Considering Salt - Have questions

9:30 Test

This was different, I am attributing it to the Auto-Top Off from Backwash and Rinse

FC: 23.5
CC: 0

The sun will be hitting the pool very soon, so I imagine I will get loss from that, I will begin testing every two-hours and maintain 24 throughout the day beginning at the next test: 10:30 which I imagine I will correct from the .5 loss at that time.

If sun loss is higher than expected - I will return to hourly testing, as best as possible through working from home.

Will be interesting to see how it goes when you have 70+ CYA. Seems like more than sun destruction to me.

Chris

Given the desperate need to keep the pool running healthily, the cost of reagent / testing etc is nothing to me. My wife needs the pool to get better, and after all she's been through - the smile on her face in it pays for all the trouble this 35k hole in the ground will ever throw at me.

The amount I am losing per hour due to sun at this point is causing me to keep testing more often, if nothing else - will help me understand the load requirements better and adjust accordingly.

2:30 Test:
FC: 20

Adjusted to 24

Lively,
Dave's one of the most expert people on here. I'm very glad he's entered this conversation. If it's fixable he'll know how. Dave, thanks so much for joining in this conversation and please let us know if there's anything in your bag of tricks that can help this gentleman.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's great to meet Dave, as well as the rest of you. Im sorry if my response came off negative. I did not mean it that way. I skipped 3:30 testing. Aside from when I put the phos remover the pool has remained clear and no real smell aside from one of the cycles last night. If the pool remains clear, no CC, tonight will be good for OCLT right?

I am NOT A FAN of phosphate removers and I believe that is involved in this problem. I can't make a scientific observation to prove that point but I believe it.

I would not be surprised if the OCLT fails again tonight.............I hope the phosphate removers have been filtered out but they may cause another fail.

I know of no other course but to continue the SLAM until everything is removed.

Forgive me for injecting into the conversation, and please feel free to ignore the question, but it seemed like Lively tested last night at 11:30 and FC was 24, then tested again this morning at 8:30 and was still at 24. Doesn't that qualify as passing OCLT? I'm sure I'm missing something that is causing another OCLT tonight. What is it that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Forgive me for injecting into the conversation, and please feel free to ignore the question, but it seemed like Lively tested last night at 11:30 and FC was 24, then tested again this morning at 8:30 and was still at 24. Doesn't that qualify as passing OCLT? I'm sure I'm missing something that is causing another OCLT tonight. What is it that I'm missing?

Thanks!
That was my observation as well. I think he is trying to figure out the source of his daytime Cl loss.

Someone mentioned this above but worth repeating before you go spending money if all you want is the feel of “soft water”.

I have a 20 x 40 vinyl pool, 30,000 gallons and I simply went to Lowe’s, purchased qty 15 40 pound bags of water softener salt with no additives.

Spread them to the bottom of the pool and by next day they were completely dissolved.

My pool now has that nice soft feel. I happen to measure the salt level and it was about 2300 ppm. I’m no expert but I read somewhere between 2000 and 3000 ppm is where human body begins to feel all that “softness”.

The nice part about is that salt in the pool does not dissipate except by dilution so next year i’m sure I will only have a few bags.

Lively,

Here's what I'd do next. As Dave recommended complete the SLAM. Looks like you may be done. Confirm your OCLT tonight and then tomorrow if you pass based on all 3 criteria:
Then at this point you still may have the chlorinator issue so I would:
  • Raise your CYA to 80 ppm
  • Let the FC drop to 4 ppm above target
  • Then maintain FC with liquid chlorine
  • Once FC is stable, set the chlorinator to produce the same amount
  • If this holds you're good and you've confirmed your cell is good too
If the chlorinator does not hold then you should get back with Circupool on a warranty claim. You can just maintain with liquid chlorine until you get this sorted out if needed. If Dave recommends anything other than this do what he says. I've only been doing this a few years. He's been doing this for a lifetime. This process should get your pool back usable for your wife as possible and help get your chlorinator issue figured out. Remember anytime your FC is below SLAM level and above minimum it's safe to swim in.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Newdude
7:30 Test:

FC: 21
Filter Pressure: Still at startup pressure - no change. Clean skimmer socks with no weight to them either.

Thanks everyone, and yes, technically I did "pass" OCLT, but I considered it a false pass. Tonights OCLT will likely pass again and I will consider this result valid. I have been trying to determine day loss - which seems excessive at this point.

Adjusted to 24. Will test at 8:30 and adjust if needed, if not, begin OCLT.

I adjusted my schedule to 12 hours at 100%, as suggested by Circupool. Longer than I want, but who knows. It is also adjusted for "Peak Power Hours" (I use Griddy in Texas and pay real time pricing - atleast until solar goes in later).

12 Hours are: 3:00AM to 3:00PM- This may HAVE to be more daylight hours to combat this daytime loss, the CYA back up to 80 should help with that though - hopefully.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Sorry, The schedule is for POST SLAM.

Nothing added to the pol since 7:30 when I adjusted to 24. Sun was off the pool. I did not get out at 8:30 due to a work call.

9:00 test:

FC: 24

Since I have not added anything since 7:30 and I am stable, I am leaving the pumps running still (havent turned off since two days before the SLAM). This begins the OCLT (meaning I check again at 8:00AM and if nothing lost or less than/equal to 1. I will again re-pass the OCLT (nothing lost last night overnight either being the first OCLT pass. which I consider false pass)

I will advise levels in the morning, hope all goes well. BTW, wife and I sat on the steps of the pool admiring the moon, for a bit after the 9PM test, thus late posting here, and the water feels WAY softer than it has since I converted to salt. Real smooth feeling water. Hope that feeling stays too.

IF nothing lost, I will drift down tomorrow and begin my 12 hour pump schedule at 3:00am - 3:00pm with SWG at 100% and see where we end up with. At this point I am imagining I will need my runtime to be more in the day than at night, which will not be fun due to increased power costs. Lets see how tonight goes then maybe advice on moving forward from a passed OCLT.

More great progress! Salt pools are fantastic. I was worried my wife wouldn't like it so I did salt conversion before I installed the swg. After her first 30 seconds I got "the new rule". Never go back we will have a salt pool from now on!

Seems very likely you pass tomorrow in the morning. How much liquid chlorine do you still have?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.