CYA, FC... Max?

1. For testing FC and/or TC, when running a high FC like I need to, do you just dilute with 50% tap and multiply readings by 2 using the K2006? (like the high CYA testing method)
Are you using a 10 ml sample for FC testing?

There are two sample sizes you can use for the drop-based FC test; 10 ml or 25 ml. Using the 10 ml size will save your reagents. Add one scoop of powder. Multiply each drop of R-0871 by 0.5 (divide by 2). You'll still achieve enough accuracy.

The Taylor K-2006 kit is a little light on chlorine test reagents. You should consider ordering refills of R0870/R0871.

You need to drain at least half of your pool volume and refill.

1 - No. Tap water has chlorine in it. You can try using distilled water, but your test error will be well over 20%.
2 - Use % sodium hypochlorite for bleach concentration.
Distilled water seems the better option... forgot about that. Even then still 20% or more?

Any better options for testing high FC levels in my situation?

Also - plan to drain at some point, but not in the plan right now (logistics, equipment, and volume of water is causing issues doing that much)

Last edited:
Are you using a 10 ml sample for FC testing?

There are two sample sizes you can use for the drop-based FC test; 10 ml or 25 ml. Using the 10 ml size will save your reagents. Add one scoop of powder. Multiply each drop of R-0871 by 0.5 (divide by 2). You'll still achieve enough accuracy.

The Taylor K-2006 kit is a little light on chlorine test reagents. You should consider ordering refills of R0870/R0871.

Drop based, 9ml, DPD. And digging it looks like mine is the K2005, not 2006 (updated/edited... my sincere apologies - going off memory sometimes sucks!)

Reading the instructions it mentions repeating test with 4.5mL tap with 4.5mL pool water and re-reading to get approximate. Would guess that distilled instead of tap would yield close enough results for this purpose... thoughts?

At best it will tell you if you have chlorine. It might imply you are above 5 ppm or not. But that is about it for accuracy.

Reactions: proavia
With an above ground pool, you can use gravity to your advantage. I have drained my pool rather effectively just by siphoning through a vacuum hose.
I actually was considering that... but with a couple garden hoses. Vac hose definitely would be faster. Appreciate the heads up!

Given we have a housewarming party not to far out, and still so-so weather, may wait until heat of summer to drain/fill so I don't flood my already saturated yard from spring rains, and so warmup time is a lot shorter! Also gives me some time to confirm CYA levels more and get a better idea of how much drain/fill we are looking at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drop based, 9ml, DPD. And digging it looks like mine is the K2005, not 2006 (updated/edited... my sincere apologies - going off memory sometimes sucks!)

Reading the instructions it mentions repeating test with 4.5mL tap with 4.5mL pool water and re-reading to get approximate. Would guess that distilled instead of tap would yield close enough results for this purpose... thoughts?
You can order the FAS-DPD test separately and then your kit becomes the 2006 in effect. Here it is.

Reactions: colsoncj
Saw that too... Good find. Also similar to what Marty shared...

Since I have the test cylinder (large one in K2005 would work) and 003 reagent already, would only need the 0870 and 0871 reagents to be set I believe...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.