Current slam progress, POP is a struggle

May 1, 2015
Kaplan louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in Sw Louisiana and due to the hurricanes this summer and losing power for a week as well as my pump going out, My pool was placed on the back burner and I neglected to get it back up and running in time to prevent it from turning green. Currently I’m almost 7 days into a slam maintaining FC above 24 as my CYA is 60. I don’t have time to test and add chlorine every 2 hours so I’ve been overshooting my slam FC target to prevent from dipping below 24. My issue is my CC has been hovering around 1.5 and the pool water doesn’t seem to be getting any clearer. I plan to add a little DE to the sand filter once my CC drops below 1 and I pass an OCLT to aid in clearing the water quicker. Any other tips are highly appreciated as I’m trying to maintain my POP during the process but patience isn’t my strong suit. Current pool levels are listed below and I’ll post pictures but I don’t have a picture from when I began the slam last Monday.

FC 28
CC 1.5
CYA 60
TA 40
PH 7.22C15EFF8-0345-475D-8A69-6CB6A503D5D3.jpeg

Attachments

• D818F373-0917-4748-A90F-F682B34C1DB7.jpeg
    D818F373-0917-4748-A90F-F682B34C1DB7.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I did remove the ladder also and cleaned it up to make sure there wasn’t any algae hiding inside of it because I have had that problem a couple years ago. I’m also brushing the pool daily.

Stay at it. Are you sure there is no large debris (leaves, etc) in the bottom of the pool?
No need to go much above your SLAM level FC. If you can check the FC and add liquid chlorine at least twice a day at this stage you should be good

Stay at it. Are you sure there is no large debris (leaves, etc) in the bottom of the pool?
No need to go much above your SLAM level FC. If you can check the FC and add liquid chlorine at least twice a day at this stage you should be good
I had a lot of debris (leaves and mud) at the beginning of the week due to the storms and I’ve been raking it blind then scrubbing daily. I’m not getting much with the leaf rake and I don’t see anything on the bottom although the cloudy water doesn’t allow me to get a good view of what’s actually on the bottom of the pool.

Reactions: mknauss
You could try a deep clean of the sand filter. It may be gunked up and that could help clear it faster.
About a month ago I pulled the valve off and did about an hour of flushing with my water hose and got lots of gunk out. Should I replace the sand in the filter? It’s never been done and I’ve had the pool since 2013 but I’ve seen various opinions on replacing the sand so I’ve never done it.

No need to replace the sand and it sounds like you have already gotten the deep cleaning done. Keep trying to get stuff off the bottom, is probably the best plan. :)

Reactions: Nickllm
Update: I just did a mid day chlorine test and it looks like I put a dent in the CC as it’s now 0.5 so progress is being made. I plan to test again tonight and run an OCLT in the morning then I can just focus on water clarity. I went ahead and replaced the ladder and took another pic after brushing the pool.

Attachments

• 39119457-625B-41B3-BE3A-73F05F237CE3.jpeg
    39119457-625B-41B3-BE3A-73F05F237CE3.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Shirker and Snoobug
Hey Nickllm !!! Keep using your testing as ‘progress’, but stop looking to it for confirmation of how *much* progress. At any given time it may seem like a setback if more gunk got stirred up and used more FC than yesterday. See it for what it is, that you are killing stuff that needs to be killed and double down on the hunt to find what needs killing. Be it your ladder (Great job!!) or a hidden clump of crud somewhere on the bottom.

Patience and resilience aren’t easy, but they are the only 2 ways out of this. Rest assured though, they both ultimately work whether or not it’s disheartening today.

So chin up and finish this !!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is above SLAM level. It is very difficult to do an OCLT above SLAM level.

Once the pool water is crystal clear - then do a OCLT with the FC at or below SLAM level.
Thanks for that info, I’ve been trying to stay a little above slam FC target because I didn’t really have the time to adjust and test every few hours. I haven’t added chlorine since yesterday morning and I’m letting my FC drift down to slam target since I have time for the next couple days to really focus on it.

Keep at it Nick. I have done at least 3 SLAMs over the years and this one seems the toughest. I am on day 9 of SLAM here in TX. Lost filter due to freeze, took weeks to get replacement & an installer...big green mess. Definitely have some bouncing days; one night nearly no chlorine loss, last night about a 25% drop. However, water is clearer today than yesterday. It gets frustrating along the way, but the end result is always sparkling water.

Reactions: imrodee and Newdude
Keep at it Nick. I have done at least 3 SLAMs over the years and this one seems the toughest. I am on day 9 of SLAM here in TX. Lost filter due to freeze, took weeks to get replacement & an installer...big green mess. Definitely have some bouncing days; one night nearly no chlorine loss, last night about a 25% drop. However, water is clearer today than yesterday. It gets frustrating along the way, but the end result is always sparkling water.
I feel the same way because I’ve had our pool since 2013 and this is my 3rd slam and it definitely seems to be taking the longest. I had never let the pool get to the condition it was in after the 2 hurricanes and losing the pool pump so it’s definitely to be expected. I can tell a difference in water clarity today because although at first glance it looks like nothings changed I can actually see where my brush is on the bottom of the pool when scrubbing it so that’s a positive sign.

Attachments

• 48F6428D-D267-4855-881E-11E8B72D4203.jpeg
    48F6428D-D267-4855-881E-11E8B72D4203.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 8
If it held for the last 12 hours it will probably hold close enough for the next 12 hours. The SLAM target has been scientifically formulated to value the most FC without going to where it will degrade quickly on its own. It’s kinda like a double edged sword. You want the FC high (SLaM) but not too high.

Naturally people just want to blast the pool with FC and buy more time between testing/adding, but it doesn’t work perfectly that way and risks damage to the liner or equipment.

If it held for the last 12 hours it will probably hold close enough for the next 12 hours. The SLAM target has been scientifically formulated to value the most FC without going to where it will degrade quickly on its own. It’s kinda like a double edged sword. You want the FC high (SLaM) but not too high.

Naturally people just want to blast the pool with FC and buy more time between testing/adding, but it doesn’t work perfectly that way and risks damage to the liner or equipment.
Thanks, I’ll let it ride.

Attachments

• 6CD48175-833B-4161-BF7B-FB7F00B8D79C.jpeg
    6CD48175-833B-4161-BF7B-FB7F00B8D79C.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Snoobug and Newdude
Keep in mind, the chlorine test has a 10% error band within the test. So if you’re at 27, that’s +/- 2.7. Can make interpretation of the OCLT difficult.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.