Dallas Pool Build **update with final pool pics**

What is “Pentair Logic screen (R4 logic screen computer)”? Is that Pentair Easy Touch automation with Screenlogic?

If so you should be getting an IntelliFlo pump that can be controlled by the ET. The Whisperflo cannot be controlled by automation.

You should also consider the IntelliCenter instead of the EasyTouch.

Sorry I missed this reply, I am not sure if this is the easy touch automation with screen logic, he put this system on my dads pool when they did the remodel, it uses the screenlogic app, not sure if that's the same thing... I think he may actually be writing these bids with older equipment on them and then installing the newer stuff. I know for a fact he told me it was a variable motor, I will talk to him about it before the equipment is installed.

Here is a list of items to consider.
Pentair Intellitouch i5 or i8 with IC40 SWCG. Without SWCG, you will be adding liquid chlorine EVERY DAY during swim season.
Pentair CCP 520 cartridge filter
Pentair Intelliflo VS (with that size spa you may need two)
Maytronics robot
Microbrite LED lights are a good pick.

Sorry I missed this reply, I am not sure if this is the easy touch automation with screen logic, he put this system on my dads pool when they did the remodel, it uses the screenlogic app, not sure if that's the same thing... I think he may actually be writing these bids with older equipment on them and then installing the newer stuff. I know for a fact he told me it was a variable motor, I will talk to him about it before the equipment is installed.

You may be getting a Whisperflo VS pump but it will be suboptimal if the automation programs cannot adjust the speeds. The Whisperflo does not communicate with automation.

Also on the saltwater, that is 100% what I told her too, and tried to explain to her that with eczema she would enjoy the salt pool 100% more.

You should go with saltwater and not tell her.. The first time she gets in it, she will say "I love this pool.. I'm so glad we did not go with saltwater.." :mrgreen:

Equipment wise..

What is in your list is not a VS pump.. If you are getting Pentair automation it has to be a 3 HP IntelliFlo VS style pump. This is the only pump that Pentair's automation can control.

DE was the go-to filter about 100 years ago. I suggest a large cartridge filter.. I have used cartridge filters for the past 6 or 7 years. I will never go back to a DE filter.. With a cartridge filter you do not need a backwash line to the sewer, you do not need a multiport valve which will stick or start leaking, but the best thing is, you don't have to screw with DE. The plumbing is dirt simple.. out of the pump and right into the filter. I have the Pentair CCP-520.

For automation, the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic is old but still a great system. Just make sure that he is not trying to sell you a "Lite" version of the EasyTouch, which I would not even wish on my mother-in-law... You can tell as it has an "L" in the model # Like PL4 or PSL4..

If you do decide to go with saltwater, you should get the package deal where the automation comes with an internal salt cell power supply, the salt cell itself, as well as two valve actuators.

Just keep in mind that the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic, is just about the same price as the new Pentair IntelliCenter, which comes with a built-in system to control things from your PC or phone.

If I still used an old black rotary-dial telephone, then I would use the Legend cleaner.. But since I no longer even have a landline, and live in this Century, I'd go with a low voltage robot.. Like this...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Krysib
You should go with saltwater and not tell her.. The first time she gets in it, she will say "I love this pool.. I'm so glad we did not go with saltwater.." :mrgreen:

Equipment wise..

What is in your list is not a VS pump.. If you are getting Pentair automation it has to be a 3 HP IntelliFlo VS style pump. This is the only pump that Pentair's automation can control.

DE was the go-to filter about 100 years ago. I suggest a large cartridge filter.. I have used cartridge filters for the past 6 or 7 years. I will never go back to a DE filter.. With a cartridge filter you do not need a backwash line to the sewer, you do not need a multiport valve which will stick or start leaking, but the best thing is, you don't have to screw with DE. The plumbing is dirt simple.. out of the pump and right into the filter. I have the Pentair CCP-520.

For automation, the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic is old but still a great system. Just make sure that he is not trying to sell you a "Lite" version of the EasyTouch, which I would not even wish on my mother-in-law... You can tell as it has an "L" in the model # Like PL4 or PSL4..

