Corona, CA Pool Build

I liked your floating steps too Brian! I always think they are a great look. Sad your clients didn't agree. But the final plan looks good too. I like that you'll see the entire pool and it will not be partially hidden by the spa.

I got the plans wrapped up and went down to the city to pull the permit. Corona is very high up on my list of building safety departments that I completely detest.

View attachment 67345

Once the patio design is finalized that will be another permit in addition to one for relocating 2 A/C units and another for a small retaining wall. Corona requires any wall over 2' to be permitted :roll:

I have done my own plans for over 10 years now. The only formal training I've received was a high school elective drafting class and that was nothing more than the basics. I've been blessed to have a good family friend that is a structural engineer that provides all the calculations and mark ups on my plans.

He would surely tell you I've come a long way from my first set of plans. I recall him laughing hard enough to spit coffee all over them.

For pools I use Pool Engineering Inc out of Anaheim. I've dealt with them enough that I can do all of the structural callouts for them and they only need to provide the specific detail sheets.

that floating step design would have been awesome!

that is a while lotta paperwork. My pool permit was a drawing in a piece of printer paper done while I was on lunch and texted to our town permit department. Lol. They just wanted my 1000 dollars. Lol

jim

PS - I hope your clients understand how lucky they are to have you!!

...or unfortunate!

that floating step design would have been awesome!

that is a while lotta paperwork. My pool permit was a drawing in a piece of printer paper done while I was on lunch and texted to our town permit department. Lol. They just wanted my 1000 dollars. Lol

jim

My plans are overkill for a permit alone but what they do is help with every trade. I spec the plumbing and electrical runs, every pipe size, distance, pool equipment, pad layout, face piping, depths, slopes, seat heights and light locations. There really aren't many questions that can't be answered by looking at the plans.

I'm going to make them out of cast concrete. It's rediculously expensive to buy them for what they are...

They are expensive (especially the square ones), but they are supposed to be more durable because of the glass fiber. The price also includes a range of speciality finishes.

Come-on now... This is Kalifornia :crazy: and Corona is almost Orange County.

In real Orange County here and our permits fees weren't nearly that high. Where they got us was the fence and pool equipment (well almost).

Had a quick walk-through with Tony, my excavator. He has dug every pool I have built and will continue to do so as long as he's still willing.

Tony really goes the extra mile to have a precise dig - so much that I'm usually within +/- 1 yard of shotcrete on my estimates. Instead of having a ramp for the Bobcat to go in and out of the pool, Tony will dig the final section with an excavator so there is no ramp at all.

IMG_20170317_142541_724.jpg

IMG_20170318_193014_050.jpg

IMG_20170318_193014_047.jpg

IMG_20170318_193014_048.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Loved the floating steps as well. They would have been cali cool for sure...
My permits I'm sad to say were like $75...

Here is the layout and plumbing plan:

View attachment 67351

brian that's awesome! deff takes the questions out of the way!

- - - Updated - - -

My permits I'm sad to say were like $75...

grrrrrrr!!!! lol

i thought everything was bigger in texas? permits are excused from that. . . which is good for you!

i was a thousand in. and that was with some backroom adjustments. my permit costs were all based on my "cost to build". complete ripoff.

jim

The rebar and rough plumbing is in. Todd is my rebar guy and he always cracks me up. He looks like a reject from the Def Leppard tryouts. Between him and his son, they were in and out in less than 3 hours :goodjob:

IMG_20170330_091400_815.jpg

IMG_20170330_091400_814.jpg

I don't always sub out the plumbing but I chose to on this build to free up some time. This year has been crazy busy.

IMG_20170330_091400_813.jpg

It's a tee with a brass plug in it for bonding the water. Not everywhere requires it but it's becoming more and more common since nichleless and low voltage lights are being used.

Hmmmmm....sounds totally sketchy and useless to me....can't they at least put it above ground so servicing the leak that will eventually develop is easier?? Brass...oh well, at least that chose something mildly corrosion resistant... :suspect:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.