#8 vs #9 Winterizing Plug

I would suggest either # 8 plugs that are tucked in deep or # 10 plugs that slightly stick out. Never worked with # 9's, and I do believe they are not a good fit.

Your smaller, the (#8 plug), or about 3/4 of the back will sit past the threads, and 1/4 of the front will sit in the back of the threads, that is for the Hayward the SP1408, which is used in most pools. The plug will be recessed in with the threads still exposed.

Your larger, the (#10 plug), or about 3/4 of the back will sit inside the threaded port, and 1/4 of the front will stick out of the threads, past the liner.

I will take a picture of both in the SP1408 with the # 8 plug and # 10 plug within the next few days and upload them for viewing. If you were to use the # 8 plugs, I would suggest the Extended Winter Pool Plugs - Various Sizes extended # 8 plugs as these will be easier to tighten and get in flush. You could work with both and see which ones you like best. The cost of each plug (not the extended version) is inexpensive.

If you look at my thread, there are pictures of the # 10 and #8 plugs, how the # 10 sticks out and how the # 8 is recessed in.

Concept of closing an IG Swimming Pool

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

This is the one I use on my 1 1/2 " return Aqualuminator after I take bulb out.
It fills the whole cavity of the return and not just a section at the end, where as others do that I have tried. causing them to pop out after water level re-rises from snow and ice build up and when it starts to thaw, any movement of ice/ /water would put a side force on it.. I have an AG pool so not sure how a IG return compares.
It fits very well and tight.
Winter Plug 1.5 w/ Nylon Wing Nut

The wing nut should always be at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock position. IG pools have returns that are pretty low. Very seldom does water freeze that low in NJ. I am not aware of any member every stating that water has frozen 18" down locally, but I am certain some parts of the country this happens. There have been members that reported plugs popping out, but that is extremely rare in NJ, and I could only assume that the lines were not cleared properly during the winterization process in other parts of the country and ice expanded with great force.

Plugs do and will pop out. The freeze thaw messes with them. 18” of ice is very normal. In fact in my area we have seen 40”. There is a reason threaded winterizing plugs are used in deep freeze areas. They never back out.

I did see on another post on this forum a few weeks ago about the position of the wingnut, made sense to me that it could help so that is where I positioned it this time. Never payed attention before.
Those shorter plugs just never worked all winter for me, usually let loose in late feb.
I disconnect all my lines , move equip. indoors and vacuum all lines dry.I am not sure about no more than 18 inch freeze for me, this thing seems like a solid block of ice.
I lower my pool 6 inches below return which leaves maybe 32"? we can be on average down to 11 deg ea day and a wind chill of -45 sometimes.

great to know about the thread, will have to search for it.
Not to throw this topic off about plugs but mine has never re started after lock out of low water pressure when pump turns off from timer . Called them but never heard back,

great to know about the thread, will have to search for it.

Gulfstream (Heat Pump)

Heat Pump recommendations - Gulf Stream - Page 2

Your water will probably heat up faster as the sun beats down on the sides of the pool (AGP) vs. (IGP), unless you have a deck around it.

Not to throw this topic off about plugs but mine has never re started after lock out of low water pressure when pump turns off from timer . Called them but never heard back,

I am not understanding your question. Can you please be a little more specific.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.