Bleach prices 2013

Smykowski said:
Nobody's started this thread yet, so I'll kick it off.

In the Chicago area, the Menard's sale started! BOGO 12.5%, so $2.00 per gallon after sales price. Time to go stock up.
Hubby got case (4-gallons) 12.5% for $10 plus tax at American Sale. I thought it was great, same price as last year and he bought 6 cases. I wish I had read this thread first! Menard's deal is even better. :hammer:

I've shopped and shopped around Sunny Blues for my best, lowest price and functionally practical (as I'm often the one doing the lifting) and American Sale has the cheapest price I've found and the gallon jugs work for me. A nearby garden center has the 5 gal at a very similar price but I can't hardly lift the darned things!

Smykowski Im from the SW Burbs near I-355 and I-80. I started a pool service business a few years ago thanks to the immense support and encouragement of my fellow TFPrs. Been treating friends and families pools since 2007, took my business to the general public in 2011 using BBB and the techniques I learned when I joined TFP in May 2007. I wudda torn down my pool that June had I not found TFP when I did!

in Boston area i see 4G of 12.5% liquid for $11.99 plus tax at ocean state lot store. This is the cheapest I've seen around here. I think 50G drum might be a bit cheaper.

since I have a very soft fill water and plenty of rain/backwashing, i can afford using cal-hypo as my primary chlorine source. i got a 100lbs of 68% cal-hypo yesterday for $179.99 plus tax. i couldn't find price close to this anywhere else. i ends up being a bit cheaper than bleach and a lot more convenient. the downside is you need to keep an eye on your calcium levels.

Diver said:
in Boston area i see 4G of 12.5% liquid for $11.99 plus tax at ocean state lot store.
(11.99/4)/(128*0.125)= $0.187/oz NaClO...good price

Diver said:
i got a 100lbs of 68% cal-hypo yesterday for $179.99 plus tax.
wow...to normalize with the above number that is equivalent to [s:5exmjafc]$0.093/oz NaClO[/s:5exmjafc]Edit: see posts below...I used $100 instead of $180...[s:5exmjafc]definitely[/s:5exmjafc] cheaper if you don't have issues with calcium...by the way, are you sure it is 68% (I am not used to that percent...usually at 65% around here).

it's DryTech cal-hypo. says 68% on the packaging, in the tech papers, but the same time it says 65% minimum available chlorine. so it's hard to tell for sure.

but the price is definitely pretty good.

Attachments

• calhypo2.jpg
    calhypo2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 120
  • calhypo1.jpg
    calhypo1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 120
linen said:
wow...to normalize with the above number that is equivalent to $0.093/oz NaClO...definitely cheaper if you don't have issues with calcium...by the way, are you sure it is 68% (I am not used to that percent...usually at 65% around here).

linen, are you sure $0.093 is the right number?

$180 for 100lbs -> 1lb is $1.8 -> 1oz is $0.1125 and that's for 65%.
the equivalent of 100% strength would be $0.173

so it's slightly cheaper. unless i calculated it wrong and got a much bigger bargain :)

Diver said:
linen said:
wow...to normalize with the above number that is equivalent to $0.093/oz NaClO...definitely cheaper if you don't have issues with calcium...by the way, are you sure it is 68% (I am not used to that percent...usually at 65% around here).

linen, are you sure $0.093 is the right number?

$180 for 100lbs -> 1lb is $1.8 -> 1oz is $0.1125 and that's for 65%.
the equivalent of 100% strength would be $0.173

so it's slightly cheaper. unless i calculated it wrong and got a much bigger bargain :)
:hammer: your right I read $100 for 100 lbs...oops. So I get $0.175/oz NaClO equivalent (assuming 65%)...still a good price, but now much closer to the LC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sams Club in St. Louis has the 3 pack of 8.25 Clorox in 121oz bottles for $8.10.

If my math is right (8.10/3)/(121*.0825) = $.0263 or not great but not the worst. I just bought 10 boxes though which will last me a good 2 months. I guess that will give me some time to look around. They are building a new Menards across the street so maybe that'll be open by time I need to reup for the second half of the summer.

I hadn't thought about getting a 5gal bottle and having it refilled. I had but thought it'd be a pain to work with and store. I have a Liquidator on the way so maybe I will reevaluate that.

Yeah, see math was never my strong suit. Or just typing what I'm looking at!

Indeed, no 0 in there. Still, I show it as .262518, which I guess since it's money you should always round up since no one takes fractions of pennies. :-D

nthole said:
Yeah, see math was never my strong suit. Or just typing what I'm looking at!

Indeed, no 0 in there. Still, I show it as .262518, which I guess since it's money you should always round up since no one takes fractions of pennies. :-D
I still get 0.270473 (and math is supposed to be my strong suit :oops: ), but we are close :) (however if you use 0.085 instead of 0.0825 then you get .262518)

nthole said:
HA, you're right. I had typed 8.5% in to Excel. I think I'm going call Clorox and see if they can't squeeze in another quarter percent so I can be right!
I would be fine with being wrong (I am used to it already...just search some of my posts) if you can get that 0.25% increase without a price increase :-D

My FLPS (Pelican in Whitehouse NJ) is up to $10 per 2.5 gal carboy of Buckman Labs 12.5% from $9 last year. I make that an even 25¢/oz. of NaClO. It's still better than bleach around here,which is about 28¢, especially since I hate all those bottles. 3 carboys is equal to a little less than a dozen bottles of 121 oz. 8¼% or 4 boxes of three.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.