Can I install safety cover anchors while concrete deck is being poured?

nilloc

Sep 27, 2013
We're installing a new pool now, 6 years after moving away from our last place with a pool.
When they pour the concrete for the deck, can they just embed the anchors for the safety cover into the concrete while it's still wet so we don't have to drill into hardened concrete afterwards? All of the installation instructions involve an already finished deck.
Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have the cover yet?

I think you would not be able to predict the placement of the anchors until you have the cover and see exactly where they put the straps.

In addition I think figuring out the layout over wet concrete would be a mess.

Reactions: borjis
Concrete shrinks as it cures and will grab hold of the tube part if placed when wet. The brass heads of the anchors and threads will strip eventually, or seize. You will never get the tubes out when the time comes.

Is this DIY ? If not, you've already paid for them to drill the patio with the installation costs. Enjoy your lemonade while they work. :)

If it is DIY You'll need a couple hours with a quality drill bit, but it's not as bad as you think. Some patios they reccomend pilot holes, sometimes not. I dunno, I'm not a Mason.

I was also thinking before that you could use pipe that's slightly larger than the anchors and tape / cap them so they didn't fill with cement. Install them kinda like umbrella sleeves and drop the anchors in the pipes afterwatds. A little bit of sand would make up the difference between the pipe and anchor tube. They don't need any vertical support, they only tug horizontal towards the pool.

*If you know your locations.

They need rotational support. If you look at an anchor, it has a ridged lip at the top. After you drill a hole, you use a special aluminum tamping tool to tap the anchor down into the hole so that the ridges grip the concrete. This is important because each spring and fall, the anchor will just spin in the hole when you raise or lower the anchor if the ridges don't have a good grip.
Loop-Loc | Consumer Buy Parts

They need rotational support.
Many of mine came right out and i would hold the tube and adjust the head for whichever season. Then I'd pop them back in.

It's funny too because usually the reason they free spun in the hole was because the head seized. I imagine most people have this problem because the drilled hole will always be slightly larger than the anchor pipe.

Thanks, everybody, for your answers. The company installing the pool installs auto-covers with all of their pools (except ours), so I'm providing the cover and anchors. (I didn't want to pay the extra $15,000 for an auto cover)
I'll tell them I want them to drill and install the anchors after the concrete is cured.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.