Cost Comparisons to Chlorinate Pool Water

Didn't see this mentioned either, but the SWCG is also a lot more inflation-proof, at least until the cell needs replacing.

For all we know, liquid chlorine is going to be $50/gallon in two years. Who knows these days...

In the summer (May to September) it is likely your pool will consume about 4 ppm FC per day. Pretty typical for a pool in the desert (Riverside is close to the desert) in our southern area. The rest of the time October to April, you will average about 1 ppm FC loss per day. So 5 months at 4 ppm and 5 months at 1 ppm averages a shade over 2 ppm per day, year around. Your SWCG will not operate for 6-8 weeks in the winter when the water drops below about 55F.

Newdude did the math on how much each will generate.

I do recommend you replace the iChlor with an IC40 when the iChlor dies. The IC cells are far more robust and will have a longer life.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
I don’t know about where you love but 10% CL is over $8/gal here now so there’s an even bigger cost savings than stated back in 2020.
12.5% sodium hypochlorite is $8.50 a gallon at my local pool store. That puts it close to seven dollars a gallon at 10% sodium hypochlorite. Even with the cost of salt it’s obviously much cheaper! The use of softener water should help extend the life of the cell.

Reactions: Newdude
I needed 6 bags to make up for the winter rain that went unchecked. I bought a 7th bag to have a spare for mid season. At $8 each the salt costs are negligible, even on the heavier precipitation years. 20 lbs of CYA and CH were $75 each by comparison. (y)

So now I'm thinking I'll be putting aside about $30/month to cover the eventual replacement.

It seems such a waste though to not just have the exchanger plates replaceable rather than tossing the whole unit in the trash.

Does anyone do refurbishments on these?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ShallowWater - How long did your cell last? In the photos it looks reasonably new.
Are you sure it's dead? Or could it just be scaled over and reporting maintenance needed?

My cell is fine. It was installed in November 2022 after the initial fill.

The Hayward unit in my previous pool was over 6 years old and going strong when that house was sold.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.