Can’t get any free chlorine reading

I will check at 6 AM when I get up and put that in. Should I do anything additional tonight
Yes. Read up on SLAM Process. Procedure is procedure, But we pretty much know you’ll fail the OCLT. Plus you have cloudy water, so it’s 0 fer 2.

before SLAM, You will need to get to 30 ppm CYA. At 20 so you don’t overshoot. If it still doesn’t read 30, Add 10 more. You can start this in the morning if you have it. Hand ganular in a sock in front of the return. It will get mushy and squeeze out after a while. Your choice if you squeeze it often or just let it sit for a day and squeeze it out in 5 mins then.

then you need the PH to be 7.2. Lower it per poolmath from your 7.5 with MA. Once in SLaM the PH test is invalid so you start low to know you have enough time to SLAM before PH is an issue again.

My free Chlorine is only 2 at this point about three hours after adding the 10 ppm. Should I add anything else tonight?
^^^**. See above. :) The OCLT is kinda moot if you can’t hold FC for 3 hours when it’s almost dark. We will be slamming.

Yes. Read up on SLAM Process. Procedure is procedure, But we pretty much know you’ll fail the OCLT. Plus you have cloudy water, so it’s 0 fer 2.

before SLAM, You will need to get to 30 ppm CYA. At 20 so you don’t overshoot. If it still doesn’t read 30, Add 10 more. You can start this in the morning if you have it. Hand ganular in a sock in front of the return. It will get mushy and squeeze out after a while. Your choice if you squeeze it often or just let it sit for a day and squeeze it out in 5 mins then.

then you need the PH to be 7.2. Lower it per poolmath from your 7.5 with MA. Once in SLaM the PH test is invalid so you start low to know you have enough time to SLAM before PH is an issue again.
No I don’t have any CYA, where would I get it and what exactly is it called?

Stabilizer / Cyanuric Acid. Available at Walmart / HD / Lowe’s (in the pool aisle in the Outdoors-y garden center) or the pool store. Get granular and make sure the back label says 99% or 100% Cyanuric acid.

Reactions: Jennybird
*might as well buy 10 gallons of bleach while you’re there too. Pool essentials liquid shock at Walmart and Lowe’s or HDX chlorinating liquid at HD

How much CYA do I add, when do I check the level?
1lb 11 ounces will get you 20. If you need the full 30 added it’s 2 lbs 8 ounces. It will take a day to disperse with the sock.

So for SLAM (after CYA gets to 30 and you lower PH to 7.2). You will keep the FC at 12 for as long as it takes to be clear. The more often you test/add, The quicker it goes. 2 hours is best and there is no harm waiting until the weekend to hit it hard and often. For working people it usually works best. Saturday is 2 hour tests, Sunday starts to hold the FC 4-6 hours and by Monday it’s holding 8 hours and everybody can get back to work testing before/after work and at bed.

All through slam you will brush and vac everyday. If you have time for more, it will help.

The pump runs until we are done.

Clean/backwash the filter anytime the pressure goes up 25%.

Read SLAM Process several times.

Ask away at any time. :)

1lb 11 ounces will get you 20. If you need the full 30 added it’s 2 lbs 8 ounces. It will take a day to disperse with the sock.

So for SLAM (after CYA gets to 30 and you lower PH to 7.2). You will keep the FC at 12 for as long as it takes to be clear. The more often you test/add, The quicker it goes. 2 hours is best and there is no harm waiting until the weekend to hit it hard and often. For working people it usually works best. Saturday is 2 hour tests, Sunday starts to hold the FC 4-6 hours and by Monday it’s holding 8 hours and everybody can get back to work testing before/after work and at bed.

All through slam you will brush and vac everyday. If you have time for more, it will help.

The pump runs until we are done.

Clean/backwash the filter anytime the pressure goes up 25%.

Read SLAM Process several times.

