Corona, CA Pool Build

Tell them to build the fireplace next year after they get some more ca$h money. Get a firepit for now. And tell them how much it will cost to replaster or AB their faded pebble finish in 10 years or less.

The fireplace is built into the patio so delaying it would create a permitting headache and probably won't get approved.

My plan is to scrap the Firebox and go with a vent free insert. This will save a few thousand dollars but still give the fireplace the same look. They just have to be ok with a gas log set as opposed to a true wood burning fireplace.

I'm planning on using the same one that I did at my house:

IMG_20170304_075957_628.jpg

Maybe they might want to go funky modern with a shiny stainless steel insert and clear glass pebbles instead of ceramic "logs" ....

Deep shag throw rugs? Plastic coverings on the upholstery? "Velvet" wallpaper with gold and silver patina added to it???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
VRE4550WS

It basically is a metal box with fire brick inserts. An insert saves a ton of labor and material expenses, not to mention that building a true masonry fireplace is an art form and a science to build correctly.

What are you trying to convert the fireplace into?

We have a wood burning fireplace in our tv room and I was just thinking it might be nice to convert it to gas. Since we are in Texas, it actually doesn't get used that much. But, no worries, I don't want to take this thread off track.

No, I'm not aware of any program that will do that because it would be very specific to the pool and there is no way the program would know what you are trying to do. The plumbing and electrical runs are usually left to the contractors that do the work to determine but I add those details because I'm very particular on how those things are done. Its also surprising what some of these guys come up with :scratch:

I use Chief Architect X8 not Pool Studio. PS is a much better design program for pools but they require a monthly fee for their software (it can't be purchased outright). The bulk of my work is structural remodels so Chief Architect suits my needs even though using it for pools is very cumbersome.

Matt,

Please tell me more about your poured coping... I am only familiar with "installed" coping, like flagstone, brick, etc...

Later in life, when you decide to upgrade your pool, you will often replace the coping with something newer or different.

Can you do the same for your poured coping or does it just last forever?

I like it, just don't know anything about it...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did you do the c-block wall or was it already existing?

Very nice coping! Do you always pour it yourself?

The stuccoed wall was existing and the exposed CMU block is new. I don't think I have any pictures of it before but some of the old wall had to get demoed to work with the new arrangement. There used to be a stacked retaining block wall there perviously where the fireplace and raised bond beam pool wall are now.

Pour the coping as opposed to prefab?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.