Corona, CA Pool Build

Dude, I'm so sorry to have to be the one to break the bad news to you but your concrete guys screwed up [emoji20] All the control joints are NOT straight.

You should really fire the guys that did such shoddy work.

Did I miss something? I thought it was suppost to be curved[emoji15]

Dude, I'm so sorry to have to be the one to break the bad news to you but your concrete guys screwed up [emoji20] All the control joints are NOT straight.

You should really fire the guys that did such shoddy work.

They look straight to me...:crazy: I did most of them

Did I miss something? I thought it was suppost to be curved[emoji15]

Please excuse Matt, Sundays are the only day in the week where he is allowed to be unsupervised. I'm sure they'll be putting him back in his cage soon enough.

Love the concrete work. Are you going to stain it?

Plain ol' stamped concrete. The coping is dyed a dark gray that really won't show up until it gets sealed.

Please excuse Matt, Sundays are the only day in the week where he is allowed to be unsupervised. I'm sure they'll be putting him back in his cage soon enough.

The blue pills make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside....I like the blue ones....

I hear you guys about how much animals cost. We have 3 cats and one of them takes medicine twice a day and all of them are on special food that we get from the Vet. I work 4 jobs and one of them is at the local vet as we barter services. I usually paint for a couple of hours on Saturday mornings. Yearly check ups run $400-$500 per cat, one cat had to have surgery @$1200, our oldest cat has thyroid cancer and tests etc can easily run in the thousands per year. We have not paid a bill in 6-7 years:cheers:

That is a LOT of painting :shock: Good job doing what you need to do to keep them all healthy! :hug:

The lumber arrived for the patio and the trusses were dropped off as well. The concrete has had a couple days to cure so its on to the framing now.

Framing is my favorite construction trade and is what I started out doing while I was still in high school. Here's the days progress with a couple action shots...

I had to add a post and a hold down for support of one of the beams. The homeowners didn't want it to show so it meant cutting into the wall to conceal it.

IMG_20170804_080502279.jpg

IMG_20170804_093643283.jpg

IMG_20170804_093655079.jpg

IMG_20170804_112452776.jpg

IMG_20170804_112505575.jpg

IMG_20170804_114443017.jpg

IMG_20170804_160400676.jpg

IMG_20170804_174517139.jpg

23574.jpg

23575.jpg

It is hard to tell by the pictures, but is that horizontal beam coming from the house out to that corner post supported by just the metal bracket or is it on top of that post?

You are quite a talented craftsman Brian. That backyard renovation and pool look fabulous.

You're definitely building "my next pool" ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brian,

What is the size of the beams and what is the span? I'm think about doing something similar.

What is the size of the corner posts?

Thanks,

Jim R.

The beams are 6x12x20' DF#1 with 6x6 posts and 4x4 knee braces. I'll send you the plans if you want.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 1.49.03 PM.jpg

It is hard to tell by the pictures, but is that horizontal beam coming from the house out to that corner post supported by just the metal bracket or is it on top of that post?

Its supported by that face mount hanger. Its a Simpson HUCQ612 with (12) 4" lags into that post that I added to the inside of the wall.

HUCQ612-SDS_RI.jpg

The truss directly above it was lagged into the house every 6" and has a drag load of 2000#.

You are quite a talented craftsman Brian. That backyard renovation and pool look fabulous.

You're definitely building "my next pool" ;)

Only as long as the budget is unlimited and I get to make all the decisions :p

Who does your trusses?

These were from Arrow Truss out of Upland. I have a love/hate relationship with them and have just about gone to blows a time or two. When they do what they're supposed to do, they're difficult to be beat but the opposite can surely be said as well.

I really like Butcher's Block (Big Bear/Lucerne) but they are really picky on truss and job sizes. This job was too small for them; the last one was too big :scratch:...the Goldilocks of trusses I suppose.

If you don't want to mess around then Spates (Coachella) is the best but you'll pay a premium.

This was only a 20' foot span and I would have just hand cut the rafters but the engineer I use wasn't comfortable with the cantilevered portion of the house supporting a structural ridge beam.

Here is the layout...I'm almost embarrassed I had to use trusses but the engineer made the call :brickwall:

22552.jpg

Did you spec trusses for yours?

I hate to say it but that concerns me a lot. There is very little sheer strength in lag bolts but tons in a beam on post. As that is the main support beam it is holding a lot of weight. Those side supports help but is it too late to change it?

I’m late to the party on this build. It’s fabulous!!!! And I adored the dog and cat stories. We have four rescue dogs and a rescue cat. They cost more than if we had bought them from a breeder, but I wouldn’t trade in my rescues for anything!!

I hate to say it but that concerns me a lot. There is very little sheer strength in lag bolts but tons in a beam on post. As that is the main support beam it is holding a lot of weight. Those side supports help but is it too late to change it?

Keep in mind that this structure was engineered by a licensed Structural Engineer, built by a licensed Contractor by following an approved set of plans and structural calculations that were reviewed by yet another Structural Engineer, then inspected by a City Inspector.

The hanger is rated for 4,920 pounds of down force and 1,920 pounds of uplift. With a 20' span and loading (dead, live, wind, etc.) that particular hanger will experience less than 3,600 pounds of downforce and thats using a 30 PSF load when in reality it isn't much more than 10-12 PSF...almost a 3:1 safety factor on top of whatever factor Simpson already has built into their hardware. The drag truss against the house is also transferring a significant portion of the load onto the house and off the beam which I didn't factor in either.

Simpson also manufactures the SDS 1/4" bolts which meet the criteria (these are hardened steel, not traditional lags).

The side supports (knee braces) are for lateral load resistance, not for any downward force support.

Are you an Engineer?

I did. Turns out our trusses have been sitting for weeks at the manufacturer but he isn't the best communicator. We used Woodworks Truss in Corona. He specializes in small additions and patio covers. Our last truss guy (Rosamond Truss) ghosted us because this job was too small for him.

Keep in mind that this structure was engineered by a licensed Structural Engineer, built by a licensed Contractor by following an approved set of plans and structural calculations that were reviewed by yet another Structural Engineer, then inspected by a City Inspector.

The hanger is rated for 4,920 pounds of down force and 1,920 pounds of uplift. With a 20' span and loading (dead, live, wind, etc.) that particular hanger will experience less than 3,600 pounds of downforce and thats using a 30 PSF load when in reality it isn't much more than 10-12 PSF...almost a 3:1 safety factor on top of whatever factor Simpson already has built into their hardware.

Simpson also manufactures the SDS 1/4" bolts which meet the criteria.

The side supports (knee braces) are for lateral load resistance, not any downward force.

Are you an Engineer?

I am not so I will defer to the structural engineers. I have built and assisted with a few decks and was always taught that this is not proper beam on post architecture.

I did. Turns out our trusses have been sitting for weeks at the manufacturer but he isn't the best communicator. We used Woodworks Truss in Corona. He specializes in small additions and patio covers. Our last truss guy (Rosamond Truss) ghosted us because this job was too small for him.

Odd, I've never heard of them. Good to know there's another local option though.

I am not so I will defer to the structural engineers. I have built and assisted with a few decks and was always taught that this is not proper beam on post architecture.

Its not proper if its not done correctly - in this case it is doing exactly what it was intended to do. Simpson makes thousands of metal connectors for wood framing that all have very specific applications.

I do sincerely appreciate the concern though

Don't you love learning new things??

I love watching Brian's builds due to the fact I know it is done the correct way and he always takes the time to explain and show what he is doing down to the smallest details.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.