C-19 Vaccine-I got one

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine on Jan. 14th. I'm in category 1b and it was a drive-thru that took about 5 min + 15-30min of monitoring time. Received the Moderna vaccine. Arm was pretty sore for two days but no other reactions.

I got the first shot of Moderna last Thursday. My shoulder was ok for the first few hours, then it got really sore that evening, Friday I could do most activities, but raising my arm too high was very painful. I had never had a vaccine cause that kind of soreness. That Friday evening most of the soreness was gone, but I got a low grade fever and fatigue started around 1900. Fever broke a few hours later. Fatigue was there up until Saturday afternoon. Sunday I was back to normal, maybe still some fatigue but not bad.

Edit: I did the drive-thru, quick and easy. They have you park in a designated spot for the 15 minute wait (30 if you have other conditions). EMS is standing by, if you feel funky you honk your horn and they come to you.

Interesting. All I can add is that I found out yesterday it wouldn't be mandatory at my employer. I was very certain it would be and I disagree with that in general.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing because I could potentially get it before anyone else in my family for more than one reason. I really would want all of us to get it at the same time/times. I Am 1B or 1C I guess depending on what they decide, I guess. I do have medical conditions that put me in the 5% death risk category, so I suppose maybe I ought to consider getting it before the rest of the family. Not an easy decision.

It's up in the air for the "essential" category here in AZ though. Even among other employees they are subcategories. I dunno about the whole thing. I suspect it's going to be like any other attempt to control something that largely won't be in the control of human beings. Hope it's better than I think.

We've been trying to schedule via online sites about 5-10 times a day. A little frustrating to see "No appointments available" every time but I think there seem to be more locations and they get about 100 doses while there are 10,000 waiting in line. I never have done lines very well but I think they're doing the best they can with limited supply.

We cannot get a solid answer from our health dept. about them having the vaccine on hand to do our second shot. They answer with "Your request has been received". This is all email as the phone lines are clogged and we can't get through that way.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing because I could potentially get it before anyone else in my family for more than one reason. I really would want all of us to get it at the same time/times.
By getting it yourself now you'll be helping to protect your family members who have to wait to get theirs by eliminating yourself (hopefully) as a possible source of transmission

Reactions: Newdude
My wife (ICU nurse) just received her 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine last week. 1st dose she had a slightly sore arm. 2nd dose on a Friday afternoon and felt flu-ish for the weekend... mild fever, chills, and body aches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most employers are trying to stagger the injections so that the whole staff isn’t sick at the same time. But then with only about 55% taking the vaccines (in some places) it may not be that big of an issue.

I got an email reminder to make my appointment for dose 2. It had a link that I tried to use several times a day for three solid days. After no success in scheduling at the same site that did dose 1, I tried the site for the State Farm Stadium in Phoenix, where the are operating 24/7. I was able to schedule for Feb. 3 at 1:00am. Not ideal to have to drive 125 miles for a injection in the middle of the night, but I’ll take what I can get. It took me a while to contact someone to confirm that they are indeed using the Pfizer vaccine. Basically, trying to schedule vaccinations has been my full time occupation every single day for several weeks now.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
The residents where I work were eligible for the vaccine and 99% asked to receive it. Those that said no did so because they got one from their primary doc. The shot givers told the staff that if there was enough we would be offered one. There were 9 left at the end of the day. I was given one. Here are my findings:

The vaccines were given January 7, 2021.

-residents-most were the 15 mins wait time
-a few were 30 mins wait time due to past reactions to other meds.

None of the people who received the vaccine had a reaction at the time of the shot.

The next day about half of us were said to have a sore arm at the site of injection.

Several of us noted we were fatigued the night of the vaccine. The fatigued cared into the next day for some of us. Just slightly off more than anything.

No large reactions were noted the next day. So far it has been a non-issue.

We were to get the Moderna but they ran out the day before. We received the Pfizer vaccine. They had the vials in a styrofoam cooler with a temp gauge on it. They had a VERY precise method with 2 checks/balances on mixing it and handling it. Invert not shake to mix it kind of thing.

My arm is still slightly sore today (Saturday) but that is the only thing I can notice. I am back at full energy and feeling great!

If any long term things show up I will update.

We will get our second shot on the 28th of this month.

Kim:kim:

Nice Kim! I got my first dose a few weeks ago and I’m due for second in 2 weeks. I have my appt and time already from the day I was given my first.

That is the biggest fear up here in pa. What about second doses? What if places run out even though you have an appt. are the logistics in place properly to control amounts needed for second doses.

Those drive up places they are doing down south worry me cause those people aren’t given dates for second shots we hear. They are kinda on thier own.

Pa’s latest move hurt teachers cause they added millions to 1a but didn’t move to 1b so teachers are out there on thier own too now cause of all the people added to 1a.

Most people I know say first dose. No big deal. I had a sore arm. That’s it. Second dose is taking out whole groups of staff in places with flu symptoms. No big deal cause it’s a 2 day thing.

Those drive up places they are doing down south worry me cause those people aren’t given dates for second shots we hear. They are kinda on thier own.
I did the drive up vaccine, here, in North Texas, and was given a card with Vacc info AND the all
important date for the second shot. Fingers crossed that all goes well with that timeline and
availability.

I got an email reminder to make my appointment for dose 2. It had a link that I tried to use several times a day for three solid days. After no success in scheduling at the same site that did dose 1, I tried the site for the State Farm Stadium in Phoenix, where the are operating 24/7. I was able to schedule for Feb. 3 at 1:00am. Not ideal to have to drive 125 miles for a injection in the middle of the night, but I’ll take what I can get. It took me a while to contact someone to confirm that they are indeed using the Pfizer vaccine. Basically, trying to schedule vaccinations has been my full time occupation every single day for several weeks now.

See that’s what my biggest fear with these mass sights. I just said that. They are hanging you all to dry. Not good.

Why hasn’t states jist used national guard is beyond me. It’s what they do best. They r trained for this. Doses go right to military and it gets done.

By getting it yourself now you'll be helping to protect your family members who have to wait to get theirs by eliminating yourself (hopefully) as a possible source of transmission

Yes. Thee as ya how I see it also. My wife and myself are both healthcare. She has been living on the covid floor since April. Luckily we have been spared but we also have a extensive decontamination process when both of us get home cause of the kids and my parents. My parents r pretty much my household being they take my kids to school each day and are in my house every morning getting them ready with me and then after school till we get home.

We got an email from the Health Department yesterday with a link to yet another place to sign up. Clicked on it expecting another "sorry all appointments are booked". But not this time! Both have appointment for the first shot this Wednesday. We feel very fortunate.

Reactions: kimkats and Leebo
It looks like how vaccines are allocated within eligible groups is left up to the site giving the vaccine. I'm getting mine through work, so when I got the first dose they gave me my appointment card for the second dose. My son's work is doing it the same way.

Just got ours shots this morning, first one and it's the Pfizer brand. Getting through thee maze of lottery style appointment systems was ridiculous but at least we got out slot. As difficult as that process was, getting the actual shot was like a perfectly orchestrated musical. They had all 600+ of us lined up and sorting into lines to verify paperwork and ID then into a room that had close to 50 "shot stations" and then into a waiting room in 45 min start to finish! While our 2 hr slot was going in we could see the prior slot leaving. Fantastic!

As for the shot itself, painless and very quick - 5 minutes at most. No after affects for me or my wife that normally has a little more discomfort than me even for regular flu shot. Neither of us felt a thing. Now get this, we both have confirmed appointments for the next shot Feb 17th same time, same place!

Chris

Reactions: Lilypad and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.