DIY inground pool kit

Pool guys says he is trying to fit me in by the end of the week for the pool krete work. This has been a long road mainly with me working solo. A few days of very important help from some family members, but really no one with construction experience. Once this pool krete is in I am so close to water that I can almost taste it. I have most of the conduit in for the pool lights, I have to have that inspected for conduit depth before I can backfill. I need to dig one more trench for a length that would have too many bends to meet code if I followed the pit that is already there. I hope to have that dug in the next day or two so I can get that inspection done.

Are you running line voltage or 24v for lights? I'm guessing line if theres an inspection. Remember you need to go to a UL listed pool light Jbox you can bend PVC conduit amd fudge the 4 90s rule a bit
Haywood colorlogic 14 volt lights. I have it laid out so I am going to make the 4 90 rule I just had to dig an extra trench since the steps stick out 6' beyond the rest of the pool so I could keep that run straight. Behind the clipped corner there will be a 9' square section I might put a hot tub on at some point so I am running an extra conduit to the back of that corner so I am beyond 5' from the pool edge. I also ran an extra conduit to the back side where I am planning a waterfall in the future in case it needs another light. I am wondering if that extra length of conduit will prompt questions from the inspector.

I was told that in inspection was needed to check the depth of the conduit buy a pool builder. Not sure he knew it was low voltage though.

Edit to add. I just called and an inspection is needed.

Last edited:
Passed the inspection but only with some explaining. Somehow the line that I left to show where finished grade was going to be was not understood and I was told the conduit was not deep enough. Explained that there is two trucks of dirt coming in and the area was being built up to the line for the finished paver height of the paver deck. Maybe he did not see enough dirt to reconcile where we were ending, once I said two loads were coming in.....passed.

Finally I can start filling trenches in!!!

Reactions: kimkats
good outcome. Im surprised he busted your chops. low voltage doesnt need inspections or depth requirements in most places. always good practice to do so especially around a pool for current and future digging. the average house house lots of 24volt landscape lighting laying in a few inches of mulch where lots of rakes and shovels are playing year after year and they dont care about it......

good outcome. Im surprised he busted your chops. low voltage doesnt need inspections or depth requirements in most places. always good practice to do so especially around a pool for current and future digging. the average house house lots of 24volt landscape lighting laying in a few inches of mulch where lots of rakes and shovels are playing year after year and they dont care about it......
Yeah their justification was because it is getting line voltage from a transformer. Florida is special. The plans for the pool had to be signed and sealed by a florida licensed engineer even though they are ICC standard and accepted as is just about everywhere else.

The electrical inspector said he wants to see a water bond near the pump. He is not going for the ladder satisfying the 9 sq/in requirement. What do you guys recommend to get in line in the 2" pipe near the pump? I still need a sacrificial anode as well, any recommendations there as well?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can go all the way in reality. Im just always careful amd stay with backfill I'm OCD am 1/8" out and im freaking. Be careful with the liner, its big for a shop vac you should have 2 on that. Check all the wall bottoms to floor in shallow they need to be tight. Looks good it's a moment when you have water in the pool. This was the easy part. The rest is what I feel is the hardest and takes most time

You can go all the way in reality. Im just always careful amd stay with backfill I'm OCD am 1/8" out and im freaking. Be careful with the liner, its big for a shop vac you should have 2 on that. Check all the wall bottoms to floor in shallow they need to be tight. Looks good it's a moment when you have water in the pool. This was the easy part. The rest is what I feel is the hardest and takes most time
I will double check I had them all tight before I started filling it. I was busy with the main drains and did not thing to the check it. I am tired of shoveling dirt and around the end of the week is the earliest I can get my bobcat guy back in. I don’t want the water just sitting and don’t want to leave a lot of the liner exposed for too long.

it sometimes pulls the shallow end when starting to fill. I leave vacuums on until a foot or more of water in deep end. gotta make sure its tight. dont sweat water sitting in the pool. drop any sump pump or cheap garden hose pump in the pool with no hose on it and protect the pool bottom from it with something. run it and it will circulate the water just fine for time being, just throw some CYA in it to get close and some liquid chlorine and it will be just fine. I go weeks sometimes like this while other stuff is getting done

Where did you get your kit from? I am also planning a DIY inground (simple rectangle). Thinking about using Pool Warehouse and was wondering if you had experience with them.
I used pool warehouse for my kit as was happy with them. Just inventory your entire order before you sign off on BOL. I have a 20X40 with aqua genie skimmers and have been very pleased. The surface of my pool can clear very quickly. At the time I bought my kit I didn't understand much about the pumps. Highly recommend getting a variable speed. If I had variable speed I would run my pool all the time.

Where did you get your kit from? I am also planning a DIY inground (simple rectangle). Thinking about using Pool Warehouse and was wondering if you had experience with them.
I got it from Royal swimming pools. The service and advice was great. William helped me get everything just how I wanted it.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.