Backwash Valve "Exploded...?" Follow up

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
It's been more than 60 days since I last responded to my original post, so in accordance with Forum rules I am starting a new follow up thread. Here's the original post:

Essentially, my plumbing blew out around the backwash valve. Many users suggested that the SWG had a gas build up and it appears that they were correct. I had a pool guy come over and his first thought was just that.

I have 8 days left on the Pentair warranty, it's an IC40, but because this is considered an "install" issue they won't cover it. It definitely wasn't an install issue, as it ran for over a year and a half perfectly fine. The more I think back on the situation the more I believe this is the "fault" of the construction company that was doing our kitchen remodel. My only theory is that with all of the flipping of electrical breakers that they were doing it caused the timers of the pump and the SWG to no longer match up.

So, I want to keep using an SWG, but this is now my 2nd IC40. The first was an install issue; thankfully I hadn't paid that pool installer for it and didn't pay them after their bad work. Now this second failure is also not Pentair's fault, but I'm afraid to go for a third one...

Is there a better SWG that I should be looking for? Would another brand be compatible with the hookups already in place? If not, then I feel as though I am stuck with Pentair.

Patrick

Reactions: fatboy1271
It does not look like you have an automation system.

Get another IC40 or get a Circupool RJ45+. The folks below offer a $1 upgrade from the RJ30 to the next level RJ45+.

Hey Allen,

Will an automation system tie my pump and SWG timers together, into one system? That's something I'd love to have.

Sorry if this is a stupid... My pool is roughly 17,000 gallons and the RJ45+ is rated up to 45,000 gallons. I just want to make sure that the R45+ would still be efficient for a pool at half its rating?

Thanks,
Patrick

Will an automation system tie my pump and SWG timers together, into one system? That's something I'd love to have.

Yes, if the automation, pump, SWG are all from the same manufacturer and compatible. Takes some planning.

Sorry if this is a stupid... My pool is roughly 17,000 gallons and the RJ45+ is rated up to 45,000 gallons. I just want to make sure that the R45+ would still be efficient for a pool at half its rating?

We recommend the SWG be AT LEAST 2X the pool volume. Which the RJ45+ is.

I am just saying the device has protection to prevent it from running if the pump is off. I have never run into this circumstance myself and have no idea what is going on with your pool. I just do not think your remodelers are to blame.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.