Corona, CA Pool Build

Matt,

Please tell me more about your poured coping... I am only familiar with "installed" coping, like flagstone, brick, etc...

Later in life, when you decide to upgrade your pool, you will often replace the coping with something newer or different.

Can you do the same for your poured coping or does it just last forever?

I like it, just don't know anything about it...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The coping is formed up as you can see in the pictures with a 2" canteleiver and is 3.5" thick. Once the concrete is set up it gets a heavy scrubbing with a broom and sponges to expose the aggregate and provide some texture.

Down the road if you choose to change the coping it would be no different than removing brick or stone but you'd have to replace it with something that's equally as thick. This style of coping is very popular here and I think it's somewhat of a timeless look that hopefully will not need replacing.

The stuccoed wall was existing and the exposed CMU block is new. I don't think I have any pictures of it before but some of the old wall had to get demoed to work with the new arrangement. There used to be a stacked retaining block wall there perviously where the fireplace and raised bond beam pool wall are now.

Pour the coping as opposed to prefab?

The coping is formed up as you can see in the pictures with a 2" canteleiver and is 3.5" thick. Once the concrete is set up it gets a heavy scrubbing with a broom and sponges to expose the aggregate and provide some texture.

Down the road if you choose to change the coping it would be no different than removing brick or stone but you'd have to replace it with something that's equally as thick. This style of coping is very popular here and I think it's somewhat of a timeless look that hopefully will not need replacing.

Thanks, Brian. Yes, I meant do you always pour coping or do you use prefab sometimes?

I do like your poured coping, very classy. I have flagstone coping around my pool and we went with 3" thick FS because it just looks and feels so much more "solid" than the typical 1-1/2" stuff people use for wall caps & decking. My Next Pool (maybe we should turn that tongue-in-cheek phrase into an acronym, MNP?) will definitely have poured/prefab coping...I really like the look.

I'll just have to try to remember that in my next life when I reincarnate as labrador retriever...

Thanks, Brian. Yes, I meant do you always pour coping or do you use prefab sometimes?

I do like your poured coping, very classy. I have flagstone coping around my pool and we went with 3" thick FS because it just looks and feels so much more "solid" than the typical 1-1/2" stuff people use for wall caps & decking. My Next Pool (maybe we should turn that tongue-in-cheek phrase into an acronym, MNP?) will definitely have poured/prefab coping...I really like the look.

I'll just have to try to remember that in my next life when I reincarnate as labrador retriever...

I've only done stone and poured concrete. I really like the look of quartzite but it's hard to get in sizes thicker than 1.5"

This canteleiver style coping gives a similar look of prefab but without all the cuts and grout issues... Less expensive too.

Very nice work Brian.

Thanks Casey!

Your thread..............please tell the "whole story" on your doggy!

You asked for it....

My wife and I along with another couple went on a cruise down to Ensenada. We got off the boat and did the stroll through town and check out some of the stores. Our friends that we were with have kids that are in a Spanish emersion program and are into the Los Muertos paintings and one of the stores had a bunch of them that were hand painted by the owner. There was probably 6-8 puppies running around the place and one of them caught my wife's eye - which were likely crossed and blurry from too many margaritas :crazy:...So they bought their paintings and we went on our way to continue on through the town.

Later that day on the way back to the boat, we walk past the same store and my wife wanders back in to grab another glimpse of this puppy and starts talking with the lady that owns the place. Turns out she runs an animal rescue and all of these puppies were dumped in an ally and nearly dead when she found them. She asks where we live and was delighted to tell my wife she had a cousin that lives in Riverside and could bring the dog to us in a couple weeks...

So we head home and some time passes. I'm working somewhere and my wife calls and asks if I still want that dog?! I have no idea what she's talking about since the trip was probably 3 weeks ago. She says "This dog" - and sends this picture:

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 3.56.21 PM.jpg

She already had the dog with her! I guess we are keeping her...and if thats the case I get to name her - Chili Davis - just like the baseball player from the Angels

I get home and we give her a bath. She was completely filthy and I probably pulled 20 ticks off of her.

