Pentair Valve Actuator Programing Problems

Joseph1

May 5, 2023
Oregon
Hello

I have a Pentair easy touch 4 pool panel and a Pentair valve actuator installed on a 3 way valve. The 3 pin socket from the actuator is installed on Port B on the valve actuator panel board. I assigned a circuit name, which is waterfall. I assigned a circuit function and am using AUX 3. I assigned a pump speed. I assigned a run schedule.

When I press AUX 3 nothing happens. I can manually toggle the actuator between ON1-off-ON2 and the valve operates. I just can’t get it to operate from the easy touch panel.

I ran the self diagnosis setting. When the self test got to Port B on the actuator, it read - Fail-Code 4? At that time the actuator toggle switch was in the off position, if that matters?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP.

You need to have the actuator toggle switch in ON1 or On2 for it to work. It cannot be OFF.

What model EasyTouch system do you have?

Post a pic showing the front panel with the buttons.

Joe,

The three pin valve output is connected to a small relay on the main card. When the relay is not energized it sends voltage to one of the pins and when the relay is energized, it sends voltage to another pin.

So, it could be the relay itself is bad, or it could be the chip that tells the relay to energize is bad, or it could be you actuator is bad.

I suggest that you move the actuator connecter over to a valve output that is working and see if the actuator actually works. Flipping the switch does not prove that the cable is good, only the actuator end is most likely ok.

Did you try the A valve??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello

I had the valve toggle switch turned to the On1 position and also the ON2 position with AUX 3 on, not working

This is the only valve actuator I have.

I tried in port A, with no luck.

I can post pics when I get home.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the responses. Here is a picture out of the manual that corresponds with the valve actuators I have. Also a picture of the error code from last night. I will get more pics when I get home later today. I feel like it’s an error on my end when I was programming the valve. I’m not really familiar with pool panels. I was able to set up the pool pump, pool light and light for the pentair magic bowl. Just having issues turning the valve on to run the water into the magic bowl.

Thanks!
IMG_2475.jpegIMG_2465.jpeg

Joe,

There is no programming involved with actuators..

Either the actuator and cable is bad, or your EasyTouch is bad.

Do you have a voltmeter?

I assume that you are running the EasyTouch in the AUTO Mode, not in the Service Mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry, I was referring to how I programmed the pool panel to actuate the valve. Yes, I do have a volt meter. I had 24 volts between the left pin to the center pin. Right pin to center, or right pin to left pin, zero volts. I think it’s a set up issue on the pool panel. Just not sure where, I feel like I did a pretty good job following the instructions. Also watched a few YouTube videos. Pretty confident the issue is with the pool panel not sending a 24 volt signal to the valve when prompted to. I also called Pentair to help troubleshoot, the rep was reading off the manual step by step which is how I set it up. Easy Touch was in auto mode. Thanks for all your time!

Thanks!

Here is my set up for you to double check..

I use a Feature Circuit for my waterfall, but you would do the same with Aux3. It should have a Circuit function of Generic.

if you named Aux 3 "waterfall" then the following page links waterfall to Valve B.

Pump speed does not make any difference from the valve movement point of view.

Let me see what you got..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Joseph1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is my set up for you to double check..

I use a Feature Circuit for my waterfall, but you would do the same with Aux3. It should have a Circuit function of Generic.

if you named Aux 3 "waterfall" then the following page links waterfall to Valve B.

Pump speed does not make any difference from the valve movement point of view.

Let me see what you got..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim

I am going to set mine up as you did when I get home. I’ll keep everyone posted!

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Joe,

For the valve to turn you only have to do two things (Which it appears you have done).. Assign valve B to a Circuit and turn the Circuit on.

Does the pump increase in speed to 2000?

Like I said in my initial post, either the actuator is bad or the three pin output of the EasyTouch is bad.

If the EasyTouch is working, then when the valve is 'off' you should get 24 VAC between the middle pin and the Left pin and when 'on' then you should get 24 VAC between the right pin and the center pin. If that works the actuator has to be bad.

I think the fact that the EasyTouch fails its self-test means the ET is bad. The first thing to do would be to swap the two chips that are in sockets. They are the relay drivers. They are identical chips and contain no memory so swapping them is no problem. Swap them and run the self-test again. If the original failure goes away and new one shows up, that is a pretty good indication that one of the chips is bad.

The two chips are on the same side of the board that the LCD is on...

Let's see what Tom has to say... Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

Yes I do have 24 volts between center pin and left pin, when the valve is toggled off. zero volts from right pin to center pin when trying to actuate the valve from the east touch panel.

I’ll have time on Sunday to folllow your directions on the swap out and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all the help!

You have a Feature circuit and an AUX circuit.

These are different things.

An AUX circuit uses a relay.

A Feature circuit does not use a relay.

Does the waterfall need a relay?

No the waterfall doesn’t need a relay. All I am trying to do is switch the valve back and forth between the return pipe and the water supply pipe for the waterfall. When I hit aux 3 I hear the contractor pull in, which the valve is not wired to., it’s wired to valve port B. That makes sense what you are saying., but still not sure what I need to do.

what button would I manually press to actuate the valve manually from my easy touch panel?

Thanks for your response!

Feature Circuits Menu
There are eight (8) “Feature Circuits” that can be used to control IntelliFlo pump speeds or valves actuators
for a spa spillway. Unlike an auxiliary relay circuit, a “Feature” circuit does not connect directly to a relay.
“Feature” are turned on and off from the control panel “Feature” circuit menu.
Feature Circuits
To switch a feature circuit ON or OFF:
Right button: Select the feature circuit to turn ON or OFF..
Up/Down buttons: Choose assigned feature circuit: FEATURE 1 - 8.
Right button: Switch the selected feature circuits ON or OFF.

When finished, press the Menu button twice to return to the main screen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.