Build thread: Vinyl in-ground, 18x40, Fastlane, Autocover.

Construction update: water is in the pool, and yesterday they got the pump hooked up to a temporary electric line, so it's running. Picture below. We're still waiting on a microbrite light to come in. Fastlane and autocover are yet to come (autocover is waiting for the concrete).

My TF100 came in, so I tested for fun this morning. There's no chlorine (I knew that), and the pH is at least as dark as the darkest mark (should've photographed it --- is it 8.2?). My builder said the pool (which is not pretty right now, but not as bad as it might be) will get worse before it gets better but that I shouldn't worry because they'll get it all fixed up. I told them about the high pH today and said that didn't seem good (am I right?) and that I'd be happy to chlorinate and balance myself. I told them I want to avoid starting out with an algae problem.

Anyway, I might be on my way to the Chemistry forum to get started! Or should I stay here on Construction?

One caveat: I couldn't really get to the pool very easily, so the water sample came from maybe 4" down. Maybe the pH is lower further down...

Trusses are up on the poolhouse! They won't be back until Monday because we're expecting really high winds.
IMG_6305.jpg

Stay here! We will keep you going.

pH-it could be even higher than you think. You will have a battle on your hand in the beginning to get it down. What you will do is use Pool Math. See how much acid it says to add to get your water down to 7.8 from 8.2. Add that with the pump running on high AND you brushing the pool. Wait about 20 mins or so. Test again..............keep doing this cycle until you see it get in the 7s. That is when you know you have won the battle!

Kim:kim:

Test the pH, TA & CH of your fill water so we have an idea what you started with.

Getting pH under control should not be very difficult with a vinyl liner pool.

Thanks, guys. My fill water is a nice 7.2. Wait: that's the pH after it's softened. I'll have to test from the hose bib tonight. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out volume. It appears that since the start of my fill (last Thursday) through this morning (Thursday, one week later), I've used 24057 gallons of water on the meter. (I turned off the hose Tuesday night and forgot to take the reading then.) I'm sure they'd filled the pool up some before my contractor got the meter reading on the first day of fill. So probably there was an hour or two of hose flowing before that first meter reading. According to the weather folks, we've had 1.76" of rain, which accounts for about 700 gallons. The rain could well have been more than 1.76" at my house.

Pool Math says that my pool is 43000 gallons.

Now: my pool has full-length steps and swimouts on the deep end corners.... could that account for the huge difference? @bmoreswim , I see your pool is 27,000 gallons and we have similar setups -- you have lots of bench space, too. Should I use 24000 gallons for my pool math? Would my PB know the exact number based on the liner order?

18x40’ pool with AVERAGE depth of 5’ is 26,900 gallons. 4’ average depth is 21,500. You are somewhere between those two. No way your pool is 43K.

What is the shallow and deep end depth?

It’s supposed to be 3’4” to 8’4”. Oops. I didn’t put in average depth on pool math! Avg is 70” so then I get 31,200 gallons.

I would use 30,000 in PoolMath and see how accurate the effects of adding chemicals is. Then you can adjust it up or down by a bit if your chemicals are coming in under or over.

Yes, our pools are quite similar. You have 2 extra feet of length and probably less bench intrusions since we have big deep end benches. I agree that 30K is the number to start with and see if various and repeated chemical additions bear that out. Plus, 30K is a nice round number and easy to remember. Within a few K, it doesn't really matter on a big pool.

Pool house is looking great! And what a great time to be finishing. It will be nice out before you know it.

I would use 30,000 in PoolMath and see how accurate the effects of adding chemicals is. Then you can adjust it up or down by a bit if your chemicals are coming in under or over.

Thanks!

Looking good so far. Dont forget to keep pooch nails trimmed if they struggle up steps they can gouge the liner

Thanks! I wasn't sure how worried I need to be. My dog will be fine on steps (for now), but I did get his nails trimmed and dremel-tooled yesterday and they're nice and smooth! I was wondering about putting some sort of "runner" on the steps and training himto use it? Has anyone seen that?

Yes, our pools are quite similar. You have 2 extra feet of length and probably less bench intrusions since we have big deep end benches. I agree that 30K is the number to start with and see if various and repeated chemical additions bear that out. Plus, 30K is a nice round number and easy to remember. Within a few K, it doesn't really matter on a big pool.

