changed things, opinions please

Bump the 3' to 3.5' if you can - I learned here that 3.5' is deep enough to not have your wrists scrape if you're doing actual real laps.

Hi and Welcome!! I have been to Dade City many times in the past for off road motorcycle races. LOVE the area!!

Love your design! I am with @l1ltaral1l on the shallow end depth. 3'5" is okay but 4' is even better. This will also help lessen the slope to that WONDERFUL 7' depth. That is such a fun depth in that you can dive into it!! FUN times!!!

Lets talk about your equipment. You NEED to get model numbers so we make sure everything is purrfect for your pool.

Those rocks.......will they be real rocks or mason's work

Kim:kim:

Reactions: r3206
I like to sit. I would add seating somewhere near the deep end, out of the swim lane. It also provides a rest area for toddlers and an alternate means for entry and exit (so the kids won't knock the beer out of your hand as you're lounging on the ledge). If you do plan on using loungers, make sure the ledge/shelf (whatever it's called) will accommodate them.

I like to sit. I would add seating somewhere near the deep end, out of the swim lane. It also provides a rest area for toddlers and an alternate means for entry and exit (so the kids won't knock the beer out of your hand as you're lounging on the ledge). If you do plan on using loungers, make sure the ledge/shelf (whatever it's called) will accommodate them.
actu

yes I told them 4 foot min.

what does everyone think on spa sizes and shapes...
I want a tanning shelf, but 2nd pic looks to small and first pic looks like it takes away from swimming area.
we havent even got to the equipment. I'm just focusing on design.
And size wise, what's everyone option..
Thanks, I love this forum to bounce ideas around. I'm doing this my myself ??

Attachments

• 20200409_155039.jpg
    20200409_155039.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 29
rocks are just pictures there, I had mention I would like some kind of rock that grandkids could jump off. not sold on that thou. it would be 4 foot on shallow in for sure.

I dont mind your design, but you could move the raised spa over to where the rocks are to give the kids a jumping off spot, and let you take some of the former spa space to increase the tanning ledge side.

One of my kids favorite things this winter was to watch TV from the spa at night. Do you have any outdoor TVs planned? If so, make sure you can see it from the spa, tanning ledge, etc.

I think the spa was drawn in that space was because it would be closer to entrance of patio and doors for house, but I do like idea of it there for the reasons you listed :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A free form pool is nice, but a rectangular shape will give you more space. Make sure they give you the linear footage of the perimeter. On a free form pool with your dimensions, the perimeter can vary a lot.

Overall size is good, but get as large as you can afford. The pool fills up quick with people, toys, etc.

Be aware that the slope is going to be severe in the middle going to the deep end, even with a 4 foot shallow end.

Make sure you get the exact dimensions for the steps and amount of steps. The builder usually makes the steps with a large rise (like 12”). They say that buoyancy will help with the stairs, but I would still stick with no more than a 9” rise.

Get the exact location and size for the swim out.

I know you said you are not focused on equipment, but locking that in early helps with the decision and change orders later.

They state a VS pump. Ensure they list the HP.

Cartridge filter seems small (100 SF). Try to get a 200 SF.

There is only 3 returns. Try for 4 For better circulation. Also an additional skimmer.

Need to specify what size SWG. I am assuming IC-40, but IC-60 is better.

I am not to up to date on spas. But I thought I read on here that a blower was a substitute for poor hydraulic design on a spa. May want to research that more. Think larger pump.

Heater size says 119 BTU. You might want to bump that to 140 BTU. You are about on the same latitude as Orlando. It does get “cold” here. When you forget and finally turn on the heater for that warm weekend in February, the 140 BTU will heat up faster.

No auto fill or auto drain listed. You will want those in FL.

Need to specify how many lights are in pool. I count that you need at least 2 in pool, one on sun shelf, and one in spa.

All of these things are important if you want to compare apples to apples with another builder. Most of these things are small items that can add up, however, they will really add up after the contract is signed and they are not in there.

We have a sun shelf. Are thought was our little one would like to play on it. He did at first. He can swim like a fish now and rarely hangs out on it. I would not do it again unless it was deeper (ours is 6”, should be at least 9”). In the future, I would not have the sun shelf, because we are in pool main area more. I would add some seating in the pool, possibly incorporating them into the stairs.

A free form pool is nice, but a rectangular shape will give you more space. Make sure they give you the linear footage of the perimeter. On a free form pool with your dimensions, the perimeter can vary a lot.

Overall size is good, but get as large as you can afford. The pool fills up quick with people, toys, etc.

Be aware that the slope is going to be severe in the middle going to the deep end, even with a 4 foot shallow end.

Make sure you get the exact dimensions for the steps and amount of steps. The builder usually makes the steps with a large rise (like 12”). They say that buoyancy will help with the stairs, but I would still stick with no more than a 9” rise.

Get the exact location and size for the swim out.

I know you said you are not focused on equipment, but locking that in early helps with the decision and change orders later.

They state a VS pump. Ensure they list the HP.

Cartridge filter seems small (100 SF). Try to get a 200 SF.

There is only 3 returns. Try for 4 For better circulation. Also an additional skimmer.

