Push/pull Pentair Backwash valve not sealing (?), replace internals or entire assembly?

CPM10V

Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I’ve noticed water leaking slightly from my pools backwash pipe so
I’m assuming the push/pull backwash valve is not sealing correctly? It’s a Pentair Triton sand filter & im assuming Pentair push/pull valve, guessing from the early 2000’s.

The valve housing is beat up from previous owner, cracked upper part of stem housing & the roll pin is messed up, doesn’t push/pull or rotate easily.

Should I buy a kit to just replace the internals or would it be better to replace the entire unit? In another year or two I’m renovating the pool so the equipment will all be scrapped. Thanks for any advice. I’d like to do this myself instead of calling somebody in.

5D802FA5-0F81-4D3F-A1F2-971226A0E138.jpeg

If the housing is cracked then the valve should be replaced.

You say you are replacing all the equipment. What will the new filter be?

I prefer an MPV to a Slider Valve.

Hi, I’ve noticed water leaking slightly from my pools backwash pipe so
I’m assuming the push/pull backwash valve is not sealing correctly? It’s a Pentair Triton sand filter & im assuming Pentair push/pull valve, guessing from the early 2000’s.

The valve housing is beat up from previous owner, cracked upper part of stem housing & the roll pin is messed up, doesn’t push/pull or rotate easily.

Should I buy a kit to just replace the internals or would it be better to replace the entire unit? In another year or two I’m renovating the pool so the equipment will all be scrapped. Thanks for any advice. I’d like to do this myself instead of calling somebody in.

View attachment 544906
Likely an O ring is damaged not allowing full operation of the stem. The valve stem in the picture is not in the "completely up" position (the roll pin will be above the black assembly) and will allow water to continue out the backwash line. A bad O ring can cause this. Its a 3/8" wrench to remove the two screws that hold the assembly in place. Use silicone grease on the O rings.

If the housing is cracked then the valve should be replaced.

You say you are replacing all the equipment. What will the new filter be?

I prefer an MPV to a Slider Valve.
I plan on another sand filter but larger with glass or the alternative DE media. Yes I’d definitely switch to a different valve style like you say when replacing the equipment.

Likely an O ring is damaged not allowing full operation of the stem. The valve stem in the picture is not in the "completely up" position (the roll pin will be above the black assembly) and will allow water to continue out the backwash line. A bad O ring can cause this. Its a 3/8" wrench to remove the two screws that hold the assembly in place. Use silicone grease on the O rings.
Thanks for the info, I’ll try the o-ring replacement kit you linked to. Would I just open up the bleeder valve on the filter first & then remove the two screws, pull valve assembly & exchange all o-rings (with grease)?

Thanks for the info, I’ll try the o-ring replacement kit you linked to. Would I just open up the bleeder valve on the filter first & then remove the two screws, pull valve assembly & exchange all o-rings (with grease)?
Yes. The top of the valve, the portion held in by the screws, should fit flush with the top of the body when done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.