Aiming to install the SWG next weekend, most likely. I'm currently slamming the pool as we had a small algae bloom thanks to trying to conserve this expensive as heck bleach, that didn't work, haha.
I also had to order some CYA since the swg wants 60-70? Geez, the price on that went up, too!
everything else seems balanced. Haven't tested the current salt yet. Brought the PH to 7.2 and am going to slam for a few days. Water is basically crystal clear, just greenish in the deep end again.

Untitled-1.jpg

So the line in pink is my return water (yes, I should already know this lol), and is where I would install the SWG, correct? This model has the flow switch built-in as well.
I also bought the Gang Weatherproof In-Use outlet to replace the current outlet there. But someone else will probably be doing that for me...

The CORE55 series says it needs 11 inches of straight pipe to install... I measured, and have exactly 11 inches on the horizontal run before it hits the elbow joint... :LOL: Hopefully there is just enough room to not have to replumb further...

Is this an okay salt?
All else I really see nearby is Morton and Clorox which both seem to have bad reviews.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the drawing. That does look easy if it's needed!

Is there any reason I can't go ahead and add salt? It will likely be a week or so until we install the swg, and I am currently slamming the pool. But I know it needs to dissolve for a while.

there any reason I can't go ahead and add salt
Nope. Many people do for the feels without a SWG. Test before you add as you'll be surprised how much you already have and you want to creep up on the target like CYA because it doesn't come out without draining.

Due to HOA rules, I can't put a roof over my equipment. And if I could, how would I handle the required space above the heater? I'm in central FL. and the equipment is in direct sun for about 4-5 hours every morning. But I am curious as to why I need a roof or shelter - aren't all of the components designed for outdoor use in the sun (I mean, full sun should be expected anywhere a pool is going in!).

I never had a covering on my equipment pad in MI for 25 years, and never had an issue with my equipment (other than having to replace the heater one time... but that was due to age). When I moved to GA, my equipment was also not covered for the 10 years I was there.

I zip-tied a plastic container tub lid to the pvc pipes that connect to either end of the salt cell to provide shade while still keeping it open to the air. For the box, I have the Universal40, which is metal painted in gloss white and stays very cool to the touch in the direct sun.

Easy to use sunshade material. May not be needed, but 100 degree Texas sun can't be good for anything (other than beer drinking).

Wise doing it now, I haven't seen bleach at HD or Lowes in a while.

You will need a correction dose in the spring to get back on track (5-10 bags with a mesh or no cover, less with a solid cover) and most people need a bag or two mid season.

Another question!

I know the SWG lifetime is based on hours -
I typically run my pump all 24/7, so I assume I'll be able to keep the output of the SWG low, however, will it be running all the time? Does that mean it will last for less time than if I were to just run it for x hours per day? Or, does running it low equal to the same amount of 'use' ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.