Darn if he didn't do it again!

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Ok....twice now that I've been witness to!

I'm wondering how risky this is to my pump though??? and looking for ideas on how to discourage Sheldon from climbing up *that* portion of the wall?

(copied from my previous event post for ease)

"The strangest thing happened yesterday-

I'm working outside and notice Sheldon, our Dolphin Discovery, climbed up to scrub right over the skimmer inlet. Not long after I hear the pump change sounds...really a new different sound... run over to the pump and the water inside the pump basket is awash in a water tornado!! I glance at my Skimmer inlet to note the water height is good (knowing if I was too low I'd risk sucking air) and look back at the pump basket and then suddenly its okay again. Calm, quiet pump and calm water in the basket.

Darn it if Sheldon didn't suck all the water out of the skimmer and cause my pump to have to reprime itself!! LOL LOL LOL

Well.... *thats* how good he is. :mrgreen:

Maddie :flower:"

Maddie do you remember the picture of the PVC "cage" someone made to go over their skimmer to keep people from leaning on it and blocking it? I bet you could make something like that to keep Sheldon away from it.

Kim:kim:

And I thought my exuberant TigerShark was a problem! Constantly goes way above the waterline sucking air and even goes upside down on my solar cover if it's on the pool... At least it's only damaging itself, but likely relatively minor as it's been doing that for at least two seasons, whether the high flow inlet is on or off the unit. Haven't caught it sucking all the water out of a skimmer... yet. I likely don't have as much flow into the skimmer as your pool with a longer plumbing runs and a lower HP motor so I doubt the robot could suck enough water out of the skimmer to cause a problem.

I don't think it's a major problem for your pump but certainly annoying! As far as discouraging it from going over the skimmer area, I'm out of ideas that would be practical or fairly easy. Installing one of those skimmer extensions might do it but Sheldon may just run it over or approach from the other side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.