Do I need to shelter the panel? SWG Install questions.

Strawberryshortcake

Bronze Supporter
Apr 22, 2019
Hot Springs, Ar
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Seriously considering switching to saltwater, if not this year then next. The price of chlorine is just outrageous as is the availability - last year every week was just a stress-filled "who has the bleach?" The only thing holding me back is the up-front price, we already have some debt to pay down on the liner...

But, one thing is that I notice most of the photos I see have the panel in some sort of closed environment or a roof or something. Is this required? My pump and filter are just sitting out in the elements completely exposed. I do want to build a small roof for it for sun protection, but we haven't gotten that far yet.

Here's an old pic of my pad when we installed all the new stuff. It's not elegant but it works :laughblue:
IMG_0675.JPEG

Or - is there something else here preventing me from installing SWG?

Straw
If last year was any indication where chlorine is heading this year will be worse. It's still early in the season and knowing a SWCG isn't pocket change but the flip side is you'll be more relaxed not having to look for it or just the thought of lugging jugs upon jugs all season long. Yes you'd need to shade whatever you buy to keep the elements especially the sun off it. Temporarily you may get away with some sort of beach umbrella. Your plumbing already has the perfect spot for am easy install. Just a side note I noticed your pump is not bonded as the lug has no wire to it.

Straw
If last year was any indication where chlorine is heading this year will be worse. It's still early in the season and knowing a SWCG isn't pocket change but the flip side is you'll be more relaxed not having to look for it or just the thought of lugging jugs upon jugs all season long. Yes you'd need to shade whatever you buy to keep the elements especially the sun off it. Temporarily you may get away with some sort of beach umbrella. Your plumbing already has the perfect spot for am easy install. Just a side note I noticed your pump is not bonded as the lug has no wire to it.
Oh, sorry, it is grounded! That was a pic immediately after installing the new pump and filter. We grounded it shortly after, I am just too lazy to go outside and take a current photo. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I did an easy 4x4 with 2x10 boards and a 2x10 on the top to keep rain off a little.. This is the north side so it stays out of the sun all the time... :)

1649156768907.png

I did an easy 4x4 with 2x10 boards and a 2x10 on the top to keep rain off a little.. This is the north side so it stays out of the sun all the time... :)

View attachment 399331
That looks great and easy to build! Thank you!

Husband is still saying not this year but I continue to push for it, lol. I'm currently looking at these two...

Both of those are 'buy the lower one and upgrade for $10' so the price is a bit less on each. My pool is roughly 25,000 gallons. Which I guess would mean I should shoot for 50K - or would the 40 be good? I can't really tell what the Edge vs Universal is all about, either. Don't know anything about them, honestly!

I have 15k gallons and I went with the RJ60.. At 20% the price and 50% more chlorine output it is the best deal going.. Also you will not have to run your pump as long and it will put less strain on the SWG running lower letting the SWG last for more years... :)

If the RJ45 with the upgrade to RJ60 is out of the price range the RJ45 will also work great but you will need to run the pump about 10 to 15 hours a day depending on time of year..

I have a 10k pool and recently went for the Universal 40. I am easily able to keep my pump run time below 5 hours in the summer.
No love for the older tried and true technology of the Universal series :)

Last edited:
I didn't even see that RJ60, thanks. I agree, if I was considering the 55, it just makes sense to spend a little bit more for the 60 for the huge jump in production. Would love not to have to run my pump all day, too.

Not sure I'll get my way this year but darnit I'm trying. Who thinks the prices will just go up next year? Maybe that can be my angle. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are up about $300 from last year, which was up about $300 from the year before.

I don't see anybody in any industry lowering their prices when 'things' get 'better' now that they have proved that people will pay XYZ.

Unfortunately I think prices are not going down, this is the new normal.. Companies are already making more profit from the prices lowering on there side..

I do agree the prices are probably going to keep rising. I asked him to stop and get some bleach today and it was over $6 a bottle...! It was $3 when we first moved to the house with the pool. Geez.
So..question! Looking at my setup, do I need this too?

I honestly haven't got a CLUE.

I'm starting a new thread because I've convinced my husband to get a SWG this year after I asked him to go get bleach and it was $6 a bottle (it was $3 this time last year!), the price increase of the SWGs, etc...

IMG_0675.JPEG

I've got a super simple setup. When I look at photos of SWG installs, it seems there is a lot more electrical stuff involved than my little breaker there. All that has is an on/ff switch to cut the power, and two outlets.

My pump is VS
I was reading I'll need a timer for safety? How do those hook up?

I'm looking at this SWG:

..Would I need this, too?

Where would the flow switch go if the cell has to be vertical? Is it okay for the switch to be vertical?

Please send help! o_Oo_O

The flow switch has to go after your filter or you could be backwashing and the cell would not have water flowing, but it would think it did.

The switch would go on the horizontal return pipe. On the vertical one, gravity could close the switch if it failed.

The SWG would go on the vertical return pipe.

You have plenty of room for both and no need for the kit. (y)

Just a thought for electrical. You can add another outlet box to the existing box and install a smart WiFi outlet for control of the SWG via app. You'd have to add a plug to the end of the SWG power cable and ensure the SWG is set up for 120 volts. If power goes out, the outlet will sync time with VS. Use an "in-use" receptacle cover to protect the outlet.

An easier option is replace the existing receptacle with a smart outlet and add a 2-gang in-use cover.

I'm a fan of KASA TP-Link smart devices. Good WiFi reception, good app, easy set-up, and reliable.

KASA KP200

I would use the vertical install kit and go up after your pipe comes out of the filter.. Put the flow switch right of the outlet.. "your supposed to put the flow switch after a 12 inch straight section but I do not and it works fine" :)

This way with the install kit
1649596242221.png

This way without the kit, I am not sure if there is enough room so you would have to measure..

1649596296497.png

Just a thought for electrical. You can add another outlet box to the existing box and install a smart WiFi outlet for control of the SWG via app. You'd have to add a plug to the end of the SWG power cable and ensure the SWG is set up for 120 volts. If power goes out, the outlet will sync time with VS. Use an "in-use" receptacle cover to protect the outlet.

An easier option is replace the existing receptacle with a smart outlet and add a 2-gang in-use cover.

I'm a fan of KASA TP-Link smart devices. Good WiFi reception, good app, easy set-up, and reliable.

KASA KP200
Thanks. That's interesting. However, I do not think my wifi will reach that far! :( The signal is almost non-existent right outside, and the outlet is many feet away from the back door.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.