Covered and unattended pool for three years. What are my first two steps?

Best advice I could give you is to exploit Andy's knowledge and local help, get a TF-100 test kit with speed stir, and do a full water replacement to get rid of the bromine, and start it back up with Chlorine. Working with your filter, pump, heater, valves and water chemistry will be second nature to you in no time if you stick with these fine folks on the forum. Not only will your pool be dialed in, but your pool knowledge and confidence will be more than you could have dreamed of. Nearly everything you are about to go through has been gone through on this site many times over. Read, read, read...it's all here. Good luck!!!!

Early/late are subjective to everyone’s area. Heck, @kellyfair ’s pool is almost too hot for me. :ROFLMAO:
Ha! I don’t “open” because I never closed! While the pool gets too cool for me in late September, the water is still warm enough to need chlorine well into December.

Thank you sir.
Remember; though proficient in many areas, swimming pool service/maintenance is on a different planet for me.

Can likely figure out which doodad is a pump, but no clue about the big round thing-a-ma-bob. I think you're saying the NSF labeled Universal whatchamacallit handle is in the wrong position.

If so: where should it be while just sitting there quietly?
Possibly sillier question: must the whole thing be on to test anything?

That is your Multi Purpose Valve - MPV.

The handle looks like it is between two settings -RINSE and FILTER. You don't want to turn on your pump with the handle misset. Normal position for pool operation is FILTER. The other settings are used when backwashing the filter or to bypass the filter.

Reactions: Syrr
Also, don’t turn handle while pump is on. Turn off, turn handle, then turn back on.

That is your Multi Purpose Valve - MPV.

The handle looks like it is between two settings -RINSE and FILTER. You don't want to turn on your pump with the handle misset. Normal position for pool operation is FILTER. The other settings are used when backwashing the filter or to bypass the filter.
Thank you much.

Look at that...in 3 posts, a perfect summary of the in's & out's and do's & don'ts of multiport valves. I like to keep mine in the in-between position when closing the pool for the season. This will prevent the rubber from staying compressed by the handle over the winter, prolonging it's useable life.
Another critical information gem. Thank you so much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please tell me more about saltwater. Of course I will look at your posts as well.
I don’t ever want to be without my SWG. Chlorinating with liquid chlorine is super simple, but I can be gone for two weeks, leaving the pool unattended, and come home to a clean, clear pool. Highly recommend.

I still throw some LC in when I want to boost chlorine levels, like when we’ve been in the pool all day, which consumes chlorine faster. So it’s good to keep a little around.

find a handy man and ask him how much to just clean the pool out. not drain it just have him and his crew if he has one scoop out the leaves and throw them in a pile. bet its cheaper then ya think and it would be done in a day,, If you was here I would help and I know my kids would for a fee prolly less then a fancy pole and net. run an add in like facebook. draining the pool in the spring when the water table is high is a bad idea, if the pool floats its a done deal, the preasure can also crack and break the pool. Scoop the stuff out or have someone else scoop it. just work on it a little every day till its clean. wait till your sure the water table is not an issue before draining it. Get the leaves and other gunk out make sure the pumps filters and pipes work without leaks.
I appreciate the good advice, thank you

find a handy man and ask him how much to just clean the pool out. not drain it just have him and his crew if he has one scoop out the leaves and throw them in a pile. bet its cheaper then ya think and it would be done in a day
And maybe not. I got a quote of: $85/hr (or $165 for 2 bodies) to scoop on pool last year.

• Wow
I don’t ever want to be without my SWG. Chlorinating with liquid chlorine is super simple, but I can be gone for two weeks, leaving the pool unattended, and come home to a clean, clear pool. Highly recommend.

I still throw some LC in when I want to boost chlorine levels, like when we’ve been in the pool all day, which consumes chlorine faster. So it’s good to keep a little around.
What is "SWG" and how do you use it?

I'm just begining the swimming pool water chemistry journey.
Thank you for the link.
SWG is a bit of a misnomer. SWCG would be a bit less confusing - a Salt Water CHLORINE Generator. Using the salt in the water to generate chlorine for you rather than dumping in liquid chlorine every day. I'm new to pool ownership and just a small above ground pool at that - but wouldn't go any other way.

Reactions: Newdude and Syrr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.