Bad install? Glass tile and coping

To go along with the chipped glass tile, the sub contractors just installed broken coping around the spa. Something to complain about? All these issues along the way make me feel picky but this is a brand new pool and spa, how is any of this acceptable!

To me the coping looks like they were trying to stay with pattern lines. but did a messy job with it. and bad planning

Just a word of caution............... I think the cure will be worse than the disease. I'm pretty picky and I don't like the way it turned out but I would leave it alone. What happens when he re-does it and it looks even worse (tile is little better, no longer level, grout doesn't match properly, etc, etc.

Overal it's honestly not terrible. It's just that one corner where they meet that's super amateur.

He definitely needs to put tile on those wide Grout areas too.

oh and thanks for all the feedback, this website is awesome!

Attachments

• 00AE2953-5069-425E-9828-7CAAF5144F58.jpeg
    00AE2953-5069-425E-9828-7CAAF5144F58.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 112
We finally got the PBer to start cutting the tiles with a wet saw and they are looking 10x better!

the left tile is newly cut and the right is literally one that I made them take out.

I think tomorrow I’m going to keep his crew here all day to make them re cut and shift some tile to our liking.

Attachments

• BEC363FB-5573-4537-8AB4-42793E076DD6.jpeg
    BEC363FB-5573-4537-8AB4-42793E076DD6.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Some of the popular latch and hinge products are:
  • Magna-Latch has child resistant latches with and without alarms.
  • LokkLatch® MAGNETIC latch works on solid fences.
  • TruClose® Safety Gate Hinges can be used to meet automatic closing requirements.
Let us know what you get and how it works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper1550

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have zero input on the gate thing, but my god that is some of the sloppiest tile work I've ever seen. When we lived in CT and had a reno done to our house, the tile on the spa tub was chipped too. I, quite frankly, told the GC if he expected a final payment from me he'd better get the tile ripped up and replaced. He went out and hired a completely different crew, one that I told him I wanted to do the job, and it was heads and shoulders above the garbage his prior sub had put in.

Some just don't take pride in their work these days which is a shame but everyone, it seems, is out to make a buck at the quickest/cheapest way they can. Glad your PB manned up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper1550
Having a hard time getting the PB out to continue working on the spa. He’s now saying the coping on It needs fixed before he can do anything else. He can obviously fix the tile right now and he has previously done some work on it.

The spa has takin over a month now and they have only been here twice in 2 weeks for a combined 2 hrs.

I guess this is what happens when you tell them they are doing bad work.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
I think, in general, you are the customer... and I keep quoting this in a lot of posts (and to my friends looking to build)...YOU have to look at this thing everyday and you're (presumably) spending a lot of money. Get it done right and it may cost you some weeks, but it's YEARS of regret that you'll have to work thru otherwise. The PB is being difficult, but remember that he/she will need to get more work and feedback is paramount in this industry. On a personal note, I had a friend looking to use my PB for a new build....I politely asked him to sign the contract on condition that the PB repair some items on my project(minor things that they were lagging on). And wouldn't you know it, my stuff was finished instantly.

Reactions: Oly and Viper1550
I can’t handle this anymore. They used the rounded corners from the newly ordered pavers knowing that they were installing it in a flat area!
Now each corner has a big divot that’s sure to hold a nice puddle of water.

it actually looked better before with the cracks!

how do I fire my poolbuilder?!?!

Attachments

• 1C623696-473C-4144-A87D-131F00496E6F.jpeg
    1C623696-473C-4144-A87D-131F00496E6F.jpeg
    674.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Angry
Reactions: kimkats
He just showed up at the wrong time!

I told him to send his sub contractor out right now to re do it and we got into a pretty big argument about how he’s supposed to be on our team and fight for us instead of me having to fight with him and the sub contractor.

Reactions: mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.