Dec 30, 2018
North Carolina
Hi All,

New to the pool game and we have a pool that is just about ready for PebbleTec. However, I’ve noticed that the gunite shell weeps water in multiple areas. Is this concerning? My mind takes me back to leaky basements and the answer never seemed to be just seal them from the inside, so I’m struggling to accept my builders answer tha this is normal and the PebbleTec will stop the weeping. Pics attached - any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• 3030BE7D-0E51-41F7-83E4-35426E3CE153.jpeg
    3030BE7D-0E51-41F7-83E4-35426E3CE153.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 65
  • CEF82539-390E-4410-9D9A-909AEE84EE80.jpeg
    CEF82539-390E-4410-9D9A-909AEE84EE80.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 7BBDC63A-37FD-4CC1-8962-6338E6C86EF1.jpeg
    7BBDC63A-37FD-4CC1-8962-6338E6C86EF1.jpeg
    594.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 4C159AC4-34E5-4AD4-9D0C-AB0CD6E53532.jpeg
    4C159AC4-34E5-4AD4-9D0C-AB0CD6E53532.jpeg
    707.6 KB · Views: 61
  • A7F5FFD9-EDF9-4857-9C59-B359800DC928.jpeg
    A7F5FFD9-EDF9-4857-9C59-B359800DC928.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 58
I,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn all the ins and outs of a new pool build... :shark:

We see a lot of this on new gunite. I would not say it is normal, but it does happen.

I had this same thing happen to me, but mine was so bad the plaster company would not plaster until it was stopped.

It took about five or six months for it to get solved... My pool builder initially said the same as yours.. "No Problem"... It did not stop..

They drilled holes in the gunite to relieve the pressure... It did not stop.

They sprayed some coating on the inside of the gunite... It did not stop.

They tried many other things.. It did not stop.

At the very beginning, I told them that you can't stop water on the inside of the gunite, you need to stop it from getting to the gunite.. But no, I am not a "Pool guy" so what could I possible know..? :)

After everything that they did failed, they finally did what I had asked them to do all along... They ripped up 60 feet of new concrete decking and then dug a trench that is about 18" wide and 5 to 8 feet deep, on the two uphill sides of the pool. They then filled the trench with rock and a french drain. The rock and french drain cause the water to flow to a pit that is 10 feet deep with a sump pump in the bottom. The sump pump then pumps the ground water out and into a storm drain. I live in Texas.. Even in the Summer, when it is over a 100 degrees and it hasn't rained in a month, water continually flows into the pit. The pump cycles on and off, but never stops.

After the sump pump was in place, the gunite dried out enough to plaster. I'm told, that once the plaster is in place, that the water in the pool counteracts any water trying to weep through the gunite..

Thanks and good luck with your pool build,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Jeebus Jim, all that for a dry shell. You would think that the PB’s in your area would know about ground water, and plan accordingly. Well at least it didn’t come out of your pocket for the extra work. Right?

Rob,

Most people around me have no problems with ground water. I am about halfway down a hill.. I am lower than my neighbors and they are lower than their neighbors, ect. I think under my lot, is a small underground stream. Normally not a problem until they put a pool in the way. The pool acted like a dam..

Yes, it cost money to fix, but my pool builder paid for most of it. My part was about $2,500.. Sigh!!!

Jim R.

Thank you for all of the great feedback @Jimrahbe, @Arizonarob

So here's the update: Plaster crew came today and installed the PebbleTec. They finished about about 2 hours ago, and I am already seeing water weeping through the same areas that they plastered. I attached an updated pic for reference. Needless to say, this has me VERY concerned about filling the pool, which is supposed to happen tomorrow.

Attachments

• teoacMbYTAKvDLvDvGnYvg.jpg
    teoacMbYTAKvDLvDvGnYvg.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 48
i,

It is good that you took some pics..

I assume that once the water is in the pool the external water will no longer try to weep in.. But at this point, you can't go back, you will just have to fill it up and see what happens.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Yep, sent a note tonight that I'm obviously concerned. Their response was that they see it often and that when the pebbletec is cured, and the pool is filled, the water pressure will equal out and I "will not see this problem":unsure: ..... yeah, obviously I wont see it because there will be water in the pool!:cautious:

Reactions: BowserB
Once you fill the pool with water the water pressure on the inside should be greater then on the outside and water will not leak in.

As your PB says, you will not see any problem. It does seem you have a high water table so be careful if you ever have to drain your pool. If the ground in those areas gets soggy it may require sone drainage. You don’t know where that moisture is going to go once your pool is filled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m a little concerned with him having a mark in the areas where it’s weaping through.

We know the drill. The PB will blame it on his water chemistry then offer to acid wash it.

There is no quick fix. So PB is just plowing ahead hoping for the best.

Went out this AM to check, and already seeing discoloration in some spots... some of the water in the pics are from a brief rain we had last night, but you can clearly see the water penetration

Attachments

• IMG_5979.jpeg
    IMG_5979.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    680.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4938.jpeg
    IMG_4938.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 30
As a pool owner and nothing more, I don't like it. But do agree that with the pool water in, there likely won't be any issue. The pool water side will have greater pressure pushing out because the water will be higher than on the outside. What will happen is that the water on the outside will either build up vertically and create a wet area in the lawn or under the deck, or it will work its way around the pool structure underground and find it's own equilibrium elsewhere. I don't really like to think too much about either of those things, so I'd just at least be aware of them in case something evidences itself, and hope for the best. In all likelihood you will never have anything come of it in the future.

Reactions: BowserB
Thanks all! The good news is that it seems to have subsided overnight (maybe the pebble cured?). When they cleaned it today, all of the residue was able to be removed. I did notice however that the PebbleTec looks splotchy in some areas, include the floor of the pool. Will this be noticeable with water in it?

Attachments

• 57488196854__2EED3D40-D476-4C38-98A8-09149FB52F71.jpg
    57488196854__2EED3D40-D476-4C38-98A8-09149FB52F71.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 25
You have to give your plaster a few months to cure before you can judge the splotches and motteling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.