A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Marla, I love the design! And I think the builder had some great reasons to raise the pool - very creative!!! I love it when I hear ideas I never considered.

Here are a few of my thoughts.... When I first saw your design and post earlier today, I had the same thoughts as Mamiamjo. I think on the side that faces the house, I would prefer a 12" raised wall. That still gives you some visibility from the house, whereas with 18", you would be staring at mostly wall. Originally, I wanted our spa raised 18" for me to make it easier to get in and out of. The designer talked me out of it for that reason - 18" makes it very imposing especially in a smaller space and close to the house (like mine is). On the back side of our spa, the raised part is 18" for the sheer descent into the spa. When the spa design was done, I was happy having the two different heights. I knew the 18" section would be my way to get in and out. I also wasn't sure about swinging my legs around with my hip, leg, and back pain. I've been surprised that the 12" wall is the section I always use to get in and out of the spa. It might be a matter of the bench depths. And getting in and out swinging my legs around is very easy for me which I rarely say about anything these days.

I'll try to get you some measurements of the bench and water depths from the spa coping which might help you figure out how it would work best for you. Also, you and hubby are more than welcome to come out and 'test drive' getting in and out of our spa since it has the two different heights - see if you have a preference. So far with the water temps, it only takes about 20 minutes to heat up the spa, so you won't freeze. If you're shy, I can stay inside while you guys enjoy the spa and look things over. Enjoy some snacks and hot or cold beverages, too! I tried measuring chairs in the house, but for me, that didn't give me the real life experience. Like I said, I thought I'd like the 18" height when the 12" turned out to work better for me.

I'm posting a picture of our spa so you don't have to try to find it again. Most of the prettier (and filled) pictures I have don't show the decking to the left of the spa like this one does. I wanted you to have a good view of the 12 and 18" heights of the spa in relation to the deck. Actually, our spa is raised only 12" but with an 18" raised section on the backside. Your pool will be larger than our spa, but I think if we had gone with an 18" raised spa in our backyard space, it would have ended up looking like a water well.

I also think using two different heights around your pool might give it a little more interest. This is so exciting - getting to see some of the PB's ideas!!!! I can't wait for more news and pictures!!!

Oh, and even with the lower 12" part of the spa sides, we get very little yard stuff blown into the spa. Maybe one or two leaves a week. The pool area gets much more, so raising it really does make a difference.

So happy for you!!!!!
Suz.

Thanks Suz! Those are great things to think about!

We met with PB 3 last night. Here is what he came up with.

We are making a few adjustments - back wall a bit taller and enlarging the fire pit back towards the deck.

Thoughts?

Sorry I should have cropped the pictures. He gave us stills of his design and I then took pics so I could post.

Oh one thing I did forget to mention is that PB 3 has built 2 pools for a certain Houston gunite company.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Helen! We really liked it too. He hand draws it or at least sketches it and then scans it into Pool Studio instead of designing from Pool Studio.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I love this design also! WOW! This is going to be a tough one to pick!

Suz your insight and just the right picture are SO spot on! What a wonderful resource you are. I think it would be a great idea for Marla to go see what it would really be like to get into and out of a raised pool using your spa for a test drive.

Marla will you PLEASE go to her house for me???? Wrap her up in a great big HUG! LOL

Kim (my pool money may take a hit next summer so I can fly out to meet Suz in person!)

Beautiful design!!! This just proves that Great Things come in small packages!!

I love the water wall and the corners on either side. The PB really packed in a lot of goodies. I like the design of the in-pool benches and steps - great seating spots while keeping cool.

What are your thoughts about this design?

Suz.

Thanks Kim! I really like the simplicity of this pool. It's only about 18x16-6! though. What do you think about the water effect? The spouts instead of the sheer descent? I think the spouts are quieter? I didn't ask about the material for them. I know I don't want to put any metals into my pool! Thanks TFP!!!

Also, he had included a Rainbow Chlorinator, which I know I don't want (thanks again to this forum!) but since we are going with a SWG, should I just keep it to use for the first 30 days? Or would bleach be just as easy?

