Par4monkey

Jul 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. I have (3) sets of cartridge filters that I rotate through. Pool is only open May-Sept. This is my 5th summer with the pool.
Earlier this season I noticed one of my original Hayward filters cracked and thought it was just due to age. However, I am currently soaking a different set in filter cleaner and when I went out to “flip” the cartridge I noticed this set also has a crack (see photo).
My pool equipment sits below my pool. So when I turn off the pump at the breaker, I close all 4 valves (two going to the pump-skimmer and main drains) as well as the two coming off the heater (for the two returns). Then I open the pressure relief valve at the top of the filter housing. Next I open the drain at the bottom of the filter housing to allow the filter housing to drain. Lastly, I take the large clamp/band off to access the cartridges in the housing. The plumbing is plumbed correctly. The pvc from the pump goes to the inlet of the filter housing. I read about “deadheading.” Am I doing that based on the order of steps I described above? Should I open the pressure relief valve prior to closing the 4 pvc valves? Any advice is appreciated…as always! Thank you!

Attachments

• FFD4883D-DD63-449E-8415-88256240A7F5.jpeg
    FFD4883D-DD63-449E-8415-88256240A7F5.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 17
  • F5F22E93-D883-4D26-90B0-3A9D663FD525.jpeg
    F5F22E93-D883-4D26-90B0-3A9D663FD525.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 66758F66-30CF-46FD-A8CE-E65D808B94B9.jpeg
    66758F66-30CF-46FD-A8CE-E65D808B94B9.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 17
What is your normal operating pressure? Mine are 9 years old and 7 years old and none of the 8 filters have a crack.. did they crack during use or when soaking?

What is your normal operating pressure? Mine are 9 years old and 7 years old and none of the 8 filters have a crack.. did they crack during use or when soaking?
Hi. I’m not sure. I need to replace my pressure valve. But for 4 years I’ve never waited for the gauge to tell me when to clean the cartridges. I clean them frequently so I don’t think they cracked due to a
Buildup of organics/pressure. I didn’t notice the crack until they were soaking. I’m just wondering if it has something to do with me closing all the valves prior to opening the pressure relief valve and drain on the housing. Thoughts?!?

Those caps, at least in my experience, are very fragile so take care when cleaning the cartridge. Dropping them on the ground with just a little bump can damage them.

Those caps, at least in my experience, are very fragile so take care when cleaning the cartridge. Dropping them on the ground with just a little bump can damage them.
Ok, thank you. I typically do lift them about an inch off the ground spin them towards the sun and let them drop to the deck when trying to dry them. Maybe I’ve damaged them from doing that. Appreciate the response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.