Can wind raise pH?

So, 2-4ppm FC fall off daily is typical (Mknauss), and too much FC fall loss is 1-3ppm on daily testing (splashpad) here is my current scenario.

Just tested..
FC 7
CC 0
CYA 30
Pool TA 100 -Fill Water TA 70-
pH 8.0

I want to raise my CYA to 50. Should I do this by adding Dichlor?
I will test FC and pH daily and report those here.
Anything else you can think of?

Reactions: splashpad
So, 2-4ppm FC fall off daily is typical (Mknauss), and too much FC fall loss is 1-3ppm on daily testing (splashpad) here is my current scenario.
My suggestion is based on a 4-6hr testing window, (which would translate to 3-6+ppm for the day =8-12hrs) ;) I should have noted that

Just tested..
FC 7
CC 0
CYA 30
Pool TA 100 -Fill Water TA 70-
pH 8.0

I want to raise my CYA to 50. Should I do this by adding Dichlor?
I will test FC and pH daily and report those here.
Anything else you can think of?
1. Absolutely :) (use PoolMath to estimate how many/much to use)
2. It will let you learn/see how your pool trends, time of day is good to note :)
3. You are definitely headed in the right direction!
3a. Always undershoot when adding chemicals (any of them), just in case the reaction is stronger than expected.
Q: How much sun does your pool get? Cna you share a picture? ?

Keep adjusting our pH to 7.6 when it gets to 8. Your TA will fall a bit. I suppose you get some of your fill water from the sky (rain). I believe your TA will settle about where your fill water TA is. But you will always have to add a bit of acid over time.

Keep adjusting our pH to 7.6 when it gets to 8. Your TA will fall a bit. I suppose you get some of your fill water from the sky (rain). I believe your TA will settle about where your fill water TA is. But you will always have to add a bit of acid over time.
So I know Muriatic Acid (MA) lowers pH, but it also lowers TA?
I will also start being more precise with my measurements of MA into my pool- I kind of "guess" how much in 8 oz increments..maybe a measuring cup....

Each time you add MA, it consumes TA and lowers pH. Then through CO2 outgassing, your pH rises.

A measuring cup is a good idea. Just be careful. I pour it from the MA jug to the cup close to the water. So if I spill, it goes into the pool.

Reactions: Shapmaui
My suggestion is based on a 4-6hr testing window, (which would translate to 3-6+ppm for the day =8-12hrs) ;) I should have noted that

1. Absolutely :) (use PoolMath to estimate how many/much to use)
2. It will let you learn/see how your pool trends, time of day is good to note :)
3. You are definitely headed in the right direction!
3a. Always undershoot when adding chemicals (any of them), just in case the reaction is stronger than expected.
Q: How much sun does your pool get? Cna you share a picture? ?
thank you splashpad for the added clarity- I get a lot of sun typically. Today it was 85*

Each time you add MA, it consumes TA and lowers pH. Then through CO2 outgassing, your pH rises.

A measuring cup is a good idea. Just be careful. I pour it from the MA jug to the cup close to the water. So if I spill, it goes into the pool.
yes- over the pool- for sure.
Lesson learned, the first time I handled MA, I put the jug back into a cabinet by my pool, and carefully laid it down to fit in cabinet. About 20 minutes later, I walked by and saw my pool tiles bubbling under the cabinet. I quickly opened the cabinet and saw the acid had leaked out, dripped through the wood, and onto the tile! Wow. amazing it destroys tile but you can swim in it!!

• Wow
I store my MA in a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with a lid outside, not near any metal. The fumes will corrode any metal nearby. Never store it in a confined space.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I store my MA in a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with a lid outside, not near any metal. The fumes will corrode any metal nearby. Never store it in a confined space.
I will do that as well. I have it stored in the same place it leaked out, but now upright- and all the hinges are corroded..
Also where do you get your 10% Bleach? I saw that in your poolmath log

I will do that as well. I have it stored in the same place it leaked out, but now upright- and all the hinges are corroded..
Also where do you get your 10% Bleach? I saw that in your poolmath log
I would check with your store manager about requesting it. :)

When you buy any liquid chlorine, it needs to be stored in the coolest/darkest spot you can. And preferably stored inside the store.
Check the printed date codes, get the freshest you can buy.

Also there might be pool supply stores near you, see if any of them carry Liquid Chlorine, Liquid Shock or Sodium Hypochlorite (the 'fancy' chemical name), the strength might be 10%-12.5%

Last edited:
Reactions: Shapmaui
I would check with your store manager about requesting it. :)

When you buy any liquid chlorine, it needs to be stored in the coolest/darkest spot you can. And preferably stored inside the store.
Check the printed date codes, get the freshest you can buy.

Also there might be pool supply stores near you, see if any of them carry Liquid Chlorine, Liquid Shock or Sodium Hypochlorite (the 'fancy' chemical name), the strength might be 10%-12.5%
thank you

Test you fill water's TA and lower the TA in your pool to around 50-60 That should slow your pH rise.

Keep your pH out of the 8's or you stand a good chance of seeing calcium scale in your pool.

thanks!
my fill water TA is 70, lower than my pool TA of 100.

just wondering, what do you recommend to lower the TA? Muriatic Acid?
  1. Use PoolMath to calculate _exactly_ how much Muriatic Acid to add to reduce the PH to 7.0 (make sure you match the Muriatic Acid % strength to what you have)
    • With Pump running, add Muriatic Acid from a measuring cup slowly above the return (water coming into pool)
  2. then wait 30min and check for the PH to rise (if you can create aeration in the pool, this step can be sped up)
  3. repeat steps 1&2 until the PH stops rising quickly and/or you've reached TA/50-60
  4. Full Info & Steps Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

Last edited:
I have hopefully started down the road of a more stable pH.
Here's how I did it.
FIRST: I got the Pool Math app, which is VERY helpful to keep track of everything I have been doing in a clear, concise, and secured way.
SECOND: I bought a measuring cup, and followed the pool math required numbers to a tee.
THIRD: Adding bleach first to raise my FC to the recommended FC/CYA upper range of 7 yesterday afternoon.
By this morning, my FC was at 4ppm, so I added the recommended amount of bleach to raise to 7ppm, which was successful, but has already dropped to 6ppm 5 hours later. I will monitor every AM for the next week to see what is typical drop.
FOURTH: I also got my pH from 8.2 this AM to 7 about an hour ago. My TA dropped to 90 from 100.
I will monitor pH daily and drop to 7 until my TA reaches roughly 50-60, then get my pH to stay at about 7.8 for normal.

How does this all sound? Anyone? and many Mahalos for your assistance!

@splashpad thanks for the Walmart Chlorinating Liquid pointer; In stock here and 25% less cost per molecule...

About managing FC: I run a small 12V peristaltic pump that is computer controlled. I run it twice a day 2AM and 2 PM and the FC stays about 4-6 ppm always after I get it calibrated. Once a month I take the FC to 10, adding that at night. I run Borate and usual CYA and I have NEVER had any cloudiness or algae. I have gone away for 10 days and came back to perfect water..
And there is NO perceptible chlorine smell when swimming. THANKS LOTS! To the TFP community for educating me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.