A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Well they were back out today. Just got an email that said the FC was 5. I didn't test this morning but will do it tonight. Also said the salt was 2600, but the aqua pure read 3000 this morning. Pool Service added 1 lb sodium bicarbonate. Why would they do that? These are the numbers he sent:

FC 5
TA 70
pH 7.6

He must think the TA too low??

Have I mentioned that I'll be glad when their time is up??!!

I tested and the FC was 13 and pH was 7.8. I didn't test TA since he'd just put in baking soda, but it's been pretty consistent at 80. I also added my 40 lb bag of salt to raise it up to 3000. I am not sure my AquaLink gives me correct numbers. This morning it read 3000 and when I got home it was at 2100. Although I did read it just as it turned on this morning so maybe that was my mistake.

Yeh the SWGs seem to report quite variable numbers. I think they just measure the conductivity of the water and translate that as salt. You can buy a salt test kit from TF Test Kits (the Taylor K-1766, accurate to +/- 200 PPM) or pick up some test strips (accurate to +/- 400). But really, you should be fine and I wouldn't worry about it unless the SWG gives you a low-salt message.

When you're ready, do all the numbers and I or Kim will provide some thoughts. Everything looks fine, but it's probably a good time to make sure everything is well balanced for your beautiful new plaster.

Marla are you "allowed" to mess with your SWG? I think you need to dial it back a tiny bit.

I wonder if the PB will allow you to stop the visits? He knows you have the test kit AND how to use it so he might say sure you take care of it.

Kim:cat:

Kim, I just found out that was the last complimentary pool service. Yeah! Of course, they are going to send me a proposal for continuing their services. I will politely say "No thank you. I've got this."

Of course, now that I've added the salt, it's raining again. At least it's not a downpour.

Here are today's numbers. As I expected, the baking soda raised the TA, so now I need to add MA to lower my pH and TA.

FC 12
CC 0
CH 400
TA 90 for light pink, 100 for bright pink
CYA 70
pH 8.2

So should I use the light pink number for TA or the bright pink?

I sense that you've got this part all covered as well... your water is in scaling territory before the acid addition. If you settle the water in at a CSI of -0.2 to -0.1, you should stay pristine and see very little scale on the SWG cell. To get there, I had to enter pH 7.5 in Pool Math. Is that what you got?

Are you letting your FC drop?

Yes, I am trying to let the FC drop. I didn't turn the salt cell off, but down to 5%. I just added about 36 oz of MA (I have a 4 cup measuring cup and didn't fill it all the way, then filled it some again) so that should lower the TA by 13 and drop the pH by .82. I can always turn on the water feature to get the pH back up if needed. Friday may see a lot of pool action, so that may help drop the FC. It is slowly dropping.

I love Pool Math! Thanks to whoever (JasonLion?) created it!

Is TA the cause of scaling?

In part, the TA is, yes. Chemists around here can explain it better. But at a high school chem level, it's essentially calcium in solution combining with carbon and oxygen and forming a solid. Too much calcium, too high a pH, and readily available carbon dioxide all work together. (I think a grade 10er might get 1 maybe 2 out of 3 for my feeble answer, haha)

In practical terms, lowering your TA will reduce the speed of your upward pH creep.

Yeh, Pool Math is amazing! The other thing that needs to be said is that once you get your numbers in range, you may never look at CSI again. It's kind of a tweaking thing you can fuss with if you're keen. TFPs recommended levels were developed with good CSI taken into account.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think she likes the step marker tiles and pool finish. But she's curious why there's no "chlorine" smell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.