Ask away at any time. :)
The water does look clear now, does that change anything? Also how quickly can the CYA go in ( and I make sure it’s @30) so I can start working on the pH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so how quickly can the CYA go in ( and I make sure it’s @30) so I can start working
The CYA will take a day to dissolve and a day or so to fully show up. You can count it as there as soon as you hang the sock. So add for 20 but SLAM for 30. If we have to add the extra 10 during, a couple of days later, it’s no biggie, because it’s better to start the SLAM asap.
so I can start working on the pH?
They are not dependent on each other. Add MA slowly by the running return and brush the floor. Verify the PH is 7.2 20 mins later. Hang the sock and you’re good to SLAM at your convenience.

The water does look clear now, does that change anything
No, You still fail with the high FC loss. But. Clear water generally makes for an easier and/or quicker SLAM.

The CYA will take a day to dissolve and a day or so to fully show up. You can count it as there as soon as you hang the sock. So add for 20 but SLAM for 30. If we have to add the extra 10 during, a couple of days later, it’s no biggie, because it’s better to start the SLAM asap.

They are not dependent on each other. Add MA slowly by the running return and brush the floor. Verify the PH is 7.2 20 mins later. Hang the sock and you’re good to SLAM at your convenience.

No, You still fail with the high FC loss. But. Clear water generally makes for an easier and/or quicker SLAM.
Ok! Can I vacuum the pool while this is all going on too?

Ok! Can I vacuum the pool while this is all going on too
Oh yes. Vac and brush daily. As many times as you can squeeze in. Algae on the surfaces grows a biofilm to protect itself from the harsh environment. Everytime you brush off a layer, the water kills the next one.

And as far as the muriatic acid, do I use the 31% and do I use liquid or granules? And is there any special precautions I have to take when I put in the CYA or the muriatic acid, goggles or gloves etc.?

CYA is harmless. Rinse your hands well after just because.

MA can be 31% or 14% liquid. HD/Lowe’s has it in the paint aisle and the pool aisle. Look for buzz words on the label for the watered down 14% if the % isn’t specifically listed on the bottle. Green / eco / low fumes / 90% less fumes are all 14%. Select the right option in pool math accordingly.

Use gloves and saftey glasses if you have them, but no respirators. Also rinse very well after.

CYA is harmless. Rinse your hands well after just because.

MA can be 31% or 14% liquid. HD/Lowe’s has it in the paint aisle and the pool aisle. Look for buzz words on the label for the watered down 14% if the % isn’t specifically listed on the bottle. Green / eco / low fumes / 90% less fumes are all 14%. Select the right option in pool math accordingly.

Use gloves and saftey glasses if you have them, but no respirators. Also rinse very well after.
Got it! And how long after I put in the muriatic acid can I start the chlorine?

And how long after I put in the muriatic acid can I start the chlorine?
Add the MA and brush well. It’s heavier than water and may pool up at the bottom. By the time you’re done swooshing it around, you can add the chlorine. Also brush for that too because the same reason. :)

Add the MA and brush well. It’s heavier than water and may pool up at the bottom. By the time you’re done swooshing it around, you can add the chlorine. Also brush for that too because the same reason. :)
OK, I hung the sock I put the muriatic acid in, the ph was 7.3 and I did my first dose of 12 PPM chlorine. Now do I just check it in a couple hours and if the drop chlorine is not at 12 ppm I add the same amount (12 ppm)??

OK, I hung the sock I put the muriatic acid in, the ph was 7.3 and I did my first dose of 12 PPM chlorine. Now do I just check it in a couple hours and if the drop chlorine is not at 12 ppm I add the same amount (12 ppm)??
Yes. Your target is 12. Every 2 hours you test and bring it back to 12. It may change from test to test so use that test to dose from, The 6 that it is now, (add 6) And the 8 it might be later. (Add 4).

Do the best you can between now and the weekend and plan on babysitting then (the best you can there too because it’s not like life stops on the weekend). Lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.