Aeration timing when lowering TA

Copernicu

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi. As I understand it, the process of lowering TA involves lowering pH with chemicals and raising pH through aeration. I use 14.5% muriatic acid to lower pH, and I turn my strongest jet so it points upward to aerate.

My question is this: when should I turn the jet up? When I add in the acid or later? If later, how much later?

Thank you.

C,

When I reduce my TA it takes me about two full days.. I start my aeration after the first dose of acid and I don't shut if off until I am done..

Keep in mind that lowering TA is an on going process.. I add acid about every three or four hours, over and over until the TA is a little lower than I want.. I usually start in the morning and do it all day the first day until bedtime.. and then I pick it up the next day and do it again all day.

For reference my aeration is a waterfall, so I suspect that provides more aeration than a pool return.

At first the TA will barely move down.. but over time the amount of TA decrease will increase with each acid dose..

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

When I reduce my TA it takes me about two full days.. I start my aeration after the first dose of acid and I don't shut if off until I am done..

Keep in mind that lowering TA is an on going process.. I add acid about every three or four hours, over and over until the TA is a little lower than I want.. I usually start in the morning and do it all day the first day until bedtime.. and then I pick it up the next day and do it again all day.

For reference my aeration is a waterfall, so I suspect that provides more aeration than a pool return.

At first the TA will barely move down.. but over time the amount of TA decrease will increase with each acid dose..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Is a waterfall or an actual aerator sprinkler better? We have both.

Can you actually get the pH up past 7.5 with aeration? I thought that or 7.6 was the max it would go based on the normal atmospheric co2 ratios, and so it would take days to get from 7.4 to 7.6...

7.0 to 7.2 takes me an hour or two, 7.2 to 7.4 took me more than 6...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.