Construction started 2/3/20

Going to start adding water this afternoon. Has anyone used Startup-Tec or a similar product? I am planning on adding 3 bottles, estimated size is 26,500 gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PB had initially said no brushing for the first week and has not provided brush / testing kit. I should have researched before now (hopefully others can learn from my mistake) but based on my research (this site and several others to confirm), I need to start brushing tomorrow. I have asked the PB to bring my equipment and testing kit by today or tomorrow - hopefully they will make it a priority.

PB had initially said no brushing for the first week and has not provided brush / testing kit. I should have researched before now (hopefully others can learn from my mistake) but based on my research (this site and several others to confirm), I need to start brushing tomorrow. I have asked the PB to bring my equipment and testing kit by today or tomorrow - hopefully they will make it a priority.

Ours did the same, basically. "Startup" wasn't for a week after the pool was filled, and that was when they were bringing us the brush. It drove me crazy... I went and bought one myself at HD and we started brushing the next day, 2-3 times a day. Just a nylon brush for the first while, though... we just got a nylon/stainless combo brush recently because the warranty manager said the nylon one we have is just for startup brushing and otherwise, for vinyl pools. After a while ---- when the plaster is good and cured ---- the sturdier brush will be more effective for cleaning/light stains ---- but only after a while ---- I stress not right away ---- ;)
Every PB has their own guidelines but in the end, it's not THEIR pool in THEIR yard, so I am not sure that they truly go by "best practices" rather than what may be easier for them for one reason or another. As you know, my experience was a doozy and I learned A LOT from this board and thank my lucky stars I found it when I did.

I am glad you're doing the sequestrant now. Our PB/PM never mentioned it to us. I did ask them about using a filter on the hose during fill and they said that wasn't necessary, as well. We didn't use sequestrant until the second fill (when they drained and acid washed under warranty). I heard about it from this board and wish I had the first time. Now I add about 8 oz every week or two as well, which was our warranty manager's recommendation. Our coping is flagstone which naturally has iron in it and drips that and minerals into the water... I didn't know that until it was too late, either. It became apparent at the drain/fill when we had orange stains all over the plaster because they made us drain it early and then it rained for two days straight while it sat empty after their acid wash and while we waited for it to fill. :rolleyes: Orangy runny stains around our entire pool.
Sequestrant is a must and PBs everywhere need to tell their customers about it or use it as default!

I am so excited to see your finished project. This is looking amazing and I am a little jealous ;):love:

Reactions: MikeFL
Yes, that (a sequestrant) is recommended per the National Plasterer’s Council startup card and Startup New Plaster
Lowes and walmart has poles and brushes just saying..............
Now the PB is telling me his plaster rep is saying do no do anything for 72 hours while the plaster cures. That takes us to Monday which is when the PB planned to be back on site with supplies.

Any risk in waiting until Monday to add start up and start brushing??

Ours did the same, basically. "Startup" wasn't for a week after the pool was filled, and that was when they were bringing us the brush. It drove me crazy... I went and bought one myself at HD and we started brushing the next day, 2-3 times a day. Just a nylon brush for the first while, though... we just got a nylon/stainless combo brush recently because the warranty manager said the nylon one we have is just for startup brushing and otherwise, for vinyl pools. After a while ---- when the plaster is good and cured ---- the sturdier brush will be more effective for cleaning/light stains ---- but only after a while ---- I stress not right away ---- ;)
Every PB has their own guidelines but in the end, it's not THEIR pool in THEIR yard, so I am not sure that they truly go by "best practices" rather than what may be easier for them for one reason or another. As you know, my experience was a doozy and I learned A LOT from this board and thank my lucky stars I found it when I did.

I am glad you're doing the sequestrant now. Our PB/PM never mentioned it to us. I did ask them about using a filter on the hose during fill and they said that wasn't necessary, as well. We didn't use sequestrant until the second fill (when they drained and acid washed under warranty). I heard about it from this board and wish I had the first time. Now I add about 8 oz every week or two as well, which was our warranty manager's recommendation. Our coping is flagstone which naturally has iron in it and drips that and minerals into the water... I didn't know that until it was too late, either. It became apparent at the drain/fill when we had orange stains all over the plaster because they made us drain it early and then it rained for two days straight while it sat empty after their acid wash and while we waited for it to fill. :rolleyes: Orangy runny stains around our entire pool.
Sequestrant is a must and PBs everywhere need to tell their customers about it or use it as default!

I am so excited to see your finished project. This is looking amazing and I am a little jealous ;):love:
The PB has been so helpful so far and this is the first time he has told me something that didn’t match my research. I just replied to KimKat saying he followed up saying plaster rep said do nothing for 62 hours which takes us to Monday when the PB was planning to be back on site

What you do depends on what your relationship with your PB is. Is he running the startup to ensure that his warranty is in effect? If so, you have little choice, except that you can always share your concerns and sources. If he is not calling the shots, I’d follow the NPC Card in this link.

https://www.nptpool.com/pdf/npc_swimmingpoolstart-upprocedures.pdf

Reactions: MikeFL and kimkats
I’ll
What you do depends on what your relationship with your PB is. Is he running the startup to ensure that his warranty is in effect? If so, you have little choice, except that you can always share your concerns and sources. If he is not calling the shots, I’d follow the NPC Card in this link.

https://www.nptpool.com/pdf/npc_swimmingpoolstart-upprocedures.pdf
Thanks for the info, I sent PDF to the PB along with 10 other articles all with same recommendation. I asked him to have his plaster guy provide data or articles documenting benefit of waiting 72 hours.

Good luck, I will promise that you will not seen anyone on Monday. It took them 8 days to show back up after ours was filled and the water was starting to turn green...

Who did the plaster Moses' team? Do as they say, it's their baby until they sign over all the warranty paperwork.

Reactions: MikeFL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.