Jun 23, 2020
Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello,

We have been meeting with different builders and have settled on one. We are getting to the specific and wanted to get some feedback..

Shell: Latham Synergy fiberglass pool and gravel backfill (40'x16') - one website says 14,000 gallons while another says 18,000
Pump: Pentair SuperFlow VS
Filter: Pentair SD 80 sand
SWG: Pentair iChlor 30 (additional $2600)
Heater: Raypack 266k BTU NG

My questions:
  1. Sand vs cartridge - I've been doing some reading and not really sure where to go here. I had assumed cartridge but maybe we didn't talk about that specifically.
  2. SWG - I've been reading about iChlor vs IC30/40. In my head (after reading advise on here) I was thinking IC40. With a 14-18k gallon pool, iChlor 30 is a bit undersized? Any reason to go iChlor vs IC40? We haven't talked about any automation.
  3. Heater: Obviously bigger is better, we are going to need to run new gas line most likely anyway so not sure if I should upgrade the heater. According to the Raypack calculator, the 266 may have issues reaching 78 in April and October (although I'd probably open late April and close late Sept or early October). I'm also not sure if this is the cupro version or not. Worth the extra cost for cupro?
Sort of thinking out loud and hoping for some advice before we sign.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP

1. Sand vs cartridge - I've been doing some reading and not really sure where to go here. I had assumed cartridge but maybe we didn't talk about that specifically.

Cartridge or sand filter will both work fine. Read...

1. SWG - I've been reading about iChlor vs IC30/40. In my head (after reading advise on here) I was thinking IC40. With a 14-18k gallon pool, iChlor 30 is a bit undersized? Any reason to go iChlor vs IC40? We haven't talked about any automation.

I recommend you get the IntelliChlor IC40. Better quality and capacity.

1. Heater: Obviously bigger is better, we are going to need to run new gas line most likely anyway so not sure if I should upgrade the heater. According to the Raypack calculator, the 266 may have issues reaching 78 in April and October (although I'd probably open late April and close late Sept or early October). I'm also not sure if this is the cupro version or not. Worth the extra cost for cupro?

There is no substitute for BTU's. For the small increase in price you get faster heating.

For a few extra hundreds get the cupro. For extra thousands skip it.

Read...

Last edited:
I agree with ajw, the IntelliChlor IC40 is a better choice, and the only choice IMHO if you want to have automation. Its a better choice without automation, but I love my automation so am sure everyone else will too haha!

For a really good automated setup with Pentair equipment, you would want an Intellicenter and IC40 bundle
Pentair IntelliCenter 5PIC40 Kit - Pool only with Load Center and IC40 (polytecpools.com)

For the pump, I would go with the Intelliflo VS vs. the superflo as that would tie in right with your automation.

For lights, you didn't mention them, but I would think you want four across the long wall which faces away from your house. I would go with the Microbrites, Pentair's newest light, fits into a standard 1.5" fitting, and works great with the automation as well. I have three in my 30' long shell and its just about right. Any longer and I'd want another one.

Another think to think about with Latham FB shells, is there are normally a few places the skimmer can go in pre-formed places around the pool. Think about where you want them to be and make sure the PB knows this before he places the order with Latham. Latham cuts out the skimmer locations at the factory so knowing where they go when the PB places the order is important. The lights and return holes get drilled out on site.

I agree with ajw, the IntelliChlor IC40 is a better choice, and the only choice IMHO if you want to have automation. Its a better choice without automation, but I love my automation so am sure everyone else will too haha!

For a really good automated setup with Pentair equipment, you would want an Intellicenter and IC40 bundle
Pentair IntelliCenter 5PIC40 Kit - Pool only with Load Center and IC40 (polytecpools.com)

For the pump, I would go with the Intelliflo VS vs. the superflo as that would tie in right with your automation.

For lights, you didn't mention them, but I would think you want four across the long wall which faces away from your house. I would go with the Microbrites, Pentair's newest light, fits into a standard 1.5" fitting, and works great with the automation as well. I have three in my 30' long shell and its just about right. Any longer and I'd want another one.

Another think to think about with Latham FB shells, is there are normally a few places the skimmer can go in pre-formed places around the pool. Think about where you want them to be and make sure the PB knows this before he places the order with Latham. Latham cuts out the skimmer locations at the factory so knowing where they go when the PB places the order is important. The lights and return holes get drilled out on site.

Hmm, I haven't read anything about return location yet, didn't even know that was an option. Will have to look into that. The $2600 for just the iChlor 30 seemed expensive. Will check to see what the difference would be with the Intellicenter and IC40 bundle.

Lights they list two GloBrite LEDs. Don't mention location. Reading up on GloBrite vs Micro now to see if they have the same output.

Reading up about the Intellicenter and trying to understand the benefits. I am in to home automation (DIY with NodeMCU, HomeAssistant, etc). Also trying to find if it can interface with the Raypack NG heaters. Are these systems detecting FC and adjusting the IC40? Or just allowing you to manually adjust schedules, pumps, check water/air temp. etc? No spa for me, so I'm guessing no need for the actuated valves.

Get the Microbrites. The Globrites use a proprietary niche and often don't have a long life.

