Anyone ever seen this? Odd light behavior.

Floaty027

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hello,
I've attached a video, but if it doesn't work I will try to explain best I can.

I have noticed bubbles coming from my light housing ever once in awhile. Mainly when the kids play around it and force water near the house and a few bubbles come up. But like all the time, so where is there air coming from.

The other night, when I was about to turn the light off, I noticed what is in the video. Little "puffs" coming from one of the holes of the light housing... WTF?
What is that? What is causing a pressure to "puff" out like that?
Only thing I can think is that the heat from the light warms the water within the light cavity and forces it out in way. Maybe that would explain bubbles as well?
Perhaps a leak within the light housing or something, but would that just leak water? Where is the air coming from?

Thanks in advance.
Jake

There is air in the light fixture around the bulb. When the light is on, the heat pressurizes the air.

You should probably replace it gasket.

Leave the light off until it is fixed.

Can you see any water inside? How old is the light fixture? Check the cord going into the back of the fixture, if it's discolored it might be time to replace as the leak can also occur there.

Last edited:
Guiness,
Thanks for the reply. No I cannot see water in the light. A pool guy showed me what to look for and he doesn't think there is water in there either. Like fixture is as old as the pool, 30 plus years maybe. I have only been here 4.
As in replace the whole light assembly?
I have never replaced a light but James' video makes sense. Although I am nervous about stripping screws or seized. I tried removing the bottom drain earlier this year with no luck turning the screws.

Lights aren't completely necessary and I am due for a replastering. Maybe if I do that I will replace all lights, everything.
I am just so curious in that video how there seems to be "puffs" of water.

If you're planning to replaster I would recommend replacing the fixture based on it's age and probably even the niche depending on condition. In the meantime just replace the gasket as James suggested and make a note of the bulb wattage so you know what you'll need to replace it with when the time comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.