Construction started 2/3/20

MikeFL

Oct 5, 2019
Gulf Breeze, FL
Screen enclosure also started today, few highlights:
  1. Mansard Roof
  2. Single door on west side, double door on east side
  3. I asked contractor to design a solution that will allow me to have a hinged opening in 3-4 places around perimeter that will allow me to spray off deck without having to spray to each of the doors. He had not done this before but loves the idea -- he said he will have a hinge that will open outward (keep snakes / critters out) and remain 'stick' open while I spray the water out.
Question: Do you typically see 2.5" of pavers on the outside edge of enclosures? Minor detail, but I assumed it would be closer to the outside edge.

Attachments

Cavmedic

Gold Supporter
Jun 10, 2019
Seminole, Florida
Yes! My builder did the same thing with the pavers and screen. I have the same distance to outside edge. He told me why but I don't remember exactly. Maybe something along the lines of hiding the concrete footer. Florida here as well.

Reactions: MikeFL

MikeFL

Oct 5, 2019
Gulf Breeze, FL
Screen Enclosure decision: Screen type 20/20 or 18/14??

If you have a screen enclosure, what did you go with?

Cost: 18/14 will be around $800 less ($0.20 per square foot)
Sunshine: 18/14 will let in more sunshine, this is good in winter, spring and winter, however in summer less sun is a good thing (we have a gas heater)
Breeze: 20/20 will block some of the breeze which is not cool, also 20/20 will start to loosen up the screen faster since breeze doesn't move as freely through

Wild Card: No-see-ums ... if you have them you know what I mean, they are tiny bugs that bite.
  • They can fit through 18/14 but not 20/20. If it wasn't for these bugs then 18/14 would be a no-brainer
  • I haven't noticed them too much ... my fear is we will get the 18/14 and then notice that we have them

Tough decision, any advice?

Attachments

Belikin

Gold Supporter
Mar 15, 2020
NE Florida
Screen Enclosure decision: Screen type 20/20 or 18/14??

If you have a screen enclosure, what did you go with?

Cost: 18/14 will be around $800 less ($0.20 per square foot)
Sunshine: 18/14 will let in more sunshine, this is good in winter, spring and winter, however in summer less sun is a good thing (we have a gas heater)
Breeze: 20/20 will block some of the breeze which is not cool, also 20/20 will start to loosen up the screen faster since breeze doesn't move as freely through

Wild Card: No-see-ums ... if you have them you know what I mean, they are tiny bugs that bite.
  • They can fit through 18/14 but not 20/20. If it wasn't for these bugs then 18/14 would be a no-brainer
  • I haven't noticed them too much ... my fear is we will get the 18/14 and then notice that we have them

Tough decision, any advice?
My OPINION is if you're getting the screen to cut down on bugs why get a type that allows potentially the most annoying ones through? That being said, we are doing no screen on my new build which is breaking ground next month.

Reactions: MikeFL