Davey Pump - Australian Wiring Confusion

May 14, 2017
Manassas, VA
Hello, i am sure there is an electrician that can answer this very easily.

I am familiar with the breaker and panel for wiring a standard US 240V 60Hz. I have an australian Davey pump that obviously has the following:
brown = hot
blue = neutral
yellow/green/yellow = ground

The pump calls for the following: Power Supply: Single phase: 230 Vac 50Hz*

Do i need a step up / down transformer? Something like this?

Or, can i just wire it directly to the panel and a breaker taking both hot leads to the brown hot, blue neutral to white neutral and ground to ground? I don't think so because the error message i am getting on the pump says low voltage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Here in Australia it is common for our mains voltage to vary from 220 up to 250VAC depending on location.

So in theory the pump should not have a problem with the voltage.

More problematic will possibly be the supply frequency. Depending on the motor design it may not work correctly off 60Hz.

Your wiring seems correct ie... Brown = Hot, Blue = Neutral and Green/Yellow for Ground.

Ma,

If you don't plan on getting rid of the pump, then your only choice is to wire it up..

Step down/up transformers do not change the frequency of the voltage.. The U.S voltage will not be an issue, the problem is will the difference in frequency cause any heat issues.

My guess is that it will work just fine, but I have no way to know for sure..

If this were my pump, I would wire it up and see what happened. What other choice do you have???

Thanks,

Jim R.

this one will be able to do what you want and provide the amount of power your pump needs but you can buy a brand new VSF pump for less..

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.