Pentair IntelliCenter automation WITH the IC40 system is $2200 (plus your builder markup).

Yeah, if they are marking the iChlor 30 up to $2600 not sure what they would mark that bundle up to. Not sure if they are including sacrificial anode or other things in that cost or not.

Why do you think you need a sacrificial anode on a FG pool?

SWG doesn't need a sacrificial anode. What will you have on your FG pool that the anode is protecting from corrosion?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
True. So no concerns with pump, heater etc. I've read that chemistry (ph) is more important.

Changing up the topic a bit, patio around the pool. We had stamped concrete at our old house (patio not a pool) and it was slippery when wet. Builder is recommending buff wash. Waiting to hear back with some pictures but sounds like tighter exposes aggregate. Should be not slippery but hopefully smoother than exposed aggregate pebbles.

Ok think I'm starting to see the usefulness of automation in my case. I only want the swg to be powered when the pump is running (flow as secondary protection).

I was looking at RJ45+ based on some other threads and on the fact I have no automation.

Looking at the superflow and external control mode, I could likely put together something with relays and integrate with my Home assistant.

Or upgrade to the intelliflow which can apparently talked directly to ic40.

Or get the bundle deal that was linked. Although I'm not sure what else I would automate (lights I'd probably want on HomeAssistant also).

So without considering automation, any thoughts on SJ45+ (currently having next size up for $10 deal) vs IC40?

I haven't read anything about return location yet, didn't even know that was an option
It is important to know where your winds normally come from, and then plan your skimmer and return locations around that. The wind will be a big contribution to the water moving towards the skimmer as much as the returns will.
Lights they list two GloBrite LEDs. Don't mention location. Reading up on GloBrite vs Micro now to see if they have the same output
The Microbites do have a lower output than the GloBrites, but it would still be a better choice. I have three Microbrites in my 30' long pool and they give off plenty of light. Like I said, with a 40' pool, I think you would want 4. I would think they would be evenly spaced on the the long side so they don't shine back to the house.

IMG_5190.jpg

Here is at night with my three...
IMG_5198.jpg

I know there are a few tech smart guys around here who have done some cool things taking their stock automation systems to the next level. I am not sure about the relays, etc., I use SmartThings as mu home automation, but know I really like my Intellicenter, Intelliflo, IC40, Microbrite setup. I have several schedules, can adjust my chlorine output, control lights, etc. With automation, no one really "needs' it, but it is sure nice.

Hey Central Ohio, good luck with your build! I'm in NE Ohio, contract signed for July this year. Sounds like everyone's taking great care of you, but I'll put my $0.02 in.

I've had sand before, and going with it again. Both sand and cartridge take some maintenance. Sand you flip a switch to backwash every now and then. Cartridge, depending upon your area, pollen levels, etc. you'll have to spend an hour or two couple times a year to take apart and clean the cartridges.

Definitely go with the IC 40 from everything I've read, and don't forget about IntelliConnect automation as an option since you don't have a spa and a pretty basic set up.

Heater, depends on your preferences. First pool we had, we didn't have a heater and swam mid-May to end September. Cold water doesn't bother me though. We're doing a heater this time though, Pentair 140 heat pump, just to take a little chill off the water in May and September. I'd get the biggest heater you can afford, otherwise, why bother. You'll use the same amount of energy, just depends upon how long the heater runs to warm up the pool.

Went ahead and ordered the intellicenter and ic40 combo linked above and upgraded to intelliflo pump. Microbrites as well. Thanks for the info and advice!

Went ahead and ordered the intellicenter and ic40 combo linked above and upgraded to intelliflo pump. Microbrites as well. Thanks for the info and advice!
Hi Sam - Ive been following your thread, we have pretty similar projects going and I am in NKY just south of Cincy, so not too far away from you. Anyway I am curious as to how you decided on the Intellicenter over the Intelliconnect + IC40. I am on the fence between the two and am struggling a little to pick a path. I have a simple system (fiberglass pool only(shell from Imagine), Pentair VS pump, IC40, Microbrite lights) so either system should work I think. Just curious of your thought process.

Good luck with your build!

Marc

I looked at the two a bit. In the end, for me, the cost was a bit closer due to the power center including the panel as well. I also liked that everything was in one box rather than adding the IC40 transformer, sub panel, and control box. I also liked the fact that there were some open local ports and api that I hope to tie into my HomeAssistant setup.

My setup is very similar to yours and I'm sure I would have been happy with the Intelliconnct and could have saved some money at the same time.

Just curious if you have a rough estimate of the difference in cost you were facing between the Intellicenter and Intelliconnect + IC40. My PB tells me that the Intellicenter is considerable more expensive when install and hardware are taken into account. The prices for the basic hardware are not that far apart when looking at vendors such as Polytec Pools, so it makes me wonder...

Yeah, that's the part that worked out for me. My PB quoted 2600 for the iChlor30 installed. Seemed high to me. But said if I wanted to buy the combo he would install it. I didn't tell him what price I was buying it for. So in my case it was actually cheaper. I did upgrade the pump also, so in the end I'll paying a couple hundred more but getting a lot more.

I could have asked about buying the other pieces and probably saved even more. I was just comparing to the original quote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.