Cant hold chlorine

The best thing about TFP is the method does not try to dazzle or confuse you with "try this" or "try this". The solution is simple. You have organics still in your pool and the correct way to rid yourself of them is chlorine.

Naturally, it is your pool and you must manage it the way you see fit but our advice is based on thousands and thousands of pools over 15+ years.......and our advice would be more chlorine.

I was sent this in a message just now. Sounds good. But has science proven this?
Whats y'all thoughts on it?

I see you have mentioned overshooting what your Slam should be for your CYA, even mentioning you had it at "25-35". So why is that a problem you ask? If you overshoot the target FC, even with no loss due to algae your "excessive" (in relation to your CYA) has to go somewhere. You are exceeding the limits as to what the stabilizer can reasonably "hold". Not sure of all the scientific details, but it's something I had picked up along my own personal adventures as advice from others.

So it could be your FC is burning off simply because it is eliminating the saturation (may not be the right term, but I think you'll understand what I mean). If your CYA is 70 your FC should be 28, if your CYA was 60 (and just mentioning this in case your CYA may have actually been a bit lower) then FC should be held at 24. If you are above that, well the stabilizer can't really stabilize that high of a level and releases it. Your pool water is setting itself to the level that the stabilizer can support.
A case that more is not always better.

See if that helps crack the code for you.

Things to consider...not meant to be patronizing. I've got extra chlorine demand myself that's unexplained though I passed SLAM. The next day after passed OCLT, I went back to an extra 2-3 ppm loss of fc beyond what I've had the previous six years that had always been predictable. These were the things I keep going through in my head:

That cya not holding excessive chlorine theory in my mind holds up only with respect to UV. Doesn't explain the overnight loss. CYA is for protecting fc loss from sunlight and should not matter otherwise. I've read where ecperts have said overshooting fc will waste chlorine via faster uv degradation, but never followed a thread where it was discovered loss occurs during the night no matter the fc level.

There are other possible organics besides regular, green algae that could possibly be harder to eradicate even with clear water; maybe? mustard algae; some sort of bacteria or other organic? I sometimes show a trace of cc but always pass.

Have you checked and double cjecked every knook and cranny of the pool surface, ladder, steps, jet, skimmer; inside filter; brushed and wiped off everything?

Confident of your cya level? All indications are that you are.

Keeping the FC SLAM level up as much as possible throughout the day?

I may enough drops
To test in the morning. After that I’m out! And I just bought the bottle a few weeks ago!
16oz bottle will be here on Wednesday.
Yes I’m confident on cya. Everything has been brushed from coping to main drain.
Filter housing is clean as well as the skimmer.
Yes for past 9 days I’ve been easily maintaining 25+ on FC.
If i don’t pass the loss test tonight I’ll maintain around 25 FC during the day tomm and then dump enough chlorine in to raise me north of 50 around 7pm.
After this I’m out of all options

Last edited:
Got new drops in. I’ll be doing an OCLT here shortly. Today is day 13

@JoyfulNoise, I read one of the other posts that I was tagged in regarding my issue. You mentioned that I may have other contaminants in the pool.
What other contaminants would cause my issue?
What kind of tests do I need to do?

Right now it’s around 50. Was at 70 when I started, but we’ve gotten a lot rain here in Fl and obviously it got diluted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leave the CYA wherever it is. Adjust your FC to 40% of CYA. Then do an OCLT. If you’re at 50ppm CYA, then your shock level FC is 20ppm. That’s where you should be at when you do an OCLT.

Reactions: Frank in FL
I have not added any CYA since all this started.
I just did a test and im currently at 14 ppm.
I confirm my CYA tomorrow and adjust my FC to 40% and do a OCLT..

Reactions: Newdude
Im home for the rest of the day. Just ran a full water analysis.

FC 13
CC 0
ALK 60
CYA 40
CH 450
PH 7.5
Salt 3400

Based on the 40% to FC, I should be at 16 for a slam. Should I add chlorine now or wait until tonight?
Also, should I adjust the PH back down to 7.2 or just leave it at 7.5?

We recommend turning off the SWCG as that way you know the real FC consumption going on. But up to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.