A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Denise, we have seen all 4 PBs now. We are just waiting to hear back from the others with their designs. Should I not have a favorite from just talking to them? I already do but am keeping an open mind about it all. I had a PB I really wanted to use when I started all of this and then found out he no longer did work in my area. So I am trying to be open minded.

Hopefully I'll have more designs soon. Waiting is so hard to do!

Yes-the waiting is the worst! It's gonna take a week (feel like it) for tomorrow afternoon to get here to see our updated design!

I'm so glad you got so many to come out. PB #2 has STILL not been interested enough to contact us with a price on the drawing they spent time to do.

Marla, my favorite PB was always the one I was talking to....!! But it did get easier as bids and designs came in. Once I had met the other PB's, the first one was knocked out of the running.

You don't have to choose a PB based solely on design. I more or less took ideas from several of the designs but also relied a lot on design ideas from Pinterest, TFP, etc. I did not go with any PB's original design. They all needed some tweaking to get what I wanted. I guess I'd have to say a different PB had more 'innovative' ideas, but the designer wasn't so willing to make changes to her design - or maybe she just didn't get what I was wanting. I'm glad I didn't go with the 'best' design in the early stages.

The bobcat here pulled up two trees - well, they wanted the trees taken down to about a four foot stump, then the bobcat has an easier time of digging it up. A bobcat might work for your plant unless the height makes it too cumbersome for the bobcatter. Would it be possible to do a careful dig around and under (as much as possible) the plant while still keeping it propped up? Then the bobcat could just 'swoop' in and scoop it up. I'm wondering if that might be a little gentler on the root system? Of course, timing is everything. I would want to do the dig-around, scooping up/moving, and replanting done all in one day.

We had our huge lemon tree moved, but the landscaping guys hand dug it. The tree wasn't in the way or too close to the pool build, so it could remain in place until the landscapers had the hole to move it to after the yard was graded. I was disappointed in the way the crew dug up the tree. It was done in one of those moments when I was not looking. They never tell you when they plan to do things - they just do it! (at least that was my experience) I would have asked them to dig out a much larger root ball and use a wheel barrow to set the root ball in. The tree was way too large for the wheel barrow, but it would have been used just as a way to be more careful of the roots. Other men would have had to walk with it holding up the branches, etc.

Now for my tip for success of a transplant. So far as I know, no one has ever taken me seriously, but I found this online several years ago when I had to have a favorite bush moved in July about 4 years ago - the same month as the lemon tree. Mix an aspirin tablet or two in a gallon of water and dissolve. The plain aspirin without coatings works best. As soon as possible after the plant is moved and packed into the ground, sprinkle the aspirin water all over the plant (leaves and all) and saturate the ground. For our tree, I think we did about 4-5 gallons worth. You just want to wet all of the plant and wet the ground around it. Then repeat in 14 days. The poor lemon tree looked pitiful for a couple of months. It lost quite a few leaves but not all. And now three months later, I am pretty sure it is going to make it. You probably already know, but you may want to trim it back somewhat after planting. I would check online for your plant about the best way to transplant. I couldn't find anything on the lemon tree, so we just did what we do with most plants - trimmed some before for the ease of the crew and then trimmed a little more after the planting.

There's something about the aspirin water. I've used it several times in dire circumstances, and it has always worked. My goal is to eventually use it regularly on all our plants. It works systemically and boosts the plants immune system. In turn that makes the plant more resistant to disease, insects, shock, etc. I just remembered that I did use the aspirin water one season on our driveway roses with fabulous results. I just haven't kept up with it.

I know it sounds wacky, but it is easy to do. I don't think you have anything to lose trying it. Check it out on Google.

Tell those PB's that your friends on TFP MUST see some designs!!!!!! Lol!!!

Take care,
Suz.

Suz I had forgotten about aspirin water! That is what they tell you to do for cut flowers and your cut Christmas tree! I bet it does work wonders on a live plant! I will have to try it on my knockout roses.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suz as always you are a wealth of information! I had forgotten about the aspirin water. I definitely will do it. I will also keep in mind what you said about my philodendron - I think it CAN be saved with a bit of care.

I think I may be getting another design this week. Perhaps I can talk my husband into putting PB1's design into SketchUp so I can post it. The design I might get this week will be from PB4.

Last edited:
Marla, we went with our gut picking a builder. We interviewed 5 and at the time, their prices SEEMED different, but now that I know more about everything related to pools, I suspect their estimates were fairly close.

Update- we met with PB 4 last night. I do not have any pics yet as they are doing a bit of revision and will be sending specs. Their design was a raised pool. At first I wasn't sure I liked the idea, but the more we talked about it, the more I liked it. There would be an 18" wall going all around the pool. To enter the pool you would sit on the ledge (which also acts as a bench) and swing your legs over. There would still be steps and a baja shelf.

Advantages are:
-small lot so less of a risk of someone accidentally falling in when lots of people are over
-less debris blowing into the pool
-keeps toddlers out of pool (of course they still have to be watched!)
-easier to get into pool for us "older" people!

Disadvantages:
- have to swing legs over to enter
- harder to get out of? This I don't know.
- no direct access to pool

An example of a raised pool.

ohhhhh I like that! VERY interesting! what fun we could have designing that............Hummmmmm a pretty handrail to help with in and out? Step by the higher wall to hold on to?

It sure would make yard work (mowing) much easier!

Kim

I believe the Baja shelf would be 9" deep so I think that is the way to exit the pool. Of course if that's the concept we adopt we would also put some benches in the deep end which would also help.

So what do y'all think of this raised pool concept?

I like the concept, but I think you should carefully consider how high to elevate. Just measured our family room seating and 18-inches seems reasonable... Our outdoors retaining wall that we all sit on is 30" and very comfortable, too.

For the step depths, are you measuring from the step to the top of the coping? 2" coping, 3" to midpoint of 6" skimmers, then down to shelf elevation. A typical step indoors is 7".

Here is one with raised walls at different elevations all around the pool. Maybe you will get some ideas from this.

Legend Pools Cross Creek Ranch/Heron Lakes~(K) - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

p_PappasPool-1.jpg

Another one with side walls at different elevations

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.