Actuator valve problems

skendrick

Apr 23, 2021
Florida
Moved from here... Pentair/Compool CVA-24T actuator valve problems

having a similar issue... actuator doesn't move - doesn't matter what I turn the switch to, or if I short the limit switches inside. Also tried replacing limit switches since they were so cheap, no luck. The weird thing is... it wasn't working, I took it apart, including the valve to make sure nothing wrong with the valve, then put it back together, and all of a sudden it started working. (this was before changing switches). Then replaced the gaskets on the valve because it was leaking, then stopped working again and it's stuck in the closed mode, no movement at all no matter what I do (other than taking off actuator and moving manually). I will double check voltage coming in, but I don't think that's the issue. Any way to confirm the motor is dead? OR if I take it apart might there be something obvious like busted teeth on the cogs? Just want to triple make sure before I drop what seems now to be $160 for a new actuator, as I was convinced it was just going to be switches. It's probably 6 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to the forum.

In the article are some links to threads on rebuilding the actuators.
Thanks for the reply --- I thought I posted this in a response to a similar thread but for some reason it's a new thread. I'm having troubles actually getting 24v reading. Are there suggestions (steps) for how best to do this? I tried my multi meter on the red and black coming in, but not sure I'm making contact, not sure I have the solar controller set right. The fuse in the controller seems fine.

I'm having troubles actually getting 24v reading.
The actuator will only see the 24v when instructed to actuate by the controller.

Can you fill out your signature so we know what equipment you have? Really helps us help you.

Your post was split off of the original thread as your question was hijacking that thread.

Matt, @JoyfulNoise, did some bench testing on a Pentair actuator. He may be able to assist. See if the thread below helps.

Reactions: skendrick
Take apart the actuator and test the capacitor to make sure it is still good. Also, you may need to fully disassemble the actuator and get inside the gear box. It’s not complicated and the gears only fit together one way so there’s really no danger in taking it apart. There are two rubber o-rings on the shaft and one of them is inside the gear box to act as a moisture and dust seal. I found that the lower one inside the gear box had broken apart with age and the chunks of rubber were jamming up my gears.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.