Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Anyone else having this issue? Is it heat related? 90-95 deg days last 2 weeks.
Central Florida
This heat is killing my chlorine. For the last few months Ive been running pump for 20 hours with salt cell at 80% and been maintaining 5-6ppm of FC with no issues.
For the past week, Ive been running pump 24/7.
Tested water other day FC was at 3.5.
Raised the salt cell to 90%, pump on 24hrs and yesterday FC was at 3.
Put the cell on 100% , todays FC was at 2.5.
These readings were all done at the same time every day, 7pm ish.
Ive got no algae, water is crystal clear.
FC 3
CYA 70
ALK 70
SALT 3500
WATER TEMP 88-91

Hey man !! You need to Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. No two ways about it. Remove the sun from the equation and know for sure. If you pass then raise the CYA by 10 and trial that. Some folks have had to go to 90 this year but its not easily undone so try the first 2 steps first.

Hey man !! You need to Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. No two ways about it. Remove the sun from the equation and know for sure. If you pass then raise the CYA by 10 and trial that. Some folks have had to go to 90 this year but its not easily undone so try the first 2 steps first.
HEY!
So turn pool off now, test it and re test it tomorrow morning?

Reactions: Newdude
Yeah. Then test again before the sun gets going in the morning. You don't have to get up at dawn, but also not 9:15. I was just off looking up your cell. The only one I could find is rated at 15k gallons. Are there different models ? If not that could be a reason for the struggle also.

Yeah. Then test again before the sun gets going in the morning. You don't have to get up at dawn, but also not 9:15. I was just off looking up your cell. The only one I could find is rated at 15k gallons. Are there different models ? If not that could be a reason for the struggle also.

Ive got the Tru Clear Jandy. Thought it was rated for 30 or 35k gallons?
Ill test it around 730 tomorrow

OK for the rating. The sites that had them were only showing the 15k model. Or maybe the others were out of stock and taken offline? I dunno. If you test 1 or less FC loss its not algae and we can bump your CYA.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s great !! It’s not great that you have algae but it’s great that you know about it while the water is still clear. It will be a much easier SLAM Process which you have already been through and know what to do. Nice catch !!

Forgot to mention. My phosphate level is about 1000.
do I treat for phosphates first or do I slam first or do it both at the same time?

That level of phosphates, if tested with a proper Taylor kit, is not of significance.
The pool must be completely free of algae prior to performing a phosphate removal treatment. It is in the instructions of the clarifier used.

Forget the phosphates. Proper chlorine keeps the algae away, so the algae food is a non-issue.

If I remember correctly, you learned last time that ending a SLAM too early puts you right back at square 1 soon. Ending it too late costs you a few bucks in wasted chlorine. Err on the side of caution and you’ll be good for the rest of the season.

Ha. Whoops I thought you had to do it when the SWG kept dying on you at the start of the season. I got problems remembering yesterday at times. 6 months ago ? Pssssssh !!! o_O

Actually I’ve never slammed before. This is my first time.
Just started it. Over shot my slam range. Got a 38 FC reading lol. I’ll check it tonight when sun goes down and again in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.