Need to specify what size SWG. I am assuming IC-40, but IC-60 is better.

I am not to up to date on spas. But I thought I read on here that a blower was a substitute for poor hydraulic design on a spa. May want to research that more. Think larger pump.

Heater size says 119 BTU. You might want to bump that to 140 BTU. You are about on the same latitude as Orlando. It does get “cold” here. When you forget and finally turn on the heater for that warm weekend in February, the 140 BTU will heat up faster.

No auto fill or auto drain listed. You will want those in FL.

Need to specify how many lights are in pool. I count that you need at least 2 in pool, one on sun shelf, and one in spa.

All of these things are important if you want to compare apples to apples with another builder. Most of these things are small items that can add up, however, they will really add up after the contract is signed and they are not in there.

We have a sun shelf. Are thought was our little one would like to play on it. He did at first. He can swim like a fish now and rarely hangs out on it. I would not do it again unless it was deeper (ours is 6”, should be at least 9”). In the future, I would not have the sun shelf, because we are in pool main area more. I would add some seating in the pool, possibly incorporating them into the stairs.
thank you that helps alot. I will start making list of equipment and researching them.
as a women it's hard for me to understand the workings of a pool but I have been learning alot from all of you and this forum thanks

thank you that helps alot. I will start making list of equipment and researching them.
as a women it's hard for me to understand the workings of a pool but I have been learning alot from all of you and this forum thanks
If you are uncomfortable, please ask away!!! Unfortunately, there are some builders who may take advantage of the fact you are woman. Also, the more informed you are, the better questions you can ask. Also, if you have a friend with a pool, ask them questions. If you know anyone in construction, ask them for help. They may not build pools, but they may understand the build process. A pool is just another project that a general contractor manages and uses subcontractors. Don’t be afraid to get many quotes. The salesman are all “nice” and you will think they are a great company. Try to get references of local builds and ask if you can call them and arrange a visit to see the pool and talk to the customers about the build process (without the builder there).

Reactions: Texgirl and r3206
If you are uncomfortable, please ask away!!! Unfortunately, there are some builders who may take advantage of the fact you are woman. Also, the more informed you are, the better questions you can ask. Also, if you have a friend with a pool, ask them questions. If you know anyone in construction, ask them for help. They may not build pools, but they may understand the build process. A pool is just another project that a general contractor manages and uses subcontractors. Don’t be afraid to get many quotes. The salesman are all “nice” and you will think they are a great company. Try to get references of local builds and ask if you can call them and arrange a visit to see the pool and talk to the customers about the build process (without the builder there).
I am trying to decide on a design. then I can decided on equipment. I know I want a salt water generator, auto fill would be nice and overflow, with automatic controls. not sure on filters, pumps ect. all the other stuff no clue. I read alot n here. seems a variable speed something ppl like? cant even remember what it was. also ppl seem to like robotic cleaners

Reactions: Dtkokay
...I can decided on equipment. I know I want a salt water generator, auto fill would be nice and overflow, with automatic controls. not sure on filters, pumps ect. all the other stuff no clue. I read alot n here. seems a variable speed...also ppl seem to like robotic cleaners

Does you pool builder allow you to select the manufacturer of the equipment? Do you want (or do you want to pay for) full automation, phone control? A VS pump is a great investment. I'm not sold on robots (yet), but many forum members love them. No reason to buy that from the PB, you can probably get it cheaper from a different source.

After our pool "salesman" told us that 6' deep end would be fine for what we wanted (jumping and diving off the waterfall) the first plan came through with big red letters stamped on it saying "Not a diving pool". What that may or may not mean if there were any type of legal issues with a unforeseen accident I have no idea but it certainly made us uncomfortable. In addition I had thought all along 6' was not going to be deep enough. So to get a "diving pool" we needed to go to 8'. I have been diving off Rocky shores for my entire life and can absolutely safely dive off a 4' high platform into 3' of water, but that is not what we wanted. To give you some perspective on diving and depths, my waterfall is approx 4' off water surface. I can easily safely dive straight down, I will still contact the bottom with hands at a slow velocity. This would be the absolute min depth in my opinion for diving off any elevated surface. Diving off the pool deck is a different story. I can see how 7' would be plenty for that. Just thought I would share...

You know what? Take and share a pic of where this pool will be going. Tell use what you want to use the pool for......We can help you with the design!
we are on 14 acres so something that blends in with the landscaping. it has to be screen because of being florida. i like the free form design for more natural looking with lots of planters because I'm in middle of pasture without much shade or landscaping. I want a little oasis. it will have to be built up about 2 1/2 feet to be flush with my patio. want 4 foot but up to 7 for kids jumping into deep end, with a beach entry, (not sure if they are recommended).

we are on 14 acres so something that blends in with the landscaping. it has to be screen because of being florida. i like the free form design for more natural looking with lots of planters because I'm in middle of pasture without much shade or landscaping. I want a little oasis. it will have to be built up about 2 1/2 feet to be flush with my patio. want 4 foot but up to 7 for kids jumping into deep end, with a beach entry, (not sure if they are recommended).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.