DE Filter, potential problem

workmane

Jul 1, 2019
PA
Hello everyone.....I bought a home with a pool 2 years ago, and this year I've tried taking care of the pool myself...I have a Pentair FNS plus 60. Here is situation, because of my ignorance, I have likely been running the filter without DE for a month or so. I took the whole thing apart yesterday and cleaned it, the filters go nice and white and clean. When i put them back in, and turned it on without DE, the pressure was nice and low, right at the "Start" arrow.

The pool is off and I will be adding the DE today. I know I messed this up, but I can't change that now, my question is, what signs should I look for to be able to tell whether the filters are ok or not after adding the DE? Can I judge based on pool clarity and pressure level?

Thanks!

W,

Your grids are fine if they look white.. When you run without DE, the junk can get embedded into the grids rather than in the DE itself.. Without DE, you basically have no filtering going on..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You need to open up the filter and check the grids for tears, holes, and debris embedded in the fabric first. If none of those conditions exists then you should be fine and you can add the DE. If you don't open and check the grids first, you may see a lot of DE return to the pool if the grids are damaged. It is normal to see a little puff of DE come out when the pump is first turned on. It will quickly dissipate and clear. If it looks like the DE is going to keep coming out and doesn't clear in a couple of seconds shut off the pump and inspect filter for damage.

Thanks for the quick responses....so the good news is, I saw no rips, tears, or stuck debris in the grids, so fingers crossed its all good and I dodged a bullet, will let you know how it goes!

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.