If you do decide to go with saltwater, you should get the package deal where the automation comes with an internal salt cell power supply, the salt cell itself, as well as two valve actuators.

Just keep in mind that the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic, is just about the same price as the new Pentair IntelliCenter, which comes with a built-in system to control things from your PC or phone.

If I still used an old black rotary-dial telephone, then I would use the Legend cleaner.. But since I no longer even have a landline, and live in this Century, I'd go with a low voltage robot.. Like this...

Thanks,

Jim R.

On the pool robot, does it require anything special, from my understanding he told me the pool vacuum is free and if replaced it with something else, I would not get a credit. Could I simply buy the robot on my own?

Also the salt water deal is something we having been discussing and I posted on my neighborhood FB page to find someone with a salt water pool to have her go see it and talk to them to get perspective.

Could I simply buy the robot on my own?
That is the best way to get one. Marina Pool Spa in Denver CO has good prices and customer service. They sell them over the phone.
He is throwing in a Suction Side cleaner. Some use them. Many have switched to robots which clean alot better.

Reactions: Krysib
D,

Not sure how it could be "free".. Nothing is free.. :mrgreen: It is built-into the price somewhere..

I always recommend to just buy your own robot and not buy it through the pool builder.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If she had eczema she NEEDS a SWG. My step daughter has it bad and she's one of the reasons that made us get it.
She should be reading these comments today, hopefully she will agree to the salt water pool. I really appreciate the help, also based on my research, the materials we chose will not be hurt by the salt in the salt water system.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Guys need to ask a few questions.

1. They did the steel before the plumbing, is that normal? They will flash the pool today or tomorrow so the walls dont cave in.
2. When we started the pool the builder told me that we would put gravel in the pool to help with the movement in the soil, during the dig, he came back and told me that we would not need that, rather we will increase the size of the steel (to 1/2") and when we did the dig they compacted the dirt and dont need the gravel anymore.

Can someone advise? #2 has me freaked out, our subdivision is built up with fill dirt, and the house down the street only did injections to stabilize and void box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. They did the steel before the plumbing, is that normal? They will flash the pool today or tomorrow so the walls dont cave in.

Does not matter which they do first as long as they get the plumbing in before the gunite. Whichever trade gets in first does not have to work around the other.

I am not sure of your pool design but the location of skimmers and lights may need to work around where the rebar is.

Make sure your skimmers are properly tied to the pool shell and surrounded by gunite.

2. When we started the pool the builder told me that we would put gravel in the pool to help with the movement in the soil, during the dig, he came back and told me that we would not need that, rather we will increase the size of the steel (to 1/2") and when we did the dig they compacted the dirt and dont need the gravel anymore.

Can someone advise? #2 has me freaked out, our subdivision is built up with fill dirt, and the house down the street only did injections to stabilize and void box.

It takes a geotechnical soils engineer to advise you on your local situation and what the PB has done. It may work or it may not.

Compacting dirt under a pool is ineffective compared to having undisturbed soil. You can't compact dirt mechanically as much as mother nature will over time. With fill it can take piers going down to the undisturbed soil to support a pool.

Lots of PBs play the odds and hopefully deal with the few problems that occur versus taking a conservative and expensive building approach.

Does not matter which they do first as long as they get the plumbing in before the gunite. Whichever trade gets in first does not have to work around the other.

I am not sure of your pool design but the location of skimmers and lights may need to work around where the rebar is.

Make sure your skimmers are properly tied to the pool shell and surrounded by gunite.

It takes a geotechnical soils engineer to advise you on your local situation and what the PB has done. It may work or it may not.

Compacting dirt under a pool is ineffective compared to having undisturbed soil. You can't compact dirt mechanically as much as mother nature will over time. With fill it can take piers going down to the undisturbed soil to support a pool.

