Corona, CA Pool Build

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
I thought I'd make a thread to follow the build process for a pool and covered patio project that's in the works. This yard is somewhat challenging because it isn't very deep and the homeowners wanted as big of a pool as possible.

Here are a couple design ideas that were presented:

Pool2.jpg

Pool1.jpg

They decided that a free-form pool lost too much surface area with the curves so they asked to see some geometric designs:

FP1.jpg

Pool 4.jpg

This was my favorite of the designs:

Mike1.jpg

Mike2 (1).jpg

IMG_20170117_163021530.jpg

And here is the design that they chose:

Mike 1.jpg

mike patio4.jpg

The house has an existing lattice patio that is a little on the small side and oddly placed so the next decision to make is what will be done with it.

What are the floating squares? Tables?

Mediterranean Blue AB [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Don't forget to offer paint as an alternative [emoji140][emoji140]

What are the floating squares? Tables?

Mediterranean Blue AB [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Don't forget to offer paint as an alternative [emoji140][emoji140]

They are steps to get to the other side of the deck. I was told that's impractical :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: Step out of the box!!!! That area would have looked amazing all lit up at night!

Since I'm building this the only finish option is Aquabright...color has yet to be determined but I sure hope its Mediterranean. That has quickly become my favorite color.

There's always paint!

It was there request to have the spa situated around the corner like that. I'm not in love with it but I understand the reasoning. They have a wildlife preserve behind their house that will remain undeveloped. Sitting in the spa is a perfect view of the scenery and it definitely opened up more space in the pool.

Their property line is 24' from the house and with a 5' setback, there isn't a whole lot of room.

They are steps to get to the other side of the deck. I was told that's impractical :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: Step out of the box!!!! That area would have looked amazing all lit up at night!

Since I'm building this the only finish option is Aquabright...color has yet to be determined but I sure hope its Mediterranean. That has quickly become my favorite color.

There's always paint!

In a small yard, along the side of the pool, they are impractical. But that should not have been the overriding concern here. As you said, they draw interest, day or night.

.. Where are you getting the pots for the pilasters?

We got ours at Architectural Pottery (Huntington Beach). Wonder if you have other sources?

I like the free form design. The area is too small for any kind of swim or play pool so it might as well look neat. It's a soaking pool at best.

Brian....I love the floating steps. Very creative. In fact, the entire design is well thought out. Kudos.

I've been forced back into my box many times...lol.

I always enjoyed designing small spaces more than large blank flat yards. Give me some features to work with.

Tam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love that design with the steps in the water!

I was pumped on that one too and really bummed out when it was shut down. Geometric pools are what everyone seems to want these days and I'm sick of rectangles with attached spas... The last thing I want to build is a pool that looks like everyone else's in the neighborhood. This one has a little character at least...

I like the free form design. The area is too small for any kind of swim or play pool so it might as well look neat. It's a soaking pool at best.

I'd rather have a freeform in a small space but my idea of swimming is floating with and endless supply of beer...to each their own :cheers:

Brian....I love the floating steps. Very creative. In fact, the entire design is well thought out. Kudos.

I've been forced back into my box many times...lol.

I always enjoyed designing small spaces more than large blank flat yards. Give me some features to work with.

Tam

Thank you, much appreciated. I agree, large yards are difficult to scale proportionately especially when any sort if budget get factored in.

It's crazy how fast the expenses add up.

I got the plans wrapped up and went down to the city to pull the permit. Corona is very high up on my list of building safety departments that I completely detest.

IMG_20170307_140200625.jpg

Once the patio design is finalized that will be another permit in addition to one for relocating 2 A/C units and another for a small retaining wall. Corona requires any wall over 2' to be permitted :roll:

I have done my own plans for over 10 years now. The only formal training I've received was a high school elective drafting class and that was nothing more than the basics. I've been blessed to have a good family friend that is a structural engineer that provides all the calculations and mark ups on my plans.

He would surely tell you I've come a long way from my first set of plans. I recall him laughing hard enough to spit coffee all over my first set.

For pools I use Pool Engineering Inc out of Anaheim. I've dealt with them enough that I can do all of the structural callouts and they only need to provide the specific detail sheets.

I got the plans wrapped up and went down to the city to pull the permit. Corona is very high up on my list of building safety departments that I completely detest.

View attachment 67345

Once the patio design is finalized that will be another permit in addition to one for relocating 2 A/C units and another for a small retaining wall. Corona requires any wall over 2' to be permitted :roll:

Lame. The city only makes money from construction during the permit phase...but that's pretty excessive

Come-on now... This is Kalifornia :crazy: and Corona is almost Orange County

Ours were a little over that [emoji37]

LA is about as bad as it gets. I like how the city makes manufacturers meet their specific requirements. Trusses are a great example - the design loads meet the requirements of everywhere in the state but LA requires their own standards and for the manufacturer to be licensed by the city.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.