Pool house is looking great! And what a great time to be finishing. It will be nice out before you know it.

Another thanks! Appreciate the volume thoughts. I'm so glad we're doing the poolhouse now instead of waiting (except, gulp, I haven't seen the first invoice yet...). It's amazing to see it coming together!

QUESTION for my chemistry wizards: do TFP pools need algaecide? It seems like I never see anyone talking about algaecide. I guess I should search. I'm wondering what else I'll need to buy while I'm out at the store(s). My FIL told me to add algaecide now, but he does not use TFP (and I'm all in for TFP).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
do TFP pools need algaecide
During swimming season - no. When you winterize and close next fall, you might opt to use a Polyquat 60, but even then it's not mandatory. Just insurance. Don't fall for the pool store algaecide trick during swimming season. Keep your water's FC & CYA balanced as noted on the chart and you'll do well. :swim:

No reason to use algecide when you maintain a proper CL level for your CYA. Algicide only masks algae problems in pools that don't have proper CL sanitation. Pools with no algae don't need algicide.

Thanks everyone. My PB says she's fine with me taking care of it (not surprising, but I didn't want to get in trouble with my contract). She also said to bring her a sample and she'll test it. I'm sure then she'll give me her pool chemicals. Some are included with the pool.... I'll take her up on the offer and see what she gives me. I'll also do my own tests from the same sample... I'll report back!

Pool builder test results:

FC 0.07
TC 1.69
CC 1.62
pH 8.1
TA 103
CH 85

She gave me 15 lbs calcium hardness and 5 lbs shock (poolife brand, 78 calcium hypochlorite). She said put CH in now and shock in at bedtime.

She also said she didn’t want to add acid yet.

My results:

Chlorine (in little blue box) .5
FC .5
CC .5
TC 1.0
pH 8.2
TA 90
CH 80

Fill water
FC .5
CC .5
TC 1.0
pH 7.8
CH 100
TA 90

Last edited:
The 15lbs of calcium will raise your CH by about 50. The 5 lbs of 73% cal hype will raise your CH another 10 and raise your FC by 14.

Is your pump running?

You do need to add stabilizer/CYA or your FC will not last very long. You should add stabilizer to get your CYA up to 30 now and up to 70 once your SWG begins operation. You need about 120 oz of stabilizer for a CYA of 30.

The 15lbs of calcium will raise your CH by about 50. The 5 lbs of 73% cal hype will raise your CH another 10 and raise your FC by 14.

Is your pump running?

You do need to add stabilizer/CYA or your FC will not last very long. You should add stabilizer to get your CYA up to 30 now and up to 70 once your SWG begins operation. You need about 120 oz of stabilizer for a CYA of 30.

Pump is running, yes. One skimmer was completely full, so I emptied it. The other skimmer wasn't getting anything, I think because of the serious and weird wind we've been having.

OK, so I'll add the calcium, but I need to find some CYA.

VERY Close numbers there! Think you can ask her WHY she does not want you to lower the pH?

How is the color looking? Seeing any dust when you brush?

I don't know why I didn't ask about the pH. My impression was that she thought it would come down on its own?

I haven't brushed yet...it's a vinyl pool, so I hadn't been concerned about it. Also, I can't get very close to the pool easily because of the erosion (there's no concrete yet). I thought brushing was more a plaster thing?

Sorry brain fart............no need for you to brush right away you lucky thing you!!

AND with it being vinyl it is not quite as important but we do want it balanced to keep the liner looking it's best for a L.O.N.G. time!!

Have we talked about storing your muriatic acid?

Sorry brain fart............no need for you to brush right away you lucky thing you!!

AND with it being vinyl it is not quite as important but we do want it balanced to keep the liner looking it's best for a L.O.N.G. time!!

Have we talked about storing your muriatic acid?

Ok so I added the bucket o’calcium (bucket didn’t say what it was exactly. Grr. Assuming 74% calcium chloride?.). I attached my whale wall brush to the pole and see why people love it! I stirred and brushed a bit with it the best I could.

I’ll add the shock a little later tonight. Tomorrow I’ll address the cya and pH. PB said she’d loan me a robot since mine isn’t in yet, and I can’t wait. The nice thing is that I’m getting this stuff for free (well, sort of) right now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.