When I get the revised design from PB 4, the raised pool, I will post. Then y'all can vote! LOL! I'm like Suz, in that I have a hard time making decisions!

Marla there is a pool where they had a water feature.............it was several holes in a pipe kind of feature. It was too loud to them. The PB went back and cut the holes into one long line so it was a water sheer and THAT made the noise much quieter and softer. They love it now.

So three water points might be too loud for your area. I don't know for sure. Is there any way you could ask him if he has a pool with a sheer and a pool with 3 or 2 outlets so you can go listen to them?

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I forgot to comment about the PB building the 2 pools for the gunite company. Were these for the owners of the company or for sample pools? It seems like either way that says a lot for this PB that the gunite company would choose him to build their pools. They must have a good relationship and mutual respect. Those would be pools you might want to ask to see for samples of his work.

For the size: In my foggy memory, didn't you mention going for closer to 20X20? You guys are the only ones who know what you want most for size. I know you know this from all your TFP research, but you have to weigh how much deck space you need versus water area. It's always hard for me to 'feel' space from the design drawings. In the third picture down, it looks like you have just enough deck space for the furniture - it seems to be a good fit and use of space. In the first photo of the overhead view, it looks like you have more wiggle room to stretch the pool a foot or two closer to the house. That might mean keeping the fire pit the same size rather than enlarging it. But what do you want more of - fire or water? Lol!!! I'm such a water girl, I gotta have every extra inch of water I can get!!! It also looks like you might be able to stretch the pool closer to the garage (I think that's the garage). There's not much use for that space except as a pathway. I would want it only wide enough to get a mower or wheel barrow through there.

On the other hand, if ya'll entertain then you have to consider how much deck real estate you need. I could have managed with much less deck than I have (I'm the opposite of most people) and squeezed out more pool size.

The Rainbow Chlorinator: My PB also added that in, and we kept it since we didn't have a good handle on the pros and cons. The first 30 days, I was still adding gallons of bleach every day along with the chlorinator. My pool just couldn't get enough of that bleach in the hot August sun. Building in the cooler months may not be such an issue for you. And I'm guessing pool size makes a difference. If I were to build another pool, I would go without the chlorinator. Even if we should decide to switch to a non SWG system (can't imagine doing that), I'd still rather go with the chlorine pump rather than the Rainbow puck system.

I'd say, Marla, you are off to a fantastic start on your PB hunt!!! I can't wait to see the revised pics of the raised design. I'm glad you realize I'm NOT your go-to person for making this huge decision!!!!! It's going to be a toughie (but still exciting and fun, right?!)

Suz.

Suz, I know they built 1 pool for the son of the owner of the gunite company. I don't remember who he said the other was built for, but I will ask. In any case, I bet they have a great Pebble product on their pools! Great idea about asking to see those pools as samples.

We might be able to get another foot out of the pool in both directions. I do want a lot of landscaping on the fence side (I think he allowed 5') opposite the garage because they are building a ginormous house and need the screening. We might be able to cut back on that some. We do some entertaining, but would also like to get as big a pool as possible but still have nice deck space. I think the path by the garage is 3', coping is 1' and he allowed about a foot for planting small grasses or liriope type plants next to the garage to soften the space. We might be able to make that smaller.

Thanks for your input on the inline Chlorinator. I think I'll just have him take it off. I wasn't sure if it was useful for those first 30 days.

Yes, this is pretty exciting, but soooooo much easier when it's someone else's pool! Will post more pics when I get the revision.

Here's a photo of some water spouts. This was my first inspiration photo - I love the spouts! I think these would be perfect for your pool. MasterTile and Noble Tile (along with other tile sources) have some gorgeous spout facings. I liked these the best. I can't say about the noise level. I've seen pictures of the larger square and metal type spouts. Surely the little guys in the photo wouldn't be as loud. It also makes a difference how long of a drop the water has to fall.

I do know that many of the water features are so very loud. I didn't quite think they would be as noisy as everyone says (duh.....), but they are. I turn ours on for view when we're in the house, when I'm outside by myself or for brief periods to show with friends. Would I get them again? Absolutely!!! I do love them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.