Lots of PBs play the odds and hopefully deal with the few problems that occur versus taking a conservative and expensive building approach.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I am a noob, wish I had found this page earlier so I could get on and learn before hand.

I am hopeful that we get a good pool and things would out well, but right now I am nervous too... He was referred to me by a friend of a friend who has a really nice pool, and he did a remodel for my dad (though it took a REALLY long time to complete)

We plan to stay in the house 3 - 5 years, but still want the pool built to the right standard.

He did quote aggressive initially, but he has been hitting us up with small fees that are running the cost up, but still lower than the next guy.

Sorry to start a new thread, but need some advice before I talk to my PB. (apologize for grammar/ spelling, fingers are frozen out here, it got cold)

We have had some "overages" and I am getting frustrated, but need to know if, maybe, I am the problem?

We had to pay

1. $2000 for small equipment fee (even though he know the access issues and charged me some premiums for it).
2. $1200 rebar from 3/8 to 1/2", PB states that rebar will help the pool from issues with our soil, no injections, no piers, no gravel (even though he told me they would do gravel for the void box).
3. $??? for flashing the pool, with gunite shortages, we are flashing the pool so we can preserve the shell, which I feel saves him money and now he want me to pay for this as well.
4. Not sure if he will ask for more on this, but we are moving the pool equipment 40 ft to the back corner of the yard, which is due to access issues, the equipment will be visible from the pool area and I will need to put a fence up to hid it which I will incur the cost on, but if he asks for the gas line/ electrical I might lose my mind.

Advice from the pros here?

Thanks everyone, I am sorry, maybe I am being emotional?

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk you off a ledge ???? Heck NO !! You and me are going full throttle, Thelma and Louise style. Holding hands and everything. (I’m a good friend like that)

There. Now that I hopefully made you smile I little, One or several of our construction pros will be around shortly to, ahem, *talk* you off the ledge. 😁

Every construction project should plan on 20% over for contingencies. Your contracted price is rarely the final price. If you come in within 20% of the plan you did good.

The small equipment access fee I would push back on and ask that he knew the situation at your property and what was he planning when he agreed to the contract with you.

The rebar upgrade I would pay. You don't want to tell him to just use the 3/8. What rebar spec was in your contract?

The other stuff you need to see how much it is. 3 figures should not be a problem.

HAHA, I needed that, its been a day with work as well... but such is life... Hopefully I can figure it out, I am happy he is moving MUCH faster than some other builders (based on a forum post or two) ... but would really like to incentivize his completion.

I am very good on keeping "on time" for payments and have always been quick, hope he isnt taking that to mean that I can "afford" the extra charges.

Every construction project should plan on 20% over for contingencies. Your contracted price is rarely the final price. If you come in within 20% of the plan you did good.

The small equipment access fee I would push back on and ask that he knew the situation at your property and what was he planning when he agreed to the contract with you.

The rebar upgrade I would pay. You don;t want tot ell him to just use the 3/8. What rebar spec was in your contract?

The other stuff you need to see how much it is. 3 figures should not be a problem.

The quote was 3/8 so that is the fee I don't mind, but I hope that is enough to stabilize the pool ... our neighbors pools needed injections (our lots were injected at the time of construction, not sure if they went that deep, or if they injected the whole lot, or where they build the houses)

Small access fee, I did tell him I wasn't happy with it, but even his sub contractor told me that the dig took twice as long (but that should come from his profit I feel)

I guess this is a learning experience for us, first time building anything ...

There are things to offer to split the difference. He underestimated the difficulty in your site. I would offer him $1,000 to share in the problem.

In my view you need to let a contractor make some profit. If you squeeze him too much then he will find a way to get his profit by cutting quality. Whether you like it or not you are in partnership with him for the life of the project. There has to be some give and take. And unless he is a complete screw up you have to let him make some money and put food on his table.

So pick you battles and show him you are willing to work with him and compromise. It is to your benefit.

Things like additional cost for unexpected weather needing to flash your pool is on you. If you pick up your side of the deal you can expect him to pick up his side when you have build problem due to his contractors.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.