Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Could the control panel components be affected by being in the open sun? We've had two relays go bad in the last month. The pool and control panel are in the open sun and it gets so hot you can't touch it.

Heat is a threat to most any component. Any chance of providing some shade for the equipment?

pp,

As Marty says, the sun does not help, but I doubt it is the direct cause of your failures. Relays are probably the most robust of all the components inside an automation system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If it's not the sun, what else could it be? We have only had the pump/pool for three years. We are thinking about building a cover for the pump. It is in full sun. It gets over 100 degrees.

pp,

I assume you are talking about a relay in Aqua Plus control panel going bad...??

Are you saying that the relay that controls the pump went bad, and was replaced, and now the new relay is bad?

If you had two relays in the same spot go bad then most likely it is not the relay that is causing the problem. If the relay is the one used to turn the pump on/off, then I would have to assume the pump is failing and drawing way too much current through the relay and causing the relay to fail.

You can shade the pump and see if that will help, but I doubt it will have much of an effect. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks! After the first relay went out, we replaced it with another one on the control panel that wasn't being used for anything and it went out. We ordered a new one and it is still running. But, it's only been one day. It is for the polaris pump. If this relay goes bad, we'll trouble shoot the pump. But, I sure hope it last more than 3 summers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.