The next morning we wake up to find that she has a horrible rectal prolapse and I have to try to get it back in as my wife is gagging and crying :pukel: I take her to the vet and they are pretty much no help. The vet says make sure the dogs stool isn't too firm but not too soft, don't let her strain when she's going to the bathroom and don't let her push too hard!?!? How do you do that with a puppy?

My wife reads up of diets and decides that a raw food diet would be ideal for her. We've made our own dog food for her ever since and we haven't had another issue with the prolapse. She eats better than I do :rant:

A month or so passes and everything is good until I come home and find Chili not putting any weight on her back leg. My wife takes her in (right around Christmas Eve) and they explain that her leg is broken at the growth plate and she needs immediate surgery to the tune of $5,000. I asked how much it would cost to cut the leg off :roll: Guess who won?

The surgery happens and recovery involves crating her for 1 month and using a sling to lift her leg off the ground anytime she walks out to go to the bathroom....lots of fun. We also learned from the vet that Chili is half Great Dane and is probably going to be "huge."

A few more months pass and then I notice that our fixed dog is showing signs of not being fixed...back to the vet and another expensive surgery later. Now we have to keep her out of the pool so the stitches don't blow out, not an easy task when she's used to being in the pool 12 hours a day!

So there you go...most expensive free dog ever! She really is an amazing dog though, super protective of our girls, loyal and loves the pool!

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 3.56.02 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 3.55.42 PM.jpg

Not nearly as bad as your trials, but our "super intelligent" pure-bred Bengal cat that the wife "just had to have" in her kitten days decides to ingest a cat-toy ball that gets lodge into her stomach. One emergency exploratory laparotomy and $5,000 dollars later (at Christmas time no less!!!!) and she's all good.

I told the dear wife that next time the cat decides to ingests something stupid that blocks here up, the shallow grave will be ready at the front of the property to which I'll add $1,000 and some lighter fluid because torching that much money will be cheaper....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those ears!! OH my what a cutie she is! How old is she now? How much does she weigh and how tall?

I SO hear you on the most expensive free dog thing :roll: Had one of those as well.

MATT! Leave that poor kitty alone! hehe says Kim who KNOWS what kind of "monster" a Bengal can be!

Kim:kim:

Not nearly as bad as your trials, but our "super intelligent" pure-bred Bengal cat that the wife "just had to have" in her kitten days decides to ingest a cat-toy ball that gets lodge into her stomach. One emergency exploratory laparotomy and $5,000 dollars later (at Christmas time no less!!!!) and she's all good.

I told the dear wife that next time the cat decides to ingests something stupid that blocks here up, the shallow grave will be ready at the front of the property to which I'll add $1,000 and some lighter fluid because torching that much money will be cheaper....

I love it!
Those ears!! OH my what a cutie she is! How old is she now? How much does she weigh and how tall?

I SO hear you on the most expensive free dog thing :roll: Had one of those as well.

MATT! Leave that poor kitty alone! hehe says Kim who KNOWS what kind of "monster" a Bengal can be!

She's probably coming up on a year old and weighs about 75 pounds. I don't think she's going to get that big. I don't even think she's as big as a pure lab

Kim,

When the local news station report on my "death under suspicious circumstances" do NOT believe the innocent face on the kitty....I keep one eye open at night because I know she's gunning for me....

badkitty.jpg

2 of our 3 black labs were over 100 lbs, so I think you are correct when you say she isn't as big as a pure bred lab. Of course ours were all male, so I would expect females to be smaller. I love both those stories!

I hear you guys about how much animals cost. We have 3 cats and one of them takes medicine twice a day and all of them are on special food that we get from the Vet. I work 4 jobs and one of them is at the local vet as we barter services. I usually paint for a couple of hours on Saturday mornings. Yearly check ups run $400-$500 per cat, one cat had to have surgery @$1200, our oldest cat has thyroid cancer and tests etc can easily run in the thousands per year. We have not paid a bill in 6-7 years:cheers:

Dude, I'm so sorry to have to be the one to break the bad news to you but your concrete guys screwed up [emoji20] All the control joints are NOT straight.

You should really fire the guys that did such shoddy work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.