A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Get it in writing. I was told I would have that certain gunite company. I didn't give it a second thought. The morning the trucks rolled up at 6am, they were from the 'third choice' company. And those guys get started quickly. By the time I had thrown on my clothes, run out back to see what they were doing, run back to the front and saw the name on the trucks, it was pretty much too late. My PB wasn't there yet, so it would have been a matter of me telling them to pack it all up and leave. I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't have the courage to stand up to three huge trucks and a big crew of men already crawling all over my yard.

From looking at pictures of other local TFP-ers' gunite job by the number one company, the finish work was not as pretty. But all in all after plaster, I can't tell a difference.

The 'number one' gunite company also does PebbleTec. They did mine, and I can say the quality of the workers was noticeable. I'm glad they did the plaster - the finishing touch. They fixed all the flawed gunite surfaces - uneven steps, undeveloped back beam of the bench, the spoon like dip in the shallow end, etc.

I hope in your case building in the winter, there won't be as big of a scramble like there was in the spring. Gunite crews were stretched pretty thin because of all the rains we had then.

So get it in writing with any builder you sign with. I believe we survived the 'third choice' gunite company, but for my next pool (lol!), I will get number one for the gunite. I would rest a little easier knowing their quality and their warranty service.

Suz.

Thanks Suz! I didn't realize they didn't do your gunite. Whoever we sign with, I will definitely get it in writing.

I am anxious to see what they design, while my husband is more concerned about how much it's gonna cost! LOL!

Hopefully y'all are staying dry and flood-free...

Thanks, Marla, we are not flooded, thank goodness. By the looks of weather radar, ya'll inside the loop are getting worse than us. Does your section flood usually?

I keep checking the pool. Since plaster and fill, this is our first big, big rain event. We've had some good rains, but not the all-day-pouring rains. So far, the overflow drain is keeping the water level just under the coping. I have no idea how many inches we've had, but it must be several. If the rain were coming down much heavier, I'm not sure the overflow drain could keep up.

One suggestion I have for you... Take advantage of this deluge we're getting before your pool and deck plans are made. In the morning, really check out your drainage situation. I'm sure you're very familiar with your drainage patterns. But now look at it with a new eye - with your pool and deck in mind. In my case, taking the deck to the garage wall creates water seepage into the garage when we get very heavy rains like today. That wasn't a problem before the pool and deck. We always had flower beds next to the garage so those held the water. But the pool is just barely raised so rains won't flow into the pool. That means the deck runs slightly downward from the pool to the garage. And there goes the rainwater into the garage. It's not a huge problem, but it could have been avoided if I had thought of that when the deck was installed. I think I will look into gutters for that strip along the garage to help some.

You may not have a similar situation, but it won't hurt to carefully consider the drainage with your 'new' backyard.

Take care and stay dry!
Suz.

Great suggestion, Suz. I believe our backyard is sloped to drain down the middle of our driveway. Good to know about the garage. I did want to keep a small green area next to it for liriope or something, so that's good to know.

Our street does not flood. During Ike and Allison, the water in the curb came into our yard only a couple of inches. Those are the only 2 times that's happened in the 34 years we've lived here.

Staying dry,

Marla

Glad your pool is not overflowing!

Just a little update- I've finally met with all 4 PBs. Was supposed to have met 2 last Saturday, but with the rain was only able to meet with one. This Saturday afternoon we are going out to a PB's showroom to see our first design and see their sample pools and stuff. I will post the design as soon as I can. I would guess the others will be coming in within the next week or so. Will keep you posted, if interested. If not, I'll post anyway and y'all can just skim over it! :joker:

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I should call this first one PB 1.

I would call the first one you see and post to us as PB#1 or whatever helps you and us know who is who as we help you spend your money! LOL

Take a huge pad of paper to make notes on. Do you have the list of questions to ask?

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's never too early to ask any question. How they address all of your concerns (questions) is the best way to help you decide which PB is the one for you.

Just a little update- I've finally met with all 4 PBs. Was supposed to have met 2 last Saturday, but with the rain was only able to meet with one. This Saturday afternoon we are going out to a PB's showroom to see our first design and see their sample pools and stuff. I will post the design as soon as I can. I would guess the others will be coming in within the next week or so. Will keep you posted, if interested. If not, I'll post anyway and y'all can just skim over it! :joker:

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I should call this first one PB 1.
Good luck Marla. We're at about the same place, we've received 5 bids and have gone out to the top two PBs on our list. Now we need to decide who to use

Get ready to fall off your chair with the pricing...that has been my experience so far.
Several PB'S will be reluctant to give you their design. ..thinking you will take it and get it built from someone else. So please don't be upset if they tell you that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Now IS the time to ask the questions. Their answers could be the tipping point........it is a good time to see if they can handle someone who knows more than the average bear as far as pools and builds go..........they are used to people who just nod and said "you are the expert so do what you want".

I wanna see!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.