Close main drain a little for more skimming?

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone. I am new to the pool world, only having our pool for about 1.5 months. I am trying to fine tune the VSP in order to get the lowest RPM with decent skimming. Is it possible/okay/acceptable to close some of the main drain suction, maybe to 50% in order to boost skimming suction? From what I understand, although the main drain does create suction, it is more designed to circulate the water/chemicals. What is everyones thoughts on adjusting the drain values in this situation? Thank you!

Hey Yarz !! Long time no talk. :ROFLMAO:

Most of us maximize the skimming with 80 or 90% skimmers and the rest from the main drains just to keep some movement from them.

Can you control your main drain from a valve at your equipment pad?

If so, close it completely. Then just open it a few degrees so there is water flow thorugh it.

A main drain is unnecessary for the operation of a pool of your type.

Hey guys! As you can tell, I am fairly consumed at this point with the pool :) Thanks as always!

Just so I am clear, I should close the main drains almost 80-90%, right?

@mknauss - Just curious why main drains are not needed in my type of pool? What other types of pools would utilize this?

Reactions: Newdude
Just curious why main drains are not needed in my type of pool? Why other type of pool would utilize this?
Pools with In Floor cleaning systems must use the main drains to attempt to trap the material they push around on the pool floor.

Your pool does not have those. So normal circulation from the pool returns is sufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.