Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
When do you know it's time to replace a cartridge filter?

After I clean the filter and pump basket, my pump always shows 14 psi. This morning after cleaning the filter, I put everything back and kept the filter out of the housing. The pump was showing 14 psi. Is this normal? I figured the PSI would have been lower since there was no filter for restriction?

It sounds more like your gauge may be defective. Does it fall to zero when turned off? If you have any doubts, you can get a good gauge HERE.

Generally, the cart filters will last a good 2 seasons or more if taken care of properly with regular rinsing. They may get discolored, but that's fine. When the bands begin to come apart from the pleats, or fall off completely, it's probably time for a replacement.

It sounds more like your gauge may be defective. Does it fall to zero when turned off? If you have any doubts, you can get a good gauge HERE.

Generally, the cart filters will last a good 2 seasons or more if taken care of properly with regular rinsing. They may get discolored, but that's fine. When the bands begin to come apart from the pleats, or fall off completely, it's probably time for a replacement.

The gauge seems to work fine. When the pump is off, the gauge does go back to 0. After a week or 2 I see it climb to around 20 psi at which time I take out the cartridge and clean it. The bands are in good shape. Good to know to keep an eye on them..

Frank,

If I don't get 10 years out of my cartridges, I will be very disappointed. I am working on year 6 now and see no degradation at all.

Pat must clean his filter several times a day.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

6 years? holy cow! How often are you cleaning the filter?

Frank,

I clean my filter twice a year.. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall, when it is warm enough to get wet...

I run my pump at about 1200 RPM most of the time and my filter pressure is only about 1 or 2 lbs..

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Wow
Reactions: Frank in FL
Frank,

I clean my filter twice a year.. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall, when it is warm enough to get wet...

I run my pump at about 1200 RPM most of the time and my filter pressure is only about 1 or 2 lbs..

Thanks,

Jim R.

WOW, ok. So im looking at roughly a year life expectancy cleaning it 3-4 times a month lol. I have to run my pump at 2k rpms. The flow switch for the cell turns on at 1725, plus I get good circulation at 2k.
A few times a day I do bump it up to 3450 for water features when we have company over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW, ok. So im looking at roughly a year life expectancy cleaning it 3-4 times a month lol. I have to run my pump at 2k rpms. The flow switch for the cell turns on at 1725, plus I get good circulation at 2k.
A few times a day I do bump it up to 3450 for water features when we have company over.
Why do you have to clean it that often

What's the CC at. Have you used floc or clarifier which can also have affected the cartridge.

CC is a close call between 0 and .5 but no more than .5

Ive used clarifier in the past, but it has not been a every week thing. Just when I jump in the pool I can see very small micro particles floating around.

The only hint of algae Ive had was 6 days after pool was filled last year. We got a little slimy water since the PB didn't put any chems in it. After they put chems in, everything has been good. Ive never seen anything that would tell me that I have algae, even though my FC has been maintained around 10 ppm for the last 9 months or so. If the TF 100 kit is accurate, then my pool stores and my Color Q was always off even though they both said I was between 4-6 ppm.

Just to clarify, my clean start up pressure of 14 is when the pump is at 3450 rpms. When its running at 2000 rpms, the gauge is barely off the 0 mark.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.