Can’t get any free chlorine reading

Any special way you want me to clean this ladder besides rinsing it off with a hose?
Dump it out good and flip it around until there isn’t any swooshing left. Clean what you can get to with a diluted 10:1 bleach mix. Dump some inside anywhere you have access to. It hasn’t been that long so it’s probably not that bad, but we’ve seen those ladders CAKED on the insides with algae. Probably not for you, but it won’t hurt to treat whatever you can.

Reactions: Jennybird
Dump it out good and flip it around until there isn’t any swooshing left. Clean what you can get to with a diluted 10:1 bleach mix. Dump some inside anywhere you have access to. It hasn’t been that long so it’s probably not that bad, but we’ve seen those ladders CAKED on the insides with algae. Probably not for you, but it won’t hurt to treat whatever you can.
So when I do the overnight loss, do I subtract it from what I slammed it to or what the reading was?
Last night reading at bedtime was 10 and I slammed it to 12, This morning the reading is 7, is that. 3 or 5 ppm loss?

Last night reading at bedtime was 10 and I slammed it to 12
So you added bleach to get back to 12. You started at 12………
This morning the reading is 7
……. And ended at 7

12-7 = 5. As said above either

failed. But we expect to fail for a while so don’t look at it as a negative. It’s just part of the process.

Now, I like you to get the experience so I will be thrilled if you continue, But not having clear water means you don’t have to OCLT at this stage if this ever happens again. Your eyes are a test too and you fail. Once the water is clear, then you start OCLTs. But get the practice in now. (y)

Speaking of clear water, how’s it lookin

So you added bleach to get back to 12. You started at 12………

……. And ended at 7

12-7 = 5. As said above either

failed. But we expect to fail for a while so don’t look at it as a negative. It’s just part of the process.

Now, I like you to get the experience so I will be thrilled if you continue, But not having clear water means you don’t have to OCLT at this stage if this ever happens again. Your eyes are a test too and you fail. Once the water is clear, then you start OCLTs. But get the practice in now. (y)

Speaking of clear water, how’s it lookin
It looks amazing! A couple tiny little gray spots which I’m assuming is algae, when we brush and vacuum they go away but so much better! 🎉

Do you think I should take your filter cartridge out and wash it? Or at least check it? The reading hasn’t gone up, but I didn’t know if it would be good to check it?
It’s easy enough to bust it open to see. If you haven’t cleaned it since the water had been clear. It’s probably pretty funky. A quick hose down either way will certainly help.

Reactions: Jennybird

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s easy enough to bust it open to see. If you haven’t cleaned it since the water had been clear. It’s probably pretty funky. A quick hose down either way will certainly help.
So the last time I cleaned the filter the reading of the psi did not go down at all even though the filter looked really clean. Should I use TSP this time? I just used the hose and water last time, and I was reading about the tsp.

Does your filter pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is turned off?
Could be time for a replacement.

Try a high pressure nozzle to get deep into the pleats. Don't use a pressure washer
as they are too strong for the filter media.

Thanks! It went down to zero so I think I think it’s fine 😊
So this morning is free chlorine reading was 6 and that’s the most it’s dropped overnight since I started slamming on Thursday night. I checked the CYA and I filled it to the top of the tube and although the dot is not black anymore if I really really look I can see it. Any advice?

So this morning is free chlorine reading was 6 and that’s the most it’s dropped overnight since I started slamming on Thursday night. I checked the CYA and I filled it to the top of the tube and although the dot is not black anymore if I really really look I can see it. Any advice?
So I repeated the CYA test it’s very subjective but I believe it’s between 20 and 15. I did add 20 at the beginning of slam because my CYA was zero but I’ve been slamming for 30.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.