Ahh-Some in Washing Machine

Yes! I was thinking the same thing! I don't think I can ever go back to a common laundry facility.

I can't imagine sharing a washing machine (much less a house) with six other beings. In our area, there is a real-estate/contractor event called Homearama, where different local builders create clusters of houses with all the bells and whistles. The last time I went, most of the house had 2-3 laundry rooms, one for every area of the house.

Now, I just need to figure out a shortcut for getting laundry folded...
My machine is a Maytag Commercial variety (circa 2013) top loader. I hate front loaders as they are too small and they don’t clean well. I have 6 people plus a dog and probably do 12 loads of laundry or more per week so I need the biggest washing machine possible and the top loader is the only option for that. My dream is to retro fit our washroom to accommodate two washers and two dryers … I miss the days of living in the large apartment complex with a laundry room that had 20 machines in it. But I don’t miss the thought of washing my clothes in the same machines as hundreds of other gross sweaty human beings 🤢

I'm only called to touch our washer when it breaks down from the guts and feathers end, so feeling dumb because I thought a washing machine, well, washed and cleaned :(

The problem is the sump area where the waste/discharge pump is. There’s always going to be a cup or two of water left in the sump. So the interior basket/tub region is always humid and, if there’s any leftover soap scum on the wall of the basket (the part you can’t see or clean between the basket and the tub), then bacteria and mold have the perfect breading ground. Washing only adds more soap scum buildup to the mix along with hair, skin, etc. All of that is food for the nasties to consume and any bleaching simply kills the stuff on the surface but can not penetrate any of the biofilms that build up.

I always leave my washer lid up when not in use so that all the water evaporates out of the machine. It’s dry enough here so that strategy works pretty well. But you’ll always get soap film buildup no matter what so deep cleaning the tub with Ahhsome is the way to go.

Reactions: proavia
JoyfulNoise, thanks! I've never thought much about it, but makes perfect sense that scum builds down in those nether regions. I have fished partially dissolved detergent pods from things in my repairs, so makes sense lots of other things don't fully dissolve or oxidize and just stay trapped. Had a drum clutch go out and replaced just yesterday, but now, thanks to this thread, I'm gonna earn me some added washing machine cred with Mamma after I make the inside sparkle and smell new!

Reactions: Newdude
I have been looking for something that can clean the washing machine for a year now. I’ve tried everything. I run white vinegar instead of fabric softener because it makes my cloths even softer then fabric softener, and it helps but it’s still not clean enough. Is this stuff ok to use if you have a septic system?

After reading here and fighting a stinky LG front loader for years, happy to say the ahhsome washing machine formulation works well. When they say that the machine may smell worse after the cleaning cycle temporarily - that was no joke.

But now - best it’s been since brand new. Really happy to have read about it here.

Reactions: mknauss
After reading here and fighting a stinky LG front loader for years, happy to say the ahhsome washing machine formulation works well. When they say that the machine may smell worse after the cleaning cycle temporarily - that was no joke.

But now - best it’s been since brand new. Really happy to have read about it here.

The original front loaders were the WORST for washing machine stink. They did not design the door gaskets properly and they would get water in them that would not drain off. After a while the stagnant water would grow mold and fungus but you couldn’t see it unless you removed the gasket. When you did there were often thick layers of biofilm slime and black mold all over the interior surface of the gaskets. It was enough to make you 🤮🤮 on sight (and smell). The problem was compounded by people leaving the doors closed because that’s what you always do with a clothes washer, you close the lid when not in use. So any water in the sump would stay there and grow mold as well. The interior tub would stay humid and get coated with mold and fungus. Most manufacturers figured out the fixes pretty quickly but the front loaders are still way more susceptible to mold growth than top loaders.

I’m a big and tall guy with a big family, so top loaders are the only machine I can realistically use and it’s easy for me to reach all the way into the bottom. But even when the kids fly the nest … or is that flee the nest 🤔 … I think I’ll stay with top loaders. That is, unless I realize my retirement dream of living in a high-rise luxury apartment where property maintenance is someone else’s problem and there’s a 24 hour dry cleaning service (and all you can eat Chinese food buffet) in the lobby of the building …. a man can dream …

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an LG top loader. It has a oxy clean cycle setting so I bought the oxy clean washer cleaner and ran that cycle and it killed any odors. Probably should be done every 3 Months or so. Also I found the more white loads you do with bleach lessens rhe frequency of the cleaning cycles.

Reactions: Stump
I highly recommend this stuff.
So I'm here to report I used the hot tub jet cleaner in my front loader and that stuff works fantastic although I ran it several cycles because this has been going on for years till I figured out what the heck it was. I had this bio garbage mainly in the folds/forms of the gasket which caused streaks on clothing at times resembling grease. While it did come off the clothing easily with water it was a royal pain and always reared its ugly face at the worst time.

• Love
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I hope I don`t jinx myself! Our Kenmore Elite front loader and dryer set have been no problem at all for over 12 years and no stinking smell. I do the clean cycle monthly and we wipe inside of door and lower rubber tub door seal every time we are done washing. If I get some Ahh!some where will I be grossed out? Will I need to take something apart?

My front loader never smelled cuz I keep the door open all the time but the bio gunk, that was my issue. Now after there is a residual smell eventhough I used the machine for laundry but maybe it woke up some stuff so I'll let slide for a bit to see if it changes.

When I stuck my finger in the return of my tub and felt a thick layer of who knows what I was shocked. You would think a tub and washing machine would stay clean considering it’s using